Brett Boyko NOT starting in the AAF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 am
Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm
With serious loss of core leadership in Lulay and Arceneaux I think it becomes more incumbent that they make the numbers work for SolE.
I am not getting the same feeling of leadership void that you are Hambone.

We signed arguably the most charismatic personality in the league and natural leader in Mike Reilly. We have another huge role model for younger players in Odell Willis. Rolly is probably one of the more respected guys in the league as well. Throw in a guy like Burnham, and I'm pretty sure we have the nucleus to keep the young guys in line.

DH :cool:
Don't get me wrong. I'm also a believer that there are, or at least should be, young "leaders-in-the-waiting" ready to step into those roles as core veterans move on. The old Montreal Canadiens mantra in the dressing room at the old Forum "From failing hands...……". Still SolE has come across as the heart and soul of the D almost from the time he arrived. Willis apparently has some good leadership qualities but all too often the selfish undisciplined Odell shows up to lead by bad example; Jekyll & Hyde if you will. That boneheaded Duron Carter-like foray into the REDBLACKS bench that allowed Ottawa to keep possession of the ball when I was in Ottawa last year still sits vividly in my mind. As much as he might be a role model I think he needs another strong willed leader on D who when the time is necessary can get in his grille and tell him to smarten the hell up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:43 pm
Foucault or Vaillancourt as trade material? Could be. Never quite sold on Foucault, especially at guard. Vaillancourt? Dunno why his star dimmed.

Just imo.
I thought Foucault acquitted himself quite well and while maybe not all-star calibre was nonetheless steady and solid. Definitely a marked improvement over 2017.

I'm kind of with you on Vaillancourt although without knowing how he graded out game in and game out it's tough to pass judgement on whether his star has dimmed or if they felt he was making progress in his development. Many young players at times will regress or flatten off in development a bit before taking that next step forward. It doesn't take much tape for a smart DLC and veteran DL to figure out how to take advantage of a young OL. Last year was a total write off with that offseason wrist surgery. The shroud of secrecy over what the problem was certainly didn't help to alleviate the concerns about where exactly he stood with the organization. In 2016 he played 13 games starting 2. In 2017 he played in 16 starting 4 and was being groomed as Husband's backup at center, IMO a coin toss with LT as the most important position on the OL. I don't know if they would be doing that if they didn't see potential in him taking over that key role in the foreseeable future. For sure I like the idea of him possibly starting at center this season. Him lined up alongside Chungh would give opposing interior DL 2 nasty pieces of business to contend with when they try to attack the middle.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am
The shroud of secrecy over what the problem was certainly didn't help to alleviate the concerns about where exactly he (Vaillancourt) stood with the organization. In 2016 he played 13 games starting 2. In 2017 he played in 16 starting 4 and was being groomed as Husband's backup at center, IMO a coin toss with LT as the most important position on the OL. I don't know if they would be doing that if they didn't see potential in him taking over that key role in the foreseeable future. For sure I like the idea of him possibly starting at center this season. Him lined up alongside Chungh would give opposing interior DL 2 nasty pieces of business to contend with when they try to attack the middle.
I think we can wipe the slate clean for 2019. Whole new regime. Any preconceptions about players under contract like Charles Vaillancourt get thrown out the window with a new coach like Bryan Chiu. And a new Head Coach too.

I think we're set at center with two natural ones in Godber and Peirson. I would like to see Vaillancourt returned to his natural position at right guard (to compete with Foucault). Or have Foucault compete at right tackle with Knevel, if we choose to go with 4 Nationals along the O-line (which would be wise). Sukh at LG beside Figueroa. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 pm
I think we can wipe the slate clean for 2019. Whole new regime. Any preconceptions about players under contract like Charles Vaillancourt get thrown out the window with a new coach like Bryan Chiu. And a new Head Coach too.

I think we're set at center with two natural ones in Godber and Peirson. I would like to see Vaillancourt returned to his natural position at right guard (to compete with Foucault). Or have Foucault compete at right tackle with Knevel, if we choose to go with 4 Nationals along the O-line (which would be wise). Sukh at LG beside Figueroa. :thup:

I think Sukh Chungh is locked into his all-star position at right guard unless the coaches have a big surprise in store for us. Hunter Steward and Joel Figueroa are set on the left side. That leaves Peter Godber, Charles Vaillancourt, Andrew Peirson, David Knevel and David Foucault as nationals competing for the remaining starting positions at centre and right tackle (the latter of which may be filled by an international), along with backup spots.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm
I think Sukh Chungh is locked into his all-star position at right guard unless the coaches have a big surprise in store for us. Hunter Steward and Joel Figueroa are set on the left side. That leaves Peter Godber, Charles Vaillancourt, Andrew Peirson, David Knevel and David Foucault as nationals competing for the remaining starting positions at centre and right tackle (the latter of which may be filled by an international), along with backup spots.
That's my take too BCF.

I was surprised David missed mentioning Steward but he may have done the same as I did last week. I sorted the roster by position and totally missed Steward amongst the OL because he's listed specifically as G; the only OL to not be generically listed as OL.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm
That's my take too BCF.

I was surprised David missed mentioning Steward but he may have done the same as I did last week. I sorted the roster by position and totally missed Steward amongst the OL because he's listed specifically as G; the only OL to not be generically listed as OL.
Hahaha! You nailed it Hambone. I was at work and didn't have a lot of time to think it through. I did a roster search by position. For some reason, all the O-linemen are listed as "OL" except Hunter, who is "G." Not sure why they did that but it totally tripped me up. Completely missed him after this long off-season (although I had a feeling someone was missing!!).

So yea, my bad. Would Vaillancourt back-up either Chungh or Steward, or could they move Hunter to compete at RT with the other capable National candidates (Foucault or Knevel), and have Vaillancourt play left guard?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Hahaha! You nailed it Hambone. I was at work and didn't have a lot of time to think it through. I did a roster search by position. For some reason, all the O-linemen are listed as "OL" except Hunter, who is "G." Not sure why they did that but it totally tripped me up. Completely missed him after this long off-season (although I had a feeling someone was missing!!).

So yea, my bad. Would Vaillancourt back-up either Chungh or Steward, or could they move Hunter to compete at RT with the other capable National candidates (Foucault or Knevel), and have Vaillancourt play left guard?

I do wonder about Steward to RT but continuity being so important in an OL I think they will definitely keep him at LG beside Figueroa. Another aspect of that I think is that it makes him the best backup option should Figueroa get hurt. He'd just be sliding over one spot as opposed to possibly shifting from one end of the line to the other. Vaillancourt could be utilized as a backup at all 3 interior positions. New regime so who knows how they plan to assemble their game day roster. Will it be 7 OL dressed or 8? Buono liked to bring in an extra OL and sometimes 2 in jumbo packages. Will Claybrooks do the same? If they dress 7 and assuming they were to go with 4 NAT starters that would still leave just the 2 backups meaning 1 of the 7 current NATs would be left either as an odd man out on the 46 or designated to the PR. Chris Jones frequently dressed on 6 OL which IMO is flirting with mid-game disaster although they did have a guy on the DL with OL experience for an emergency. His name escapes me.