Christmas Presents - Do You Re-gift?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

So, now that you've all seen your Christmas presents, is anybody planning to re-gift your present as a belated X'mas gift, a birthday gift, or even next year's X'mas?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nope
CB123
Legend

No chance
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

nada i can trade sumthing in for a cell phone but i dont want to
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Is it re-gifting if you return something that you borrowed many moons ago, and put in in their stocking?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Is it re-gifting if you return something that you borrowed many moons ago, and put in in their stocking?
No, since it was never yours in the first place - you are simply returning what you borrowed. Re-gifting usually involves at least three parties - you, the person who gave you the gift that you don't want to keep, and the other person you intend on giving the gift to.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If I ever re-gifted, there would be two rules

1) wait a decent amount of time, as in a few yrs.
2) just give it away, not as a wrapped gift. Wrapped gifts should be brand new, or something you made, or had made, etc.

Exception, my son was involved in a church kids exchange where they were supposed to bring something small that they already owned and were not allowed to purchase something new. IE, an old toy they no longer wanted. Still, I am not sure if they actually wrapped them, I think not. Wrapped used gifts just seems wrong.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If you don't like it or use it, simply donate it to Big Brothers or some other charity group.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Not generally. Unless I get something new and unused that I know someone will like better. Then, absolutely.

For example, one year I received a collection of Three Stooges videos from a friend. I don't really care for the Three Stooges, but I have another friend who adores them. So, I regifted. In that case, it was the right thing to do, to pass the gift along to someone who would appreciate them more. And he did.

Otherwise the gift goes to charity.
pinkfreud

I don't usually need to re-gift, as the little elves in my life know exactly what I want. Of course, it helps that I write down UPC codes and draw locator maps of the item's placement in the store. If I received something I couldn't use, I would just give it away to a friend or to the Big Brothers Renew Crew.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Wrapped gifts should be brand new. Wrapped used gifts just seems wrong.
Of course, the re-gifted present should be new as well. I always meant a re-gifted present was one that you never took out of the box. And you re-wrapped it as a present for someone else and when it is just as good as new since you never used it. Typical examples can include:

1. Coffee Makers
2. DVD Players
3. Golf Balls
4. New clothes that aren't your size
5. Wine bottles

With these gifts, as long as you didn't open and use it, they are just as good as new when you give the to someone else.
cromartie wrote:For example, one year I received a collection of Three Stooges videos from a friend. I don't really care for the Three Stooges, but I have another friend who adores them. So, I regifted. In that case, it was the right thing to do, to pass the gift along to someone who would appreciate them more. And he did.
:whs:
Very resourceful for a gift that you didn't like or had no need for, whereas it was just the purrfect gift for someone else.
pinkfreud wrote:If I received something I couldn't use, I would just give it away to a friend
And thus, you re-gifted the present that you couldn't use.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I just think that when you give a wrapped gift, it should be one you paid for in some way, either cash, or sweat. I am just funny that way I guess.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, it's probably likely that with regards to the person who gave you the gift that you didn't need or like, you also gave them a gift. So you did "pay" for the gift that you gave to them. And you can simply transfer that payment to the new person who you intend on giving the re-gifted present to. Sounds a little strange, I know. But you might as well see it that way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why would you give wine bottles to someone else ? :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

But you might as well see it that way.
hmmm.......welllllll........naaahhhhh :no: :thdn: :wag: :)