Vote Rory Fitzpatrick into the NHL All-Star Game!

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If chosen, is Fitzpatrick obligated to show ? He knows it's a total farce
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Do fans get to vote for the NHL All-Star Game MVP too?
Passaglia
All Star

Whoever likes this idea is a loser and not a real hockey fan.
Don Miller
Legend

:thdn: THis is a farce that shows how rediculous the NHL is by voting for players by the fans. The coaches, media should be voting. The NHL all star game has become a fan ballot stuffing exercise. Bettman has got his wish.. basketball on ice! Having a guy like Fitzpatrick just shows that fans can continue to vote as often as they like for a particular player. It will be interesting to see if the NHL do anything to prevent this from happening again. I think all stars can be picked but no game.. The game is nothing more than a game of shinny..no hits for obvious reasons. I recall our CFL all star game, it was also a groaner.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Bosco
Team Captain

An extreme example of fan balloting run amok was the 1957 Cincinatti Reds. A Cincinatti newspaper printed daily ballots and encouraged all Reds fans to stuff the ballot box - as a result, 7 Reds were voted to the MLB All Star game starting lineup.

The fallout from of the shenanigans? Balloting was taken away from baseball fans from 1958 until 1970.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The coaches, media should be voting
screw the media, only the coaches, GM's, players, past and present, should vote.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
The coaches, media should be voting
screw the media, only the coaches, GM's, players, past and present, should vote.
I agree particularly with the current unbalanced schedule. The media in the west for example get to see some eastern team once every 3 years. Can you expect an eastern media type to know what is going on with the Anaheim Ducks ?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Geez, you people sure are getting worked up over something that's for all intents and purposes, little more than a marketing gimmick to begin with... and I'm talking about the All-Star Game in general here.

Maybe if the outcome meant something, like in MLB where, IIRC, the winning league gets home-field advantage for the World Series, then this all would make a difference... but it really doesn't.

So big deal. The "Vote For Rory" thing is itself generating a little extra publicity for the league as well. Get over it already. Children are starving for hockey in China, FFS!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Grandmaster C
Starter

Soundy wrote:Geez, you people sure are getting worked up over something that's for all intents and purposes, little more than a marketing gimmick to begin with... and I'm talking about the All-Star Game in general here.

Maybe if the outcome meant something, like in MLB where, IIRC, the winning league gets home-field advantage for the World Series, then this all would make a difference... but it really doesn't.

So big deal. The "Vote For Rory" thing is itself generating a little extra publicity for the league as well. Get over it already. Children are starving for hockey in China, FFS!

:whs:

Plus, if you don't vote for Rory, that means that the terrorists have already won. :no:

8)
R.I.P. Bob
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Vote For Rory Ad #1

Vote for Rory Ad#2

:lol: :lol:

some guy came up with these ads :lol:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Yeah, those only work if you have the VERY LATEST Flash player (and I mean VERY latest - I have a slightly earlier version of Flash 9 and they wouldn't play).
(\__/)
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Rory Ad#1

Rory Ad#2

from youtube
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The only problem with this vote for Rory thing is that if he is unjustifiably on the team, then that means that someone who should be on the team is not and the fans of that player who wanted to see him play in the game become ripped off. In other words, this is fans hurting fans, not to mention reducing the quality of the all star game itself.

Also, the person getting bumped has one less all star on his resume and sometimes this things matter, maybe even make a difference in future negotiations??

Bottom line is, injustice and wrong is injustice and wrong, no matter what the situation. IMHO.

I could care less myself as far as NHL goes, but it would really piss me off if it happened in the CFL. Can you imagine a push for Ted White, or Keven Feterik(sp?), or Paopao jr?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Yeah, the thing is, it's still largely a popularity contest... how many "deserving" players will get "bumped" because the fans are voting for someone else who gets more press time, or is better-spoken dealing with the press, or is just plain cuter?

The fact is, agents, scouts, and GMs know exactly how much stock to put in a player's appearence in the All-Star game: none. Nobody's career is going to be hurt because someone else beat them out for the ASG one year. For that matter, if you want to look at it from a purely hockey-business standpoint, a player's carrer is probably safer if he DOESN'T go to the ASG and risk an injury in a game that means nothing to the season. What happens to the Canucks if Ohlund takes a slapshot in the leg and misses a half-dozen games?

Look, Rory knows this is all in fun. EVERY other player they've asked about it realizes it's all in fun, and are getting a kick out of it. If THEY'RE not getting wound up about it, why is anyone else?
(\__/)
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:For that matter, if you want to look at it from a purely hockey-business standpoint, a player's carrer is probably safer if he DOESN'T go to the ASG and risk an injury in a game that means nothing to the season. What happens to the Canucks if Ohlund takes a slapshot in the leg and misses a half-dozen games?
Look what happened to the Canucks d-core after the Torino Games? They had to go get Weinrich, Carney and Brown, all because they lost man-games to injuries which occured outside of NHL competition.