Another QB for Chiefs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

The Chiefs signed Omar Jacobs, and assigned him to NFL Europa. Jacobs was in Steelers camp last year, and spent time on their practice squad. Apparently his athleticism is quite impressive, and he has good size. He played in the MAC, which has a pretty fair record for producing passers in recent years.

Whether he is valued above CP probably depends on his performance in Europe (pardon me, Europa). I am not sure what to make of the fact that Printers wasn't sent over.

Everyone expects the Chiefs to lose Huard, but they may still want to bring in a veteran backup.

This is the blurb from the Chiefs site:

Jacobs (6-4, 232) began his NFL career as a fifth-round draft pick (164th overall) with Pittsburgh in 2006, but was released prior to the start of the regular season, spending one week on the club?s practice squad. The Delray Beach, Florida native also spent the final six weeks of the 2006 season on the Eagles developmental squad. In 25 games of action with Bowling Green, Jacobs set school records with 71 career touchdown passes and a 64.5 completion percentage. His 41-to-4 touchdown to interception ratio in 2004 established an NCAA Division I-A single-season record and earned him second-team All-America honors. Jacobs was a first-team all-conference and second team all-state selection at Atlantic Community High School in Delray Beach, Florida.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

NFLE has been a bit of a graveyard for prospects in recent years. In fact, the only reason why the NFL is keeping it going is for PR and marketing purposes - as a developmental league, its record has been spotty at best. Now that the NFL is allowing expanded practice rosters, NFLE has pretty much exhausted its usefuness in terms of producing NFL regulars.

All of this to say I wouldn't read much into this development one way or another...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Tighthead
Legend

They only expanded practice rosters two spots didn't they?

You may be right about regulars though. After the success of Delhomme, Warner and some others, it has been pretty quiet. Probably some decent development for depth guys at the less high profile positions.

I would say it gives CP all the more incentive to work hard in the offseason...
kidder
Rookie

Note to Casey ; go down to your local mall and find a more qualified manager,............... it shouldn't take long. After you sober him up, start makin plans to return to the CFL, cause you have the "wrong stuff" for the NFL ................. . Be prepared to leave all shoulder chip's, bad attitudes, hissey fit's, and in general,.............imature behaviour @ the border. WELCOME,......... join any team (but the Lion's), and have the time of your life............................ Walk towards the light Casey .................. You may even get a crack @ the cup in three years or so ..................
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The grass is not always greener on the other side....
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The grass is not always greener on the other side....
Really? Don't tell that to these guys....

http://www.wtamu.edu/%7Ecrobinson/Greener/Cattle1.jpg
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Omar Jacobs couldn't do any better than the Stampeders practice roster. I doubt he'll do much in Kansas City. Having seen both play, Casey is clearly the better of the two.
Tighthead
Legend

Cro,

Are you sure he was with the Stamps last year?
squishy35
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:

He's right, it does look a little bit greener.....

West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I thought Jacobs was on the Bombers neg list....not Stamps prectice roster. :?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:

:wink: :wink: :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Omar Jacobs couldn't do any better than the Stampeders practice roster. I doubt he'll do much in Kansas City. Having seen both play, Casey is clearly the better of the two.
Two years ago.
Tighthead
Legend

He was only drafted last year - I think you have him mixed up with someone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Jacobs