Ricky Ray to Toronto

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Blitz wrote: He didn't bring him back if he truly believed he wasn't capable of being a starter either! Or are you suggesting that teams carry quarterbacks on the payroll that they will never play? Seems like a waste of money to me. Given, as we well know, you may have to go to your backup at any point in the season, if he doesn't think the guy is good enough to start a game why would he sign him? Too late for development.
Kerry Joseph is 38 years old. He was not brought into Edmonton to start unless it was absolutely necessary. Backups are signed to be backups at a backup rate of pay. They are inherently a security blanket. Jyles will get every opportunity to start because Tillman has always liked Jyles.

Back on topic, I thought this was well written, so I'll leave a link to it here:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/14/si ... y-ray-deal

With an emphasis on the following:
At $400,000 a year, the Eskimos deemed Ray too rich for their blood. They could have kept him, but at the expense of having little financial flexibility going forward, especially with half a roster nearing free agency a year from now.
And Ray had taken a pay cut from $515,000 per after last season, according to the Hamilton Spectator.

This is above and beyond the other glaring problems EE has on their roster (including a matador offensive line, a wanting secondary, and a banged up receiving corps).
ziggy
Legend

If Ray's salary was 400k as reported and Jyles is 250k as reported by TSN and you need to bring in a veteran like Joseph at ????. Are you saving much money? I'm curious, at best it would seem you save 150k on dumping Ray for Jyles. If (I'm speculating) Joseph doesn't get starter money but picks up more than a rookie you need to deduct that difference from your initial 150k savings, it would sure not add up to much. I don't see money as being the prime driver.