CFL: Rating the teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CFL.ca Power Rankings is misnamed. When the two top teams play and one team is the better team on the field for 3 of 4 quarters and wins the game, then that team becomes the new power leader.

They need to change the name to "CFL.ca Power Rankings as seen through Green Glasses".
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hate to admit it but a pretty disappointing CFL season so far. Not only have the Lions been underwhelming to date but 4 pretty crappy teams in an 8 team league is not a good ratio. At least Edmonton and Winnipeg (for now) are going with younger QBs while Montreal and Hamilton ride the arms of a 41 and 38 year old respectively.

At least there finally is some buzz leading up to Saturday's game for probably the first time this season. After that it's Hamilton and Montreal in town. Hard to make season tickets attractive when you are 6 games into a 9 game home schedule and only 2 elite teams have visited BC Place at that point.

After week 3 it was looking like the Lions entire season was coming down to the head-to-head game vs Riders and Stamps. It's become even more evident now, especially with TO now out of the way. Beating the other 4 teams will likely be nothing more than just keeping pace with their rivals.

Could the Lions actually go 11-7 or 12-6 and not look like a serious Grey Cup contender? Yep.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree. It's been an underwhelming season thus far. Too many blowouts
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We showed great character and professional pride in the hard earned victory over the Stampeders. Did it change the ratings IMO? Not much. But our victory certainly kept us in the picture.

1 Roughriders ... Are they that good? Could be. Durant seems to like playing in the offence of George Cortez. Richie Hall has the team playing tough defence. Without the miracle comeback against the Alouettes, they might not be rated #1.

2 Argonauts ... Ricky Ray has the offence humming. I think he likes playing in the offence of Scott Milanovich.

3 Stampeders ... Lost to a highly motivated Lions team. Muffed a chance to push for the victory by wasting precious seconds off the clock. They might be better than the Riders, but don't have the wins to prove it.

4 Lions ... Big win over the Stampeders. Concerns about the offence. Lulay or Chapdelaine? Stubler has shown once again that he is a defensive master. Even without the physically dominant Khalif Mitchell. We're in the picture. We're in the hunt.

5 TiCats ... Well, I did think Kent Austin would get the TiCats going in the right direction. And I did think he would get Henry Burris playing well.

6 Alouettes ... So close to victory against the Riders. Ooops ... Time to up the program for Troy Smith? Will he get his chance this year?

7 Eskimos ... Very nice to see Mike Reilly break out with a monster game. Ironically, does he look better than Travis Lulay at this time? Yeah ... The Kavis Reed Motivational Speech Tour continues. Pacing the dressing room. Asking those questions that get the guys shouting. Ummm ... Not ...

8 Bombers ... Team Chaos. So Bellefeuille is the new OC. Surprise. Not. How long until he is the Head Coach? Biggest mistake in the last few years? Firing LaPolice? Hiring Mike Kelly? Hiring Joe Mack? There are many mistakes from which to choose.

Just some comments off the top of my head. Of course the final rating is on the field. But coaching itself involves constant evaluation. From Day 1 throughout the season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/footba ... k-8-1.html
Malcolm Kelly breaks down the balance of power in the Canadian Football League:

1. CALGARY STAMPEDERS[Unchanged]
Overall record: 5-2
Streak: Lost 1

Poor week for the top-three clubs. Loss to B.C. was a weird one because the White Stallions did everything they had to for a win, and didn't. They kept the Lions offence on its heels, picked off Travis Lulay three times (he was confused by all the black helmets out there), had lots of opportunities but couldn't push through. Quarterback Kevin Glenn was fine but his receivers brought the concrete hands with them to Vancouver. Jon Cornish couldn't really get going on the night. And on a weekend of awful injuries, team leader and stud receiver Nik Lewis had a Joe Theismann moment when his ankle was crushed. One of those games where you pack up, head home and think about the next one.

2. SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS [Unchanged]
Overall record:6-1
Streak: Won 1

This week we learned for certain the Riders are a serious Grey Cup contender. How? Because they stunk up the joint at Mosaic Stadium and still found a way to beat the visiting Als on a last- second Chris Milo kick. Darian Durant needed a fabulous late strike to bring his club back and make it an OK night for the QB. Kory Sheets was held to 74 yards rushing. The Riders fumbled the ball all over the place, and simply played like they had this one in the bag before even taking the field. Don't see this type of effort happening again, this club is too strong. Though, a little better effort from the secondary would be good. And speaking of Rob Bagg, your heart has to go out to the receiver who battled back from two knee surgeries and hurt his left one again. Heartbreak.

3. TORONTO ARGONAUTS[Unchanged]
Streak: Won 4

After playing solid football for a couple of contests, the new defence had a real bad night against Edmonton, allowing 564 total yards and keeping the visitors in the game right to the end. Fred Stamps, Nate Coehoorn and the other Edmonton receivers were constantly in the clear, even when double- and triple-covered. A confused outing for the Double Blue. Then there's Ricky Ray and his 30-of-35 completions, 413 yards and three TDs. Asked about his superb QB, coach Scott Milanovich said "Ricky is really good." He can be forgiven, because the boss was steaming angry with how his team played, and rightly so. Bet they don't do that again for a while. Note: 19,656 attended this match. Yo, Toronto, this is a good team. How about showing up once in a while?

4. B.C. LIONS [Unchanged]
Streak: Won 2

This one was all defence, baby. While that guy in gun-metal grey down there playing quarterback (couldn't read his number) had an off game by tossing three picks, and that other guy in black standing behind him there only rushed for 56 yards, it was the other, other guys when Calgary had the ball that earned this one. Jokes about the "Let's sell as many shirts as we can even if no-one on television or in the stands can read the numbers" togs aside, Adam Bighill and Solomon Elimimian combined for 16 big tackles to lead the Lions defenders. They held Jon Cornish to 73 yards rushing and chased quarterback Kevin Glenn around all game. Excellent outing. That offence has to pull it together.

5. HAMILTON TIGER-CATS[Unchanged]
Overall record:3-4
Streak: Won 2

Hey, the Tiger-Cats have the Second Division figured out, having now beaten Winnipeg twice and the Eskimos once. And they've taken two straight. Smilin' Hank Burris threw for 333 yards in Manitoba, but more importantly the running game came through with 117 yards, opening up options all over the field. Dan LeFevour looked good in his backup pivot role, handling the short yardage plays and tossing for a TD himself. Still taking too many penalties, and against a real team that will come back to haunt the Kitties time and again. C.J. Gable was impressive with 147 total yards running and catching. Getting better, healthier.

6. MONTREAL ALOUETTES[Unchanged]
Overall record: 2-5
Streak: Lost 2

Feeling sorry for the Als is somewhat akin to getting emotional about IBM. Yes, they are responsible for their own troubles now - hiring the wrong coach and then firing him, waiting too long to develop the next QB, as two examples - but, golly, that's a lot of injuries. RB Brandon Whitaker was already out. Receiver Jamel Richardson is out for the year. Now, QB Anthony Calvillo has a concussion. And he's joined in the infirmary by WR Brandon London, OL Josh Bourke, LB Kyries Hebert and a bunch of others. The Josh Neiswander QB era has started a little earlier than expected in Montreal until AC is ready to go again. Shame is, this club really competed in the loss at Regina and should have won.

7. EDMONTON ESKIMOS[Up from 8]
Overall record: 1-6
Streak: Lost 5

Mike Reilly has arrived. After taking ridiculous criticism so far for not being, you know, Ricky Ray in this his first year at the starting helm of a CFL team, big No. 13 went into Toronto and threw for 511 yards on 35 completions, the fourth best performance in team history (twice by Warren Moon, once by Jason Maas). This week, the Eskimos looked like a professional football team. Kudos to offensive line coach Kris Sweet who rebuilt a unit in 14 days that had previously put Reilly's life in danger. He used two guys starting their first CFL game, and switched positions on another. Gold. So much more to do, but this was the first sign there's something here (as we mentioned there would be, a couple of weeks back). And Fred Stamps ... again. More awful schedule ahead.

8. WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS[Down from 7]
Overall record: 1-6
Streak: Lost 5

Can somebody, somewhere ... on the sidelines ... in the boardroom ... on the Route 75 Crosstown bus ... please pick a quarterback and stick with him? If Max Hall is your guy (18-for-30, 211 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks), then he's your guy. If it's Justin Goltz or Buck Pierce, fine. But pick one (1). This whole team is just a confused mess now. We see Gary Crowton has been fired as offensive coordinator, replaced by the just-arrived Marcel Bellefeuille, whom we respect while questioning his judgment in taking the job. Then there's the secondary - the one coach Tim Burke said in pre-season had to step it up. They've stepped it down. This has 1981 Toronto Argonauts all over it. They were 2-14. Note: In 1982, that team made the Grey Cup game and won it in 1983. Just being nice to the great Bomber fans.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

My perspective?
Riders
Stamps
Argos
Lions
Ticats
Als
Esks
Bombers

Will be interesting to see how some of these injuries impact the teams. Calvillo (probably short term, if any games missed) but should he return quickly Nik Lewis will be a big loss. Do the other recievers step up?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After 8 games ...

1 Riders ... Vulnerable. Not super human. Pretty dayum good record though. Most points scored. Least points allowed. Chamblin, Cortez, Hall and Taman doing good work. :thup:

2 Calgary ... Second most points scored. Second least points allowed. Hufnagel. Dickenson. 'nuff said.

3 Toronto ... Third most points scored. Pretty good defence. Scott Milanovich. Ricky Ray. 'nuff said.

4 B.C. ... Korey Banks. :thup: Fourth most points scored. Third least points allowed. Coaching?

5 Hamilton ... Kent Austin. Henry Burris working with Kent Austin. They could beat us. Twice. We could beat them. Twice. I think. It will be interesting. They are moving up the ratings. Will they all out blitz us? :wink: That does take nerve. I love it. Most coaches just do not have the jam, it seems to me. They give lots of reasons.

6 Montreal ... Tanner Marsh. One game Wonder Boy? I don't think so. So much moxie. But he can be defended. Nice blitz ya got there. Sure stomped us.

7 Edmonton ... Mike Reilly. Ummm ... Mike Reilly. How long would his athletic instincts survive as starter for the Lions?

8 Winnipeg ... I hope there is a next year. And a year after that. Hang in there, Fans. Bring back Paul LaPolice. Burke is not the answer. Is Bellefeuille?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Think you've nailed it this week WCJ, (like most weeks :cool: ). I think the Ticats are the team to watch the next few weeks and surprise, surprise guess whose got the Lions back2back. WIth a split, who knows but if a team can sweep, things really will get jumbled.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Clearly the 3 best teams are Calgary, Saskatchewan and Toronto.
David
Team Captain

We see things the same way, WCJ. I've added in a symbol though for how teams are trending.

1 Riders ... < Still winning, but don't look invinsible.

2 Calgary ... > Licked their wounds after losing to BC and promptly laid a beating on the Argos.

3 Toronto ... < Were trending up, but will most certainly be trending down if Ray is lost for an extended period of time. Collaros looked all-world against BC. Now he's being scouted....

4 B.C. ... < Mojo and swagger following Calgary win took a massive hit after baffling loss in Montreal. Team's away record troubling.

5 Hamilton ... > Definitely trending up. Three wins in a row. Injured players coming back. Well rounded offense. Confidence growing.

6 Montreal ... > Trending up after last second victory over BC. No AC? No problem! Rock solid defense will keep them in a lot of games.

7 Edmonton ... > Don't konw how much longer I can have them trending up yet they continue to lose. Still, no quit in this team. Reilly won't let them.

8 Winnipeg ... < Yikes, in last place but still trending down. Just when we thought things couldn't get any worse, you can now add "quarterbacking injuries." Expect them to sign Quinton Porter. Shame. They're wasting a sublime season from Alex Hall.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Als with 10 starters not playing, out played the Lions. So I would rank the Lions 6th behind the Cats and Als.

Some Lionbackers have referred to Chapdelaine as being overconfident/arrogant and I would add stubborn. I don't see the Lions doing very many needed changes on O and expect to continue to see about the same sub par O that we have seen all year. :bang:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Excellent points made by everyone...and I agree that no one in the league looks super human...Sask had to pull out a mini miracle to beat Montreal at home...

So, if/when the Lions make the couple of changes needed to turn this thing around, we could easily become the front runners once again...

We need a dominating DT and we need our offensive system to begin to play to Lulay's stengths (which are many) and begin taking what the defences are giving.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

WCJ's and David's rankings look pretty good to me, with the one exception that I'm not sure the Lions are #4 anymore. I might put them at #5, just behind the Ti-Cats. However, I agree that this could change in a hurry with the changes noted by MLF.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:We see things the same way, WCJ. I've added in a symbol though for how teams are trending.

I like your idea of including how teams were trending. I've thought the Ticats were much better than their record was showing all season. Now it seems the adjusting and returning vet are settling things in their favour.

The Esks really have done enough to win more games and their one victory was certainly one that could have been a loss. Again, Koch playing near Stamps has been an adjustment that seems to be paying off everywhere except where it matters, wins. Think that will change maybe even this week.

The whole league is in a set of back2backs, so teams sweeping can really do themselves quite nicely coming into post-labour day.........
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cal
sask
tor
mont
BC
ham
ed
wpg

cal in first because they showed they could get it done while missing 2 of the best O players in the league.

Montreal in 4th because they are the only supposed bottom 4 team to beat a supposed top 4 team
Every day that passes is one you can't get back