Travis Lulay talk and opinions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Lulay will never be Calvillo, so let's not kid ourselves. Calvillo has always been able to have a very quick release. In the early days, it wasn't always to the correct player, but it was always quick.

Lulay hangs on to the ball....for a very long time. Rather than doing, it seems he is thinking. And when he starts thinking, he over compensates. Add in a slow release and there is your problem. The best guys in this league may not be the most athletic but they all have one thing in common...that quick release.

Lulay reminds me of Stefan Lefors, the ex Bomber QB. Athletic, talented, but always over thinks the play rather than react on instinct. ( Would that be "execute" in Wallyspeak?)

In his earlier days, there were probably no shortage of people who thought that Calvillo would never amount to what he has either. Particularly the folks in Hamilton. I don't think any one of us is that clairvoyant to know who will be successful and who won't in this league. Lulay may not be a great QB right now but who can say about 2 years from now? Lots of people thought Casey Printers was going to be the great QB for years to come in 2004. Where is he now? What about Dave Dickenson, too small, not athletic enough, not strong enough and he is one of the best to ever play the game. Take a look down south too at some of the great QB prospects that were and weren't. Joe Montana vs Jim Evrett, How did Ryan Leaf do for such a highly touted prospect? How bout Drew Bledsoe. Calvillo was always a pure passer, he wasn't always quick. He has never run well and yet now he is fabulous. How many would have taken that bet 10 years ago?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:After re-watching some of Saturday's game, I wanted to see where the wheels fell off the wagon. Obviously it was the fumbles and penalties, but Lulay must shoulder some of the blame also. Some of his decision-making in the 2nd/3rd quarter could be questioned. The receivers just weren't getting open, but he threw the ball anyways. Luckily many passes were a bit off target which negated any interceptions. You wonder if he's reading the defence (hard to do when you're ole'ing blitzing LB's) or just executing the called play and hoping for the best (or trying to pick on Hefney?) :wink:

By the end of the 3rd Q, Travis had taken half a dozen (or more) helacious hits, getting three helmet spears on one futile 3 yd QB sneak up the middle. He must be black and blue...and frustrated by the lack of protection, screwed-up offensive scheming, dropped passes, missed assignments, new receivers every game, and generally unprofessional play by the entire offence.
I also don't think enough credit is going out to the Winnipeg defense. They're freakin' good!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:I also don't think enough credit is going out to the Winnipeg defense. They're freakin' good!

The success of the Winnipeg defence masks the failings of their offence. Winnipeg ranks last in many offensive categories, including first downs, touchdowns, passing yards, pass completions and total offence. Turnovers are giving them great field position and leading to points but teams can't always rely on turnovers. Last year's Bomber team wasn't as bad as its 4-14 record. This year's team may not be as good as its 6-1 record.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:I also don't think enough credit is going out to the Winnipeg defense. They're freakin' good!

The success of the Winnipeg defence masks the failings of their offence. Winnipeg ranks last in many offensive categories, including first downs, touchdowns, passing yards, pass completions and total offence. Turnovers are giving them great field position and leading to points but teams can't always rely on turnovers. Last year's Bomber team wasn't as bad as its 4-14 record. This year's team may not be as good as its 6-1 record.

There are so many ways to look at statistics.

Jerry Seinfeld:
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they are okay, then it's you.
A good definition:
Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions.
- Evan Esar

Scotty Bowan used to say :
Statistics are for losers.

Bill Belichek has an answer for that too:: Statistics are for losers. Final scores for winners.
He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than for illumination. - Andrew Lang
Good Winnipeg story on Buck Pierce:

Pierce is the right quarterback for Winnipeg
http://www.canada.com/sports/football/c ... story.html

Winnipeg Free Press
Consider the numbers: With an 18-for-24, 237-yard performance in a 30-17 win over the B.C. Lions Saturday night, Pierce has now completed 71 of 96 passes for 1,064 yards, six touchdowns and two interceptions over his last four games.

You know what other quarterback is on a tear like that in the CFL right now? No one, that’s who.

Not future hall-of-famer Anthony Calvillo in Montreal. Not the resurgent Ricky Ray in Edmonton. And not the pesky Kevin Glenn of Hamilton.

No, the only quarterback who’s been completing 74 per cent of his passes with a 3:1 touchdown-to-interceptions ratio over the last four games is the same one Winnipeg football fans have been praying would someday reward all their patience with precisely this kind of roll.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Irishland
Rookie

Lulay threw a lot better tonight with his passes on the mark most throws. His arrow/spin (thank you Rammer) looked a lot better, then i saw JJ throw and learned TL needs more practice on the arrow. All in all he showed tonight what i think what most people thought they saw last year. Hopefully he can carry the momentum to the next game. :beer:
May you find peace Ripper