World Hockey Association

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I have not read or heard about the WHA being in existence.
kx96

World Hockey Association
This Sunday, Jan.7, Game Time: 2:15pm
Queens Park Arena, New Westminster ( corner of 1st street and 3rd avenue ) tickets $8 adults, and $5 kids.

New Westminster Whalers VS. Armstrong Sharks

The Whalers, coached by NHL Legend "Iron Man" Garry Unger remain undefeated at home in regulation time. ( 13 wins and 1 OT loss )

Both teams are fast and skilled. This should be a high scoring, wide open match up.

Fans can take part in the WHA Puck Toss during the 2nd Intermission - Presented by Me n' Eds Pizza.

web site: http://www.officialwha.com
Lionut
Hall of Famer

kx96, you obviously have some kind of connection to the league, so I'll bounce this off you:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_ht ... _id=198095

What are we to make of this? It seemed very strange to me that the old WHA name was being used to front a six team league in BC for kids who couldn't make WHL and BCHL rosters, and this just adds to the intrigue. Comments?
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Tighthead
Legend

Ahh - "publicly traded" on the bulletin board. I could issue shares in my dog with the pink sheets.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

That's what I mean - it almost seems as if someone decided to reactivate the WHA name either to, a) keep in play so that they don't lose the legal right to use it, and/or b) make a quick buck by trading on the name. Not to pick on the kids who are playing, but the quality of play and scope of the league is, err, pretty modest, so there is clearly another agenda at play here.
kx96

The next action for the New Westminster Whalers is this Sunday!
(The Whalers play every sunday afternoon at 2:15pm till March 11th)

World Hockey Association.
New Westminster Whalers vs. Lumby Fighting Saints
Sunday, Jan.14, Game Time: 2:15pm
Queens Park Arena in New Westminster ( corner of 1st street and 3rd Avenue )

The Whalers Defeated the Armstrong Sharks 5-2 yesterday to hang on to top spot in the WHA. Lumby is right behind in 2nd place.

Whalers vs. Fighting Saints will be a battle of WHA Heavyweights!

And so...
The Special guest will be legendary WHL ( New Westminster Bruins and Winnipeg Warriors) and AHL ( Rochester Americans ) Tough guy Andy Ristau.

It's great to have hockey back on the ice in New Westminster!
David
Team Captain

kx96 wrote:The next action for the New Westminster Whalers is this Sunday!
(The Whalers play every sunday afternoon at 2:15pm till March 11th)

World Hockey Association.
New Westminster Whalers vs. Lumby Fighting Saints
Hey, great name for a hockey league! After all, nothing says "world" to me quite like New Westminster or that cosmopolitan, sophisticated, cutting edge mecca - Lumby British Columbia. :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
kx96

Photo:
WHA President Ricky Smith along with NHL Legends Brad Park and Terry O Reilly in New Westminster on the December tour of the league. Park and O Reilly took time to meet with the fans, players and participate in practices as well.
kx96

World Hockey Association Plans Expansion
Tuesday January 9, 8:30 am ET

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Jan. 9, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- The World Hockey Association (Other OTC:WHKA.PK - News) is pleased to announce that its plans for expansion in 2007-08 could include Northern B.C., Alberta, Washington and other states along the West Coast.

Ricky Smith, president and CEO of the WHA, along with Bobby Hull, the commissioner, will be scouting out various locations and their arenas in the coming months, and by next season, the league plans to grow from its current six teams to approximately sixteen teams. ``We have been contacted by over 12 different cities in B.C. and Washington and other states and provinces,'' said Smith. ``It is apparent that our brand of hockey, and the fact that it does not cost the parents anything to have their sons play, is attractive to many.''

The WHA is gaining more momentum as evident from the recent visits by Brad Park and Terry O'Reilly (former Boston Bruins players under Don Cherry) who met with players and coaches alike during their recent five day visit. ``We couldn't be happier to have the support of two NHL legends like Brad Park and Terry O'Reilly. It just goes to show what an exciting league we're all a part of. These two gentlemen could be doing any number of other things, but they've decided to take an active role in supporting the WHA Junior Hockey League,'' stated Ricky Smith of the WHA.

About the World Hockey Association

The WHA is an alternative junior hockey league for skilled 16 to 20 year old players. The WHA is affordable entertainment for the whole family. The WHA's goal is to promote the highest standard of sportsmanship and to train players to become future professional hockey players. For 2006, the WHA will feature six teams that include the New Westminster Whalers, the Squamish Cougars, the Bellingham Bulls, the Osoyoos Spurs, the Armstrong Sharks, and the Lumby Fighting Saints.
kx96

Updated: Oct. 19, 2006, 8:06 PM ET
Movie based on Howe's WHA stint plannedAssociated Press

LOS ANGELES -- A movie based on the origins of the World Hockey Association and Gordie Howe's brief stint in the league is in the works.

Producers Howard and Karen Baldwin announced the project Monday night, when the Los Angeles Kings hosted the Detroit Red Wings, Howe's former team. It was the 60th anniversary of Howe's first NHL goal.

Howe, known as "Mr. Hockey," led Detroit to four Stanley Cup championships and scored 1,071 goals during a pro career that began in 1946.

The Baldwins will produce the movie with David E. Kelley ("Boston Legal" and "Ally McBeal"), who will oversee the script. Howe will be an executive producer, along with Mike Ilitch Jr., whose family owns the Red Wings.

"The World Hockey Association was part of my life growing up," Kelley said in a statement released Tuesday. "Gordie Howe has always been an idol, so this project has special meaning for me."

The film will focus on the 1973-74 WHA season, when, at 44, Howe returned to pro hockey after two years in retirement and played on the same team as his sons, Mark and Marty. The elder Howe led the Houston Aeros to the championship and was named league MVP.

"I am really excited that this film has come to fruition," Howe said. "The thrill of playing with my two sons that first year in Houston could only be surpassed by telling the story on the big screen."

The Baldwins and Kelley worked together on the 1999 hockey movie "Mystery, Alaska," starring Russell Crowe.

Howard Baldwin owned the defunct Hartford Whalers for 17 years, including Howe's final three years with the NHL team, and later owned the Pittsburgh Penguins for eight years. Kelley's father, Jack, was GM and coach of the Whalers.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
kx96

This Sunday afternoon at 2:15pm, it's the Battle for the Border!

New Westminster Whalers VS. Bellingham Bulls
This Sunday, Jan. 21, Queen's Park Arena (corner of 1st Street and 3rd Avenue ) in New West. Game Time: 2:15pm. Tickets $8 adults and $5 children

The WHA North American Bowl season series continues between these 2 teams and features some of the top Superstars in the World Hockey Association.

Fans can participate in the WHA Puck Toss during the 2nd Intermission, presented by Me n' Eds Pizza!
see you in Beautiful New Westminster this Sunday!
http://www.officialwha.com
kx96

photo:
Bellingham Bulls faceoff against the Lumby Fighting saints
Lionut
Hall of Famer

kx, that must be an older photo, given that the gentleman in the photo, Gary Scott, resigned as Vice President of the league back on October 15...
kx96

RICKY SMITH WILL APPEAR ON SPORTSNET JAN 24 @ 6.30pm & 7pm and 10pm & 11pm.. Don Taylor interviews the WHA CEO RICKY SMITH Don't Miss it.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Lionbackers.com is NOT to be used as a free advertising platform. This is to be a discussion board, and there's no discussion taking place, just the chewing of bandwidth with photos no one wants to see. This thread is locked.