Brett Boyko NOT starting in the AAF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

My mistake AJ signed on for one more year.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It seems like there has been a lot of talk about a player who clearly over his playing years has shown very little interest in a spot in the CFL. My sense of those kinds of players is that even if at some point they do come to the league, for them it is a step down. Not something that they wanted to do, something they had no choice about. Almost a personal embarrassment as it were. I certainly don't expect much from this player if he gets up here someday. There have been a lot of players in this league that have had far more NFL game time than this person ever did who came up here and couldn't cut it. I'm not sure why a player who couldn't ever seem to get past NFL practice rosters would be expected to do better. Would be nice to see the guy give this league a try but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just hung em up before resorting to that last option.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dusty
Champion

I have no expectation of him in a Lions uniform. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago I hoped it could/might have happened, but I think the XFL wait will be on. He has to have gotten used to the modest lifestyle that comes with PR salaries, so why would he trade a 35% shave to his income for higher expectations when potential of XFL is alive. At this point, everything points to Lions movìng on, and on, and on....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:34 am
I have no expectation of him in a Lions uniform. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago I hoped it could/might have happened, but I think the XFL wait will be on. He has to have gotten used to the modest lifestyle that comes with PR salaries, so why would he trade a 35% shave to his income for higher expectations when potential of XFL is alive. At this point, everything points to Lions movìng on, and on, and on....
I think if you are the Lions, then you explore every option of adding players to better the team and you most certainly don't let a player's attempts at getting NFL or XFL opportunities influence how you operate. So I think that the Lions should continue to keep in touch with Boyko's agent.

Anyone know what the XFL pays players?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:03 am

Anyone know what the XFL pays players?
Apparently $7500/game on a 10 game schedule with marquee players being able to earn as much as $300K. Basically a little less than NFL PR pay per week. They want nothing to do with being any sort of development league for the NFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
green road kill
Rookie

Seems there is still some talk about BRET BOYKO, some where confused by my last post so I LL try again.

BRETT BOYKO AN ASS WE DON T NEED

Brett Boyko is an arrogant waist of God given talent. Some where between his first fiftyth go round on NFL practice squads he could have realized it wan t working , come up and played for a few years . He might have developed into a top tier guard or tackle, or at the very least someone who could clean JOVAN s cleats. The reason he didn t was his ego wound t let hin.

This brings us to the here and now, the LIONS don t need Brett BÒYKO. We are deep on Canadian talent on the O line . Guys coming into there second and third year with the team ,that are every bit as good as Boyko is or ever will be. Plus they want to be here and play for the Leo s. They also don t consider playing in the CFL a step below them
The choice for Boyko now is the CFL, or sit out a year and join Mc man's ,travelling freak show.

Keep the clown suit and face paint re dry OKYOB you never known
Qman
Champion

all boyko has shown is he is probably way worst than foucault and at best is a depth 8th-10th OLineman on any CFL team, and if the ratio changes probably doesn't have a spot up here.

he knows it, his agent knows this, and the lions know this
Qman
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:06 pm
Qman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 pm

But I guess they can always plug Antonio Johnson back in there.
Antonio Johnson is gone. I think he is a free agent and Lions did not resign him so he is not an option anymore.
In addition to Johnson (who is signed for one more year), they brought in Eric Lofton from OTT to compete for the starting RT position plus the other 3-4 guys they bring in.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Brett Boyko? NFL wannabe. Go for it, and be happy. Looking for a cup of coffee. Looking in the window.

Nationals on our roster

Chungh
Steward
Foucault
Godber
Knevel
Peirson
Vaillancourt

That is 7 valuable assets as National O Linemen. There is little or no need for Boyko. Possible trading asset.

Internationals on our roster

Figueroa, Joel
Curtis, Cassidy
Johnson, Antonio
Lofton, Eric
Norman, Phillip

Still the biggest question marks on our roster, imo, are International WRs and International DLs. Those questions may already be answered. We will see.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 pm
Brett Boyko? NFL wannabe. Go for it, and be happy. Looking for a cup of coffee. Looking in the window.

Nationals on our roster

Chungh
Steward
Foucault
Godber
Knevel
Peirson
Vaillancourt

That is 7 valuable assets as National O Linemen. There is little or no need for Boyko. Possible trading asset.

Figueroa, Joel
Curtis, Cassidy
Johnson, Antonio
Lofton, Eric
Norman, Phillip

Still the biggest question marks on our roster, imo, are International WRs and International DLs. Those questions may already be answered. We will see.
I presume they will be bringing in 3 more OL to fill out the camp roster by giving them 3 OL units. What the ratio mix will be in new acquisitions remains to be seen. That could depend on how they plan on playing the OL ratio. Whether they go 3 NAT/2 INT or 4 NAT/1 INT will have an impact on the draft and overall OL ratio mix for camp. If the former they sign 2 or 3 more INTs and approach the draft without need of grabbing an OL for depth. If they go the latter then they still are OK as long as everybody stays healthy but would likely add another NAT to the mix.

Sometimes teams get through seasons unscathed injury-wise. Other times can see OL drop like flies taking them from a position of depth to being desperate for help 2 games later. I'm of the opinion a team can never have too many OL. Boyko could be a trading chip but at the same time signing him could provide Ed the flexibility to shop other guys around who might provide better return value. He is middle of the pack age-wise; 3-1/2 years younger than Foucault and 1 month older than Vaillancourt. Who knows maybe Montreal would be willing to provide better return for a francophone native son than for a prairie boy like Boyko. The more options at a GM's disposal the better IMO. Whatever the approach the important thing is to maximize the value in the asset either by dealing the player's rights or signing him and moving other assets.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Nationals on our roster

Chungh
Steward
Foucault
Godber
Knevel
Peirson
Vaillancourt

Figueroa, Joel
Curtis, Cassidy
Johnson, Antonio
Lofton, Eric
Norman, Phillip

I presume they will be bringing in 3 more OL to fill out the camp roster by giving them 3 OL units. What the ratio mix will be in new acquisitions remains to be seen. That could depend on how they plan on playing the OL ratio. Whether they go 3 NAT/2 INT or 4 NAT/1 INT will have an impact on the draft and overall OL ratio mix for camp. If the former they sign 2 or 3 more INTs and approach the draft without need of grabbing an OL for depth. If they go the latter then they still are OK as long as everybody stays healthy but would likely add another NAT to the mix.

Sometimes teams get through seasons unscathed injury-wise. Other times can see OL drop like flies taking them from a position of depth to being desperate for help 2 games later. I'm of the opinion a team can never have too many OL. Boyko could be a trading chip but at the same time signing him could provide Ed the flexibility to shop other guys around who might provide better return value. He is middle of the pack age-wise; 3-1/2 years younger than Foucault and 1 month older than Vaillancourt. Who knows maybe Montreal would be willing to provide better return for a francophone native son than for a prairie boy like Boyko. The more options at a GM's disposal the better IMO. Whatever the approach the important thing is to maximize the value in the asset either by dealing the player's rights or signing him and moving other assets.
With the importance of NAT OL, it seems wise to draft at least one OL per year. And it seems to me there is a good supply of these turned out each year by the various colleges.

My guess is we go with 4 NATs in the OL, based on the quantity and quality we have at present. If we go with 3 NATs it seems we are almost overstocked.

I think we have honoured the importance of the position with our drafts lately.

Boyko? Be nice if we could score a high draft pick for him. Saskatoon lad. Hello, Riders.

Foucault or Vaillancourt as trade material? Could be. Never quite sold on Foucault, especially at guard. Vaillancourt? Dunno why his star dimmed.

As noted this fan's concerns at this point are INT WR and INT DL. We need another ''star'' for each, it seems to me. These guys need to be All-Star quality. Only room for so many guys to get that honour in any year, but your guys have to be of that quality.

Just imo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:43 pm
As noted this fan's concerns at this point are INT WR and INT DL. We need another ''star'' for each, it seems to me. These guys need to be All-Star quality. Only room for so many guys to get that honour in any year, but your guys have to be of that quality.

Just imo.
I think we have to rely on the abilities of the scouts and perhaps what comes out of the tryout camps of which they still have 4 left to run. That "star" will have to be a "star" we've likely never heard of before; new to both the Lions and the CFL. That's just the way it goes when a club spends nearly 20% of their cap on 1 QB and 1 OL. It will be imperative that Hervey's group find a player or three who can start contributing immediately coming out of training camp.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Biggest concern for me is at linebacker. Lions might have trouble paying Sol E. and still be under the cap. Herdman did well when he was in at MLB last season but he does not have Sol E.'s sideline to sideline speed. It didn't matter as much last season because Herdman had Foster, Lokombo, or Awe playing around him.

OTOH if Lions can keep Sol E., then the new LBs will benefit from playing beside Sol. It also helps that the most veteran coach on the Lions is DC Stubler, who is also LB coach.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

My gut feel on SolE is that if they absolutely have to get out from under his SMS hit the move would have already happened. By now Hervey must have explored every possible trade option and come up empty. The closer teams get to training camp the more set their training camp rosters are and the more unlikely they could add Elimimian's salary without making some serious cuts of their own.

If there is nothing other than cold irons in a cold trade fire then the options are down to cut or keep and if they can't afford to keep they might as well bite the bullet and cut. With serious loss of core leadership in Lulay and Arceneaux I think it becomes more incumbent that they make the numbers work for SolE.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm
With serious loss of core leadership in Lulay and Arceneaux I think it becomes more incumbent that they make the numbers work for SolE.
I am not getting the same feeling of leadership void that you are Hambone.

We signed arguably the most charismatic personality in the league and natural leader in Mike Reilly. We have another huge role model for younger players in Odell Willis. Rolly is probably one of the more respected guys in the league as well. Throw in a guy like Burnham, and I'm pretty sure we have the nucleus to keep the young guys in line.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar