It's official. Adam Bighill now a Bomber (page 2)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill's contract in Winnipeg is reportedly worth $175,000. The Bombers can probably cover most of that by releasing linebacker Ian Wild, who signed a new one-year contract in January.

The Lions likely could have got a hometown discount if they tried. I still think the Lions will be OK at weakside linebacker this year but I'm worried that Biggie's leadership will benefit a key rival in the ultra-competitive West Division.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

[quote=cromartie post_id=390001 time=1526789791 user_id=31]
Going with what you know doesn't mean shunning what was here in the past. Hervey is going with what he knows.*

As every team in the league except Saskatchewan has a cap, you only have so much money to spend. You can't tie $400k up in linebackers and hope to improve upon what was a bad defensive line last year. You don't have the cap room for that. We've spent more than one year here complaining about the bend but don't break aspects of this defense and its perceived lack of aggressiveness. On the other side of the ball, we lament the performance of the offensive line (though I'm with those that cite coaching as an issue).

At this point, given a choice between 'get talent on both lines' versus ' reunite Team 100', I'm going to take the former.

(sorry I screwed up the editing)

Well, "the former" just happened as it has just been announced that the Als have released Olafioye and the Lionshave just signed him. :yahoo:

Now we know why the Lions did not go after Bighill, they were saving the SMS space for big Jovan. So the Lions lost out on an all star and then signed an all star who plays at a more crucial RT position. I am in Ed Hervey's corner, big time. :beauty:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am
Huge blunder by Ed Hervey here. Reports that he passed on Bighill. Very disappointed in this. You saw how much worse our defense was without him on the field last year. Winnipeg got a huge pickup while we still have a hole at the WILL.

IF this means we somehow bring back Micah Awe, and also pick up Dexter McCoil, fine. But I doubt that's going to happen. Big mistake.
Blunder? Hervey still has to make the money fit. With all the veterans Hervey has added including Olafioye I doubt there was any cap left to add in something close to $200K. Who would you recommend casting adrift to make room for Bighill? Manny? Lulay? Burnham? Elimimian? Figueroa? Willis?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:35 pm
Bighill's contract in Winnipeg is reportedly worth $175,000. The Bombers can probably cover most of that by releasing linebacker Ian Wild, who signed a new one-year contract in January.

The Lions likely could have got a hometown discount if they tried. I still think the Lions will be OK at weakside linebacker this year but I'm worried that Biggie's leadership will benefit a key rival in the ultra-competitive West Division.
Not a surprise on the salary. With everybody having their camp roster's set and cap situation mostly ironed out it was the worst possible time for Bighill to get a deal. If he was free to sign 3 months ago he likely can command close to $200K.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am
Huge blunder by Ed Hervey here. Reports that he passed on Bighill. Very disappointed in this. You saw how much worse our defense was without him on the field last year. Winnipeg got a huge pickup while we still have a hole at the WILL.

IF this means we somehow bring back Micah Awe, and also pick up Dexter McCoil, fine. But I doubt that's going to happen. Big mistake.
Blunder? Hervey still has to make the money fit. With all the veterans Hervey has added including Olafioye I doubt there was any cap left to add in something close to $200K. Who would you recommend casting adrift to make room for Bighill? Manny? Lulay? Burnham? Elimimian? Figueroa? Willis?
When the post was made we hadn't signed Olafioye.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

Ed explains the loss of Biggie from the club's perspective. If fans can take away their emotional attachment, what he says makes a lot of sense (it still hurts to see him make a Western rival better, but oh well). LU also suggests that we shouldn't get our hopes up on Awe, even if he doesn't make the NFL. Article here.
Lowell Ullrich wrote:Nothing personal, it was strictly business. Ed Hervey said the reason why the BC Lions the GM of the CFL team elected to bypass Adam Bighill on the weekend was strictly financial.

In football terms most relevant to the Lions, it was money better spent if the Lions could ultimately reacquire a six-time league all-star offensive lineman in Jovan Olafioye than an all-star linebacker in Bighill, who rejoined a growing cast of ex-BC players with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Add the cash it would have cost to get Bighill lined up alongside Solomon Elimimian again and the Lions would have been out close to $400,000, according to club and league sources.

Olafioye, who signed in BC mere moments after he was cut Saturday by the Montreal Alouettes and directed a flurry of insults at Als general manager Kavis Reed as he went out the door, left the Lions breathing a huge collective sigh of relief when he agreed to become part of a revamped offensive line which will feature Joel Figueroa at left tackle.

Hervey said he was aware of Bighill’s appeal to the Lions fan base but viewed the weekend events in practical terms.

“First of all, Adam Bighill is one of the league’s best players and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has done for this organization, but our primary focus was to strengthen the offensive and defensive lines,” Hervey explained after a spirited morning Lions walkthrough in Kamloops Monday.

“If we were to pay the WILL-linebacker position premium dollars it would be a luxury. It’s no different than when Adarius Bowman came free earlier. We’re staying committed to protecting the quarterback.”

Olafioye was no longer part of the mix when the Als acquitted Canadian lineman Ryan Bomben before the draft. Reed said his club is still in the process of making moves up front. Word is Bomben will be paired this week with former Lions non-import lineman Kirby Fabien.

Olafioye was released partly as a result of a pay dispute, according to his posts on social media, after he reportedly had earlier been given a $50,000 contract bonus. BC, meantime, had a sudden need when import tackle Jeremy Lewis announced his retirement last weekend.

Missing out on Bighill, however, ends an uneven chapter for the Lions. Bighill was under contract to the Lions in 2017 initially but gained his release to try the NFL in exchange for a pay cut. The Lions were fined by the league when they contended Bighill would return if he didn’t make it with the New Orleans Saints, who cut the 29-year-old last week.

Hervey said the Lions were prepared for the possibility Bighill might come free again but in discussing the idea with subordinates it was determined they would not pursue him aggressively.

“Because of the uncertainty on the right side of the line we wanted to keep some cap available for a late trade,” Hervey said.

Instead, the Lions got back the player-coach Wally Buono traded to Montreal for David Foucault 15 months ago without having to give up anything else.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“First of all, Adam Bighill is one of the league’s best players and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has done for this organization, but our primary focus was to strengthen the offensive and defensive lines,” Hervey explained after a spirited morning Lions walkthrough in Kamloops Monday.

“If we were to pay the WILL-linebacker position premium dollars it would be a luxury. It’s no different than when Adarius Bowman came free earlier. We’re staying committed to protecting the quarterback.”

I agree with Ed Hervey that upgrading the DL and OL were the top priorities in this transition year.

''protecting the quarterback" Job #1a

"getting after the opposing quarterback" Job #1b

It starts there. Fail at those, and your team will likely miss the playoffs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Ullrich also mentions in his article that AJ Jefferson (now AJ Orange) is being tabbed to replace Ronnie Yell. That kinda gives me pause as he had a terrible time in Ottawa last year. He was picked on by opposing QBs and only lasted 3 games.

Like the Lions this year, the RedBlacks went with an overhauled secondary because of player departure last year (different circumstance of players heading down south though). They had their collective struggles.

I suspect the Lion’s secondary will have its share of struggles when it comes to being a cohesive unit. How patient will Buono or Hervey be when it comes to letting the individual talent gel? I am guessing patience will be at a premium.

Let’s put it this way, I won’t be putting any names or numbers from the secondary on a jersey this year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bighill's comments on why he chose the Bombers. I'm sure money was key and lack of Lion interest but it's interesting how far back O'Shea's connection with Bighill started.

Tampering? LOL.

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... 6daca416d4

You have to think that Bighill might just be something special in a Bombers uniform and for that team be the top LB they've sought as the article suggests.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Adam was kind of dissin' us. :thdn:

The article mentions the "wow" factor in Winnipeg but left out the part where he said that BC Place doesn't have the "wow" factor and we have trouble filling the stadium, lack of atmosphere etc. It was getting pretty good air time on TSN1040 today.

Maybe it's true, but no need to go there, IMO. Just say you're happy to be on your new team and leave it at that. It was shades of Geroy when he joined the Riders.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good article on Bighill.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You know, I hate to be a wet blanket re: Bighill cause I like him and I liked him as a Lion. I do however feel constrained to point out that even with him in the LB Corp, our defence was still as strong as a wet noodle. Now that isn't to lay any blame on Biggie but his presence didn't really mean any difference given the massive deficiencies that the Lion's D had in other areas. Other areas that may still be weak if the assertions by some on here are true. Thus why spend the extra $$ on a talented LB when his presence isn't going to make up for the other problems this team has? Leadership can be found many places and the facts are that even if you are greatest leader in the world, you aren't going to win many battles if you don't have the right tools for the war.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
aklawitter
All Star

David wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm

The article mentions the "wow" factor in Winnipeg but left out the part where he said that BC Place doesn't have the "wow" factor and we have trouble filling the stadium, lack of atmosphere etc. It was getting pretty good air time on TSN1040 today.

Maybe it's true, but no need to go there, IMO. Just say you're happy to be on your new team and leave it at that. It was shades of Geroy when he joined the Riders.

He's not wrong though
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm

^^^You are being overly sensitive to the truth.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 am
You know, I hate to be a wet blanket re: Bighill cause I like him and I liked him as a Lion. I do however feel constrained to point out that even with him in the LB Corp, our defence was still as strong as a wet noodle. Now that isn't to lay any blame on Biggie but his presence didn't really mean any difference given the massive deficiencies that the Lion's D had in other areas. Other areas that may still be weak if the assertions by some on here are true. Thus why spend the extra $$ on a talented LB when his presence isn't going to make up for the other problems this team has? Leadership can be found many places and the facts are that even if you are greatest leader in the world, you aren't going to win many battles if you don't have the right tools for the war.
I wasn't upset at all that we didn't sign Bighill. First of all, he is a very expensive linebacker and with Sol E. here and being paid a high (deserved) salary, there is only so much one can spend on the linebacking unit.

We signed Olifioye and for our Leos team needs, the right tackle position was a much higher priority, after all the problems we had at that position last season.

I like Dyshawn Davis and he could emerge as a very good linebacker, with opportunity. Bo Lokombo is competing at that position too as are other Internationals.

Another reason that I was not disappointed that we did not sign Bighill was also based on how Bighill was utilized here in B.C. under Mark Washington. Bighill was never good against the run, often easily blocked. He was an exceptional blitzer who could track down a quarterback. He had excellent range. He is a very, very good pass defender.

But we mostly used Bighill as a pass defender, either dropping into underneath zone or being used as a twin deep safety. I believe we did not utilize Bighill's strengths often enough. He was a heat seeking missile that we too often just used in zone pass defense rather than take advantage of his strengths of speed and intensity.

For being used in a primary role in pass defense, we could have used a hybrid linebacker instead and for less money.

Winnipeg will likely play Bighill at middle linebacker - Sol E's position here in B.C. for most seasons. Bighill played that spot in B.C. when Sol E. ventured south in 2012.

While both Sol E. and Bighill were perennial all-stars as talented linebackers, their stats have also been a product of weak defensive line play too often. The reality is that our linebackers have had to make too many tackles for too many seasons now.

I would like our linebackers to stand out a little less and our defensive line play stand out a little more this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)