Ryan Thelwell...at BC Buzz!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bcbuzz

Hey everybody,

Lionbackers.com and BC Buzz.ca have come together to connect you with exclusive BC Lions features and interviews...check us out at http://www.bcbuzz.ca.

This week, we chat with Ryan Thelwell. Even if he's leaving us...he's still one entertaining guy. Simply go to BC Buzz.ca and click on "Sports Bar". You can stream the show immediately or right-click download.

Since BC Buzz is new, I would welcome your feedback both on our site and the shows. And of course, we can discuss the show (and Ryan's future) in this forum.

Cheers,
Dave
Shelion
Champion

Very cool! :rockin:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Welcome Dave and bcbuzz! Looks like a great site, and I hope this will be a good partnership! :rockin:
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

Listening now, and of course even knowing the circumstances of Thelwell's position with the Lions currently, he is still using the us, we and my when talking about the Lions. He gives kudos to Simon as the best receiver in the CFL. TO is the best in the NFL.

I wonder now with the latest on the JC development whether Wally has a change of heart......all I can say is that RT is one classy CFLer. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
bcbuzz

Thanks for the early positive feedback!
bcbuzz

Rammer:

I agree, Thelwell was classy. I should mention, I did the interview at our launch event called WinterBuzz at Nat Bailey Stadium. The whole event was for the Food Bank (we collected 35 boxes of food and over $1000)...and I'm sure Ryan's presence helped the cause.

I mean, you can fake being a nice guy, you can fake caring about the team. But if Ryan is really being shown the door...then I expect his motivation for being fake would decline. Just sitting down with him, one-to-one...I could tell he was legit.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:I wonder now with the latest on the JC development whether Wally has a change of heart......all I can say is that RT is one classy CFLer. :thup:
That's what I was thinking to. He did say in the interview he was meeting with Wally the next day.
Boy... would love to be a fly on the wall in Wally's office these days. :lol:

And nice job Dave. :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Rammer wrote:I wonder now with the latest on the JC development whether Wally has a change of heart......all I can say is that RT is one classy CFLer. :thup:
That's what I was thinking to. He did say in the interview he was meeting with Wally the next day.
Boy... would love to be a fly on the wall in Wally's office these days. :lol:

And nice job Dave. :thup:
The Thelwell interview is just prior to the meeting that Wally told him he will no longer be in the Lions plans. Of course it still sounds like Ryan would love to be a Lion, and if JC was moved that may be an option for Wally, pending the return value.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Dave, have listened to the shows for a week now an am very impressed, keep up the good work!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
bcbuzz

Two things:

1) Are you concerned that the loss of key players (ie. Kidd, possibly Thelwell) will have a significant negative impact on the Lions next season? Or are these older veterans who are past their prime anyways?

2) Reading the positive feedback has been most appreciated. Thank you all.

-Dave
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kidd and Thelwell are both excellent players and have contributed to the Lions success. Both are in their 30's and are past their prime. In my opinion they still have some football left in them but Buono has a history of ridding some of veterans to bring in younger players. What Buono is doing is not much different than what Sam Pollack did when he was the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens and we know what type of winning record they have.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Remember a couple of years ago, Buono brought in 2 new corners, Young and Marsh to replace aging veterans Da'Shann Austin and Eric Carter.

That raised a lot of eyebrows. Young went on to becoming an all-star in his rookie year and eventually being cut by Wally.

Due respect, the Lions have a plethora of receivers and linebackers. With the up-and-comers waiting in the wings, maybe he feels that they won't miss much without RT and CK.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

bcbuzz wrote:Two things:

1) Are you concerned that the loss of key players (ie. Kidd, possibly Thelwell) will have a significant negative impact on the Lions next season? Or are these older veterans who are past their prime anyways?

2) Reading the positive feedback has been most appreciated. Thank you all.

-Dave
1. It's sad to see Thelwell go because he was a key player in the last couple seasons, yet IMO it's time for Boden to get some playing time, and who knows, maybe Wiley King will return to Training Camp better than last season and be offered a position.

If Jackson, Simon, Colon, Jones, Boden are our receivers (assuming Clermont goes bye-bye), I think we'd be a contender for the Cup for sure.

As for Kidd it really sucks to see him go. Great leader for the team and a fan favourite, it'll be hard to see him go for sure.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion