Als 23 @ Leos 13 - Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“We knew offence throughout the league was going to go up … the numbers. It was legislated (through rule changes). We understand that,” said Washington, who spent six seasons in the Als’ secondary beginning in 1997 and is now in his second year as the Lions’ DC. “We have a number of young players on a defence that have never played in the CFL. They’re still learning how to play here, how to play in our defence.

“And we just haven’t played well enough. It has nothing to do with the rule changes or schematic things,” Washington continued. “We’re the ones who are dropping coverages or not being in our gaps. That causes big plays.”
* "We knew offence throughout the league was going to go up … the numbers. It was legislated"
Same for each team. We trail every team in the league in defence.

* “And we just haven’t played well enough."
Put it on the players. Blame it on poor execution. Even if that was all it was, it is up to the coaches to choose the players and train them.

* "It has nothing to do with the rule changes or schematic things"
Disagree. When 8 men drop back, the team does not bring the pressure on the QB that a blitzing team such as the Alouettes can bring. And even with the running game, when 8 men drop back, it is less effective in trying to stop the running game. LBs and DBs backpedaling are not in great position to stop a strong run game. 251 yards by the Alouettes on the ground.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

InUrFace wrote:This team begins and ends with one person Wally. This still looks like his team when he was HC he is using the same schemes and play book. Handing down to Cortez and Jeff. I believe this was one thing he discussed before signing Jeff and Cortez. That if Lulay is QB let him feel comfortable by using the same play book since he missed a lot of football with his injuries. I believe Wally told Jeff it will be better for lulay instead of giving him a new one to learn.

As for the D well ask Washington where and who he learned it from. Oh! I know. MB and cant forget Wally. As he still uses the same crap D as Wally used. ST Well lets ask McMann ... his answer Wally. This will always continue to happen as long as Wally is here. Doesnt matter what coaches and staff come in ... Its either Wallys way or the exit.

Now Wally rep is bad taste in all players mouths, thats why we have no Free Agents signed here. Then the lack of talent in all areas. I look at Scouting. Our scouting would be better off going on youtube and find players or maybe thats what they are doing. lol. NFL cuts will happen but then again theres Wally so it might not make a dang difference. He is all ready saying our Dline is good and Brooks can be that guy. Wally needs to wake up. As fans we need to run him out the city as we did once before with the other guy. This cant continue to happen. I wont pay to go to a single game or even a free ticket be given to me i will throw it in the trash cuz this is what Wally deserves.

Now a comment to all those who think Wally aint the issue or you think hes doing a good job. Please explain to me what he has done in the last few years for this team. Dont tell me he signed Collie dont tell me he got Jeff dont tell me any bull. Tell me What he has done besides making this organization go down hill and fans sick of him and his decision making and not allowing to let go. So the HC can have full control. As of yet I dont see Jeff I see Wally as HC ... hes just not on the sidelines calling the plays. Tired of this crap :bang: Time for change at the top.

as we've seen over last 10yrs, NFL cuts aren't good enough to play ... only good for emergency injury replacement.

you've got to find the right type of guys and then slowly bring them along and develop them. The scouting staff has hit a dry patch for a couple years and its showing.
Qman
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
“We knew offence throughout the league was going to go up … the numbers. It was legislated (through rule changes). We understand that,” said Washington, who spent six seasons in the Als’ secondary beginning in 1997 and is now in his second year as the Lions’ DC. “We have a number of young players on a defence that have never played in the CFL. They’re still learning how to play here, how to play in our defence.

“And we just haven’t played well enough. It has nothing to do with the rule changes or schematic things,” Washington continued. “We’re the ones who are dropping coverages or not being in our gaps. That causes big plays.”
* "offence throughout the league was going to go up … the numbers. It was legislated"
Same for each team. We trail every team in the league in defence.

* “And we just haven’t played well enough."
Put it on the players. Blame it on poor execution. Even if that was all it was, it is up to the coaches to choose the players and train them.

* "It has nothing to do with the rule changes or schematic things"
Disagree. When 8 men drop back, the team does not bring the pressure on the QB that a blitzing team such as the Alouettes can bring. And even with the running game, when 8 men drop back, it is less effective in trying to stop the running game. LBs and DBs backpedaling are not in great position to stop a strong run game. 251 yards by the Alouettes on the ground.

i like the don mathews/chris jones attacking defence.

u know what wally will say is ... we gave up 200 yards on the ground but ONLY 23PTS. its the same crap every time
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If only the Lions could find a good punt/kick returner like Logan or even Brown. No wait the Lions cut those guys before training camp without even giving them a chance to beat out by the less than adequate replacements.
Oh well with the way the Lions play ST, Brown and Logan would probably fail as well if still a Lion.

If only the Lions had an good sized experienced DT, someone like Eric Taylor..er never mind. Wally/Tedford are way to proud to admit a mistake and bring Taylor back, but Calgary's Demonte Bolden is still unemployed. When you are the worse D in the league, other teams cast offs are an improvement.

I also think the pride and arrogance of the GM, HC, DC, OC will prevent meaningful changes and it is looking to me like same old same old for the rest of the season. :bang:
InUrFace
Rookie

Question: Why is Wally so cheap? Where does that money he doesnt spend on players end up? Is he pocketing anything for himself. Since he is the GM. Im wondering does anyone have an idea.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If you had $200 and wanted to buy a customized Lions jersey ... name one player it would worth that wasn't a member of the 2011 cup team? It tells you all you need to know of how their recruiting has gone in the last 4 years.
swervynmerv
Legend

InUrFace wrote:Question: Why is Wally so cheap? Where does that money he doesnt spend on players end up? Is he pocketing anything for himself. Since he is the GM. Im wondering does anyone have an idea.
I can answer this as I had an opportunity to have a short conversation with a recently ex-Lion this summer and during our discussion about things Lions, the topic of Wally's cheapness came up.

One could argue that at times, the Lions have struggled at the gate and that money was scarce(Pezzim era etc), but during Wally's tenure, for the most part, the franchise was successful, had above average crowds and hosted multiple 45K plus playoff games, so money should not be a major issue.

This player thought that it came down to Wally being extremely "old school" and one of those guys that grew up without a lot of money and that his way of thinking is extremely "thrifty". He struggles with the current player and modern CFL in the things that they want and money expected as Wally never got those things when he played. It was also said that in" CFL Circles" the Lions are known to be extremely thrifty and will try to nickle and dime in every area of the team. It sounded like Wally would make the players wear leather helmets if he could!!

If I recall correctly, there was an article during training camp on how Tedford was getting a bunch of things updated at the Lions facility because they were not up to standards of a pro team.
InUrFace
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:If you had $200 and wanted to buy a customized Lions jersey ... name one player it would worth that wasn't a member of the 2011 cup team? It tells you all you need to know of how their recruiting has gone in the last 4 years.
Mervyn "Swervin' Mervyn" Fernandez : ) lol not Wallys World though.lol
InUrFace
Rookie

Just heard on 1040 Matt and Gullio go at it about the teal and specially Lulay. How the heck is Gullio saying Lulay is making every throw. Is this Wallys guy ...how many soldiers does Wally have. Hes the Godfather i swear. Anyways a caller called in and said sit Lulay out for at least one game and see if we can run the Offense differently. If Beck comes in I believe we might move the ball faster and more attacking style. I would really like to see Jennings for a few downs .... I think he might be the future unless we find someone better. Time for a change and I agree Beck should come in but he just cant throw to CT all the time. He needs to build chemistry with others on the field. We need to use Harris and Lawrence together. We need new schemes and play book. Miss Direction, Better screens, use Collie the way he has skill set. cross routs look best with him. Need something new to happen. Or forget this season period.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sekeres on 1040 has another Lions-related online poll at tsn1040.ca : What do the Lions need most?

Options (% so far): New QB (20%), Big Play Receiver (16%), Elite Pass Rusher (14%), Overhaul (49%)

I encourage everyone on this board as Lions fans to vote in 1040 polls anytime the Q is Lion-related, even if it's on a topic where you don't have a particularly strong view. I would think they keep an eye on the volume of response these polls garner as a guide to how they set their programming. I heard Sekeres yesterday saying they get a lot of correspondence from listeners who complain, "Why do you spend so much time covering a second-rate league like the CFL?" Maybe not exact quote but that was definitely the spirit of the comment he was trying to convey. So we have to make our voices heard as well. I was listening to Rintoul one evening a week or two ago and he read an email from a listener who said 1040 should be all-hockey. I know this might be all a bit ironic considering for which league the network has TV rights but there you go; we should remain active in countering these views.

Same goes for any Lions-specific audio they upload, whether it's a weekly hit with Lulay/Suitor/Tedford/whoever, or a one-off interview with anyone tied to the team or the league. Have a listen to as much of it as you can while the link is still there to click on and help show 1040 there's a healthy audience out there for CFL content in their programming. I'm sure (just like with the polls) they track how many hits their uploaded content receives and use this data in decisions of how to allocate their programming time.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Sekeres on 1040 has another Lions-related online poll at tsn1040.ca : What do the Lions need most?

Options (% so far): New QB (20%), Big Play Receiver (16%), Elite Pass Rusher (14%), Overhaul (49%)

I encourage everyone on this board as Lions fans to vote in 1040 polls anytime the Q is Lion-related, even if it's on a topic where you don't have a particularly strong view. I would think they keep an eye on the volume of response these polls garner as a guide to how they set their programming. I heard Sekeres yesterday saying they get a lot of correspondence from listeners who complain, "Why do you spend so much time covering a second-rate league like the CFL?" Maybe not exact quote but that was definitely the spirit of the comment he was trying to convey. So we have to make our voices heard as well. I was listening to Rintoul one evening a week or two ago and he read an email from a listener who said 1040 should be all-hockey. I know this might be all a bit ironic considering for which league the network has TV rights but there you go; we should remain active in countering these views.

Same goes for any Lions-specific audio they upload, whether it's a weekly hit with Lulay/Suitor/Tedford/whoever, or a one-off interview with anyone tied to the team or the league. Have a listen to as much of it as you can while the link is still there to click on and help show 1040 there's a healthy audience out there for CFL content in their programming. I'm sure (just like with the polls) they track how many hits their uploaded content receives and use this data in decisions of how to allocate their programming time.
I heard the recent program where Rintoul mentioned the all-hockey idea and said if the person who suggested that were in charge of the local TSN propertiess, he might choose to make one of TSN 1040 or TSN 1410 an all-hockey station. He also said the station hears from a lot of listeners who want more coverage of sports other than hockey. Personally, I was happy when the play-by-play and pre- and postgame shows for Lions games were on 1410 (TEAM 1410 in those days). I always enjoyed that station better because it carried a wide range of syndicated and network shows and little hockey programming. I think TSN 1040 has done a good job of broadening its coverage in the past year or so. I don't feel as overwhelmed by hockey talk on that station but I'm sure coverage of that sport will ramp up again soon when Canucks training camp opens.
InUrFace
Rookie

sj-roc wrote:Sekeres on 1040 has another Lions-related online poll at tsn1040.ca : What do the Lions need most?

Overhaul is at 68%
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:If you had $200 and wanted to buy a customized Lions jersey ... name one player it would worth that wasn't a member of the 2011 cup team? It tells you all you need to know of how their recruiting has gone in the last 4 years.
:beer:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

InUrFace wrote:

Overhaul is at 68%
Yeah, it's constantly updating as votes come in. Might go even higher before the show is done a 2pm. In fact it just notched up to 69% as I'm writing this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:

I heard the recent program where Rintoul mentioned the all-hockey idea and said if the person who suggested that were in charge of the local TSN propertiess, he might choose to make one of TSN 1040 or TSN 1410 an all-hockey station. He also said the station hears from a lot of listeners who want more coverage of sports other than hockey. Personally, I was happy when the play-by-play and pre- and postgame shows for Lions games were on 1410 (TEAM 1410 in those days). I always enjoyed that station better because it carried a wide range of syndicated and network shows and little hockey programming. I think TSN 1040 has done a good job of broadening its coverage in the past year or so. I don't feel as overwhelmed by hockey talk on that station but I'm sure coverage of that sport will ramp up again soon when Canucks training camp opens.
Canucks are advertising for lower bowl season tix. season tix drive must have went as well as the lions