40,557 will make largest regular season crowd in 12 years

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

If we can hit 40,557 Friday, it will make for the largest regular season crowd in 12 years, since the 40,556 for the season finale vs. Calgary in 1994, where we lost.....
Rammer
Team Captain

If the Lions can add to the hype that this game brings with a little trash talk banter, that should be doable. Heck, I even understand a couple of my friends that only go to a game when the feeling is right are going. This is the type of game that you can measure the maximum amount of fans for a regular season game, and make sure that you perform for them to come back next game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

You also have to take this blurb in the Calgary papers into consideration....

- Couldn't handle road elements.

They'll almost certainly have to win on the road if they plan on reaching the Grey Cup, but the Stamps show few signs of being capable.

In front of a crowd that didn't generate half the noise as fans in B.C. Place, Calgary's offence took illegal-procedure and time-count penalties and, at times, seemed overwhelmed.

- Burris was in a funk.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's disappointing that not even the season openers of the 1995 and 2001 seasons as defending Grey Cup champions drew a large crowd, while there was a huge crowd for the 1986 season opener.
Bosco
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:It's disappointing that not even the season openers of the 1995 and 2001 seasons as defending Grey Cup champions drew a large crowd, while there was a huge crowd for the 1986 season opener.
Times have certainly changed under the Ackles / Buono banner. Two weeks after the 2000 Grey Cup, the Lions were deep into hibernation mode and they would have been no more than a rumour on the local scene. The seson opener crowd in 2001 was a reflection of their lack of marketing efforts.

It's a different era nowadays. :yes:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I was driving up Kingsway when a guy spotted my Lions flag on my car. He knocked on my door and asked when's the next BC Lion game. When I told him that it's this Friday against Calgary, he said that he and his wife will be going to that game. The interest is out there.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I just don't know if we are going to see that big of number. Based on Ticketmaster... sales seem to behind the pace of the Montreal game.

It is the biggest game of the year but it will still take backseat to another league and another team in town that is about to open its regular season on Thursday night.
We may think it shouldn't on here but this is not the pulse of the casual sports fans in Vancouver.

Lions could also do themselves a favour and run some different ads hyping the significance of the game rather than their run-of-the-mill stuff.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

We seem to get a lot of long weekend games. I know the Thanksgiving long weekend is not a lets get outta town one but still.... I think we'll be lucky to break 35000. Hope to be wrong.....
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I just don't know if we are going to see that big of number. Based on Ticketmaster... sales seem to behind the pace of the Montreal game.

It is the biggest game of the year but it will still take backseat to another league and another team in town that is about to open its regular season on Thursday night.
We may think it shouldn't on here but this is not the pulse of the casual sports fans in Vancouver.

Lions could also do themselves a favour and run some different ads hyping the significance of the game rather than their run-of-the-mill stuff.
Not to sound too critical but I think we need more leadership from the top. Where is Bob Ackles these days? I haven't seen him in front of a microphone for months.

Would it hurt to hold a presser saying "Due to the positive response we've had from season ticket holders we're extending the playoff renewal deadline," which can segue into "we're expecting a big crowd on Friday night, so get your tickets early blah, blah." You could spin/make anything up...just get the word out there to entice the casual fan! A winning and entertaining team is vital but IMO isn't enough to cut through the clutter in this crowded market to take it to the next tier (25K season tickets and 40K+ single game attendance).

I seem to recall more Lions press conferences when Debbie Butt and Diana Schultz were in charge of the team's communications.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Not to sound too critical but I think we need more leadership from the top. Where is Bob Ackles these days? I haven't seen him in front of a microphone for months.

Would it hurt to hold a presser saying "Due to the positive response we've had from season ticket holders we're extending the playoff renewal deadline," which can segue into "we're expecting a big crowd on Friday night, so get your tickets early blah, blah." You could spin/make anything up...just get the word out there to entice the casual fan! A winning and entertaining team is vital but IMO isn't enough to cut through the clutter in this crowded market to take it to the next tier (25K season tickets and 40K+ single game attendance).

I seem to recall more Lions press conferences when Debbie Butt and Diana Schultz were in charge of the team's communications.

DH 8)
I agree David... and this is why they should be pulling out all the bells and whistles to lure the casual fans on Friday night.
If things go our way this weekend, it will mean the Lions will have two meaningless remaining games at home which will make it tough to attract a significant walk-up crowd (this is another reason why they need to play more than one home game in September!).

And today would have been purrfect for one of those press conferences to drum up the hype, especially since the team didn't practice (there will likely be no news in tomorrow's papers) and the start of the NHL season is still a couple of days away.

Since the Montreal home game, I've seen one print ad for Calgary game and that was in yesterday's Province. They should have jumped on the promotion wagon sooner. It was clear a month ago this was going to be a big game.
Dan Russell
Legend

I just don't know if we are going to see that big of number. Based on Ticketmaster... sales seem to behind the pace of the Montreal game.

I completely agree that the Canucks will take some people away from watching the Lions like they usually do.
squishy35
Legend

Dan Russell wrote:

I completely agree that the Canucks will take some people away from watching the Lions like they usually do.

Ok Dan :roll:

Go back to your radio show now.
BEEECEEE
All Star

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:I just don't know if we are going to see that big of number. Based on Ticketmaster... sales seem to behind the pace of the Montreal game.

Not to sound too critical but I think we need more leadership from the top. Where is Bob Ackles these days? I haven't seen him in front of a microphone for months.

DH 8)

I'd have to agree 10000% as well. Why the hell don't they take this opportunity and run with it? Jesus!
Formely sfu_guy
nelson95
Legend

The crowd will be big following the Canucks 7-0 loss in Detroit on Thursday
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Hutch85
All Star

How about an ad like "Yeah, we know hockey started, but you still have 80-odd games to go... you have precious few left for football " ??

I wish the season was longer...