Lions get egg on their face re Foley - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

You can take the boy out of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy.

Hayseed comes to mind.
hay·seed/ˈhāˌsēd/Noun
1. Grass seed obtained from hay.
2. A simple, unsophisticated person.
hayseed
Someone who shovels manure; a sh**kicker.
Someone who spends all their time on a farm away from civilization

I was wondering if Ricky was Tricky and pulling a fast one on Wally. Well, as the story unfolds, it now seems he is just an unsophisticated boy, who misses his family, who can't make up his mind, and who does not appreciate the importance of giving his word.

He and his dad were impressed with the love the Argos showed them. Ummmm ... As if they would treat them poorly in such a situation. (I guess they would be impressed with the love shown by a car salesman too). He and his dad seem vulnerable to whomever is the latest to talk to them. Talking to the Lions? Oh, yeah, let's do it. Talking to the Argos? Oh yeah. The heck with the Lions. I luv the Argos. Talking to the Lions? Argos who? I luv the Lions. Et cetera.

Beware the salesman knocking at the door. You will be buying all that they have. Until the competitor knocks.

I was very happy when we heard from the Lions that Ricky had agreed to terms.

But now I am thinking more like Wally. Ricky would have helped "a little bit." (We are not exactly lacking in talent on the D Line). Ratio help. He is an all hustle player, for sure. He contributes. But he is a flake.

Sayonara, Kid. I hope things do not become disillusioning in Toronto. Yeah, life was better in Vancouver.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I think that Tad Crawford is probably the happiest member of the Lions after this schmozzle.....at least for another week
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:You can take the boy out of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy.

Hayseed comes to mind.
hay·seed/ˈhāˌsēd/Noun
1. Grass seed obtained from hay.
2. A simple, unsophisticated person.
hayseed
Someone who shovels manure; a sh**kicker.
Someone who spends all their time on a farm away from civilization

I was wondering if Ricky was Tricky and pulling a fast one on Wally. Well, as the story unfolds, it now seems he is just an unsophisticated boy, who misses his family, who can't make up his mind, and who does not appreciate the importance of giving his word.

He and his dad were impressed with the love the Argos showed them. Ummmm ... As if they would treat them poorly in such a situation. (I guess they would be impressed with the love shown by a car salesman too). He and his dad seem vulnerable to whomever is the latest to talk to them. Talking to the Lions? Oh, yeah, let's do it. Talking to the Argos? Oh yeah. The heck with the Lions. I luv the Argos. Talking to the Lions? Argos who? I luv the Lions. Et cetera.

Beware the salesman knocking at the door. You will be buying all that they have. Until the competitor knocks.

I was very happy when we heard from the Lions that Ricky had agreed to terms.

But now I am thinking more like Wally. Ricky would have helped "a little bit." (We are not exactly lacking in talent on the D Line). Ratio help. He is an all hustle player, for sure. He contributes. But he is a flake.

Sayonara, Kid. I hope things do not become disillusioning in Toronto. Yeah, life was better in Vancouver.
All I could think of when the signing was announced was a ration breaking NI talent that would allow the Lions that much more flexibility. Combine that with the mindset of not being able to attain his services and the signing seemed to be of that found money variety. Now I am back to where I expected this all to unfold, Foley in TO and my false hope broken. I won't be as forgiving when Foley comes to town to play, as I would have had he not toyed with the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I don't think Wally was ever really that enthusiastic about Foley returning. But it he would have be negligent if he has not explored the option of Foley returning, so he talks to him only to be surprised the Foley actually agrees to terms. So now Wally's likely facing a big case of buyer's remorse... and he asks Foley "are you really, really, really, really sure this is what you want?". Foley stops for a second and thinks to himself "well if you are going to put it that way, maybe I should be going elsewhere?".

If Wally really wanted Foley on the Lions he would have had him signed, sealed, and delivered... without playing Dr. Phil.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Area51 wrote:Just to clarify - - a verbal agreement is never ever a legally binding contract. Not in sports, not in real life. That's the first thing you learn in the most basic high school law class.

Ever heard that expression about the team that wants it more is usually the team that wins? It was obvious that Barker & Rita genuinely wanted Ricky in Toronto. Buono was more concerned with salary cap flexibility and "breathing room". Questioning the limited impact a potential signee might have on the team isn't exactly the best recruiting method either.

Funny to think that the BC players did more to persuade Ricky to return than the coach/GM did. That should tell you everything you need to know about how much Buono wanted to resign Ricky.

Now Buono gets to spin the situation to look as if he was stood up and shafted - - get some sympathy and buy him a bit of temporary job security while he tries to recover. I feel bad for the BC fans seeing their best player leave town but unfortunately this is just another example of Buono puting his personal feelings/agenda ahead of the team, even if it's in the worst interests of the organization. Just as he let Jamal Johnson leave town...just as he kept Javy Glatt in as a starter...just as he keeps Chapdelaine as the OC.

People generally get off sinking ships rather than climb aboard as they're going down. And make no mistake - - BC is a sinking ship that won't be righted until Buono is finally out of there.
Well said...

All this gripping, gnashing of teeth, and wringing of hands over loosing what the Lions never obtained in the fist place.

Up until the exit of Cam Wake and Gary Butler who the hell on this board knew the potential of, much less cared who the hell Rick Foley was but PigSkin_53 and Area 51 (before joining lionbackers.com)?

As I remember it four training camps ago Foley was moved from potential starting rush end to linebacker experiment, and back to back-up rush end again, where he languished on the sidelines waiting (patience without end) to even crack the defensive rotation.

Finally when it was evident that Wake had showcased himself off adequately enough that NFL scouts were finally taking notice of him he left for Miami, leaving the “Gary Buono” project a bitter slap in the face of the guy who was forced to bite his tongue and live in the shadow of a rival who joined the club a TC latter and then was forced to ride the pine for two seasons more.

Was Foley toying with the Lion’s organization or wearing Wally like a necktie or was Wally acting in the best interest of the organization when he left Foley to twist in the wind all those seasons waiting for an opportunity to show he had what took to compete with rival Wake?

How awesome could our front four have been those two seasons with both Wake and Foley anchored by Hunt and Williams in the middle, with a waning Brent Johnson in the defensive rotation???

Did Wally serve the Lion’s best interests when he showed Foley his interests to resign him to a two-year deal for his services this week, only to show tepid mediocrity later when Foley agent up the ante, and leaving Foley the unforgivable avenue to bow out of his deal with Lions?

The “Wally worshippers” will call us “haters” just as they vilified me 2 1/2 seasons ago for calling it like I saw it then, but you can only lie to yourself so long before even you must read the writing on the wall .
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I don't agree Pigskin 53, that Foley should of replaced Brent Johnson as the starting DE in 2007 and 2008, as you suggest. The Lions offer to Foley was actually a 3-year deal, which Foley accepted on Monday and re-confirmed on Tuesday morning, even after his tearful family meeting.

Foley also reaffirmed his intentions to sign in BC during his live 1040 radio interview Tuesday morning, which took place only 75 minutes before his plane was scheduled to take off from Toronto. After his radio interview, he was supposedly driving to the airport, but decided to pop into the Argos office to "thank them for their interest in him". After meeting with the Argos, only then did he decide to reject the Lions offer. The Argos have claimed they did not increase their offer to Foley.
Foley had made his decision to join our Leos and announced it. However, Wally provided him with the opportunity to think about it a little more. Not wise.

I don't agree that Foley should have started in 2007, but should have been played more, especially in the second half of the season. We didn't rotate much in 2007 and should have. Foley definitely was ready to start in 2008 and should have shared time equally with Brent Johnson. The Butler situaiton should never have occurred.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Foley had made his decision to join our Leos and announced it. However, Wally provided him with the opportunity to think about it a little more. Not wise.
Why does this keep getting repeated? Yes I'm sure Wally said this, but it was much earlier. He had thought about it, and went back to toronto after Wally talked to him during that fatefull night. His said that after talking to his dad that BC was the place and he should do what is best for himself and not for his family. This is where he agreed, and told the argos sorry for the mislead but BC is where I must be. (unless you up the offer.. heheh)

We need a new cereal.. we've had Flutie Flakes, and now Fooley Flakes would be appropriate. lol

To those with a working copy of photoshop and cope of Fooley Flakes would be appreciated about now.. :beauty: