Making room for printers?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

just wondering about the recent cuts of players from the argos (bonner,soward etc.) is in the hope the argos can use the free cash to sign printers? i don't have any inside info or anything but aren't players like england,bonner,soward still pretty useful. anyway any comments? I am a little irritated we have not signed clermont yet although i realize he still has a full year to go.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

Argos had one of the largest salaries that side of Edmonton, they had to make some $M$ cuts, just to get in line with the $4.05M being imposed for 07.

If Printers comes along, they will find a loophole for most of his salary or make further cuts, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am sure I am not the first to think of this, but if printers was to incorporate, then he would become printers inc. :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
LFITQ
Team Captain

I also look at some of these cuts as a way for the Argos to start getting a little younger. In at least 2 of the cases, they are more like making room for youth to step in.

England is gone for Johnson, and I would bet they have a younger replacement for Bonner.

Soward is not a large loss as he was only good for the odd long bomb. Take that away and he was useless as a possession receiver. So get someone younger in there and you can improve right there.

the other two, from what I have read, were injury prone so they may be looking at replacements in any regards.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:I also look at some of these cuts as a way for the Argos to start getting a little younger.
They should start with #9
LFITQ
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
LFITQ wrote:I also look at some of these cuts as a way for the Argos to start getting a little younger.
They should start with #9
I said "a LITTLE" younger. That would make them A LOT younger. 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

It should have been obvious, watching the Argos, that this was more or less the end of the line for a lot of this team. In addition to getting under the cap, they also need to rebuild a line that served them well for years, and break in someone new under center.

Fortunately, they're in the East, so they should still be playoff worthy.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If they are dumping salaries in order to fit CP within the SMS then I am happy that they are taking the cap seriously.

But the cynic in me says that the CFL will turn a blind eye to the Argos paying whatever it takes to get CP because (everyone repeat after me), "what's good for Toronto is good for the league".

If that's the case then it's here we go again....
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I also find it hard to believe the Argos will be dumping salaries in a Grey Cup year. If anything they will be loading up in a Grey Cup year, especially should the "cap" not really be in place.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With Damon Allen in probable retirement and Michael Bishop not completely proven himself to be a starter yet, then Casey Printers should be a great match for the Argos.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be a bit surprise if #9 lines up with the Argos next year again.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I wouldn't be a bit surprise if #9 lines up with the Argos next year again.
yup. the only question is, what name will be on the jersey :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I wouldn't be a bit surprise if #9 lines up with the Argos next year again.
yup. the only question is, what name will be on the jersey :wink:
Damon Allen you silly ! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, Damon Allen really struggled toward the second half of 2006 and he definitely showed signs of aging. Although I mentioned that Bishop didn't prove to be a starter just yet, 2007 may just be his season and he may win the starting job away from Damon Allen.