Kevin Glenn coming to Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It is a done deal, and we have Kevin Glenn. Good.

We are not building from strength. We are not trading veterans for draft picks (as Calgary did with Jon Gott acquiring the #1 pick overall). We are doing the opposite. Bad.

We are not building through the draft, acquiring the highest rated Canadian talent out there. Bad.

We missed on a chance to acquire a top rated Canadian talent in the first round. Having to give up that draft pick should speak for itself.

Both sides can justify their positions. No one wins this kind of debate.

But my main contention is that at times in the past we had great QB depth. At times in the past we were able to acquire extra draft picks. At times in the past we were able to deal from strength. Yes, the CFL draft is a bit of gamble. But I think we all acknowledge that it is still the way to build championship teams.

No one wins a debate like this. And we do have a chance at the Cup. If that were to happen, those that like the trade for Kevin Glenn can certainly take some bows.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

Regardless of where Travis is at this year, I do hope the Lions announce Glenn will be the starter when the Lions play Ottawa in the nation's capital. It'd make for a great story-line.

Cheers,

James
South Pender
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:The Lions offer to C. Butler was apparently higher than the Ticat offer he accepted (according to Drew Edward's Scratching Post blog). It used to be that players would accept less to play in Lotusland, but now many Ontario players seem to prefer the east. For example, accommodation in parts of S. Ontario is probably 1/3rd of what it would cost in Vancouver.
Well, that's very interesting if it is indeed the case. Many forumers were berating Wally for cheapening out on Butler. Looks as if that may not be the case at all.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:The Lions offer to C. Butler was apparently higher than the Ticat offer he accepted (according to Drew Edward's Scratching Post blog). It used to be that players would accept less to play in Lotusland, but now many Ontario players seem to prefer the east. For example, accommodation in parts of S. Ontario is probably 1/3rd of what it would cost in Vancouver.
Well, that's very interesting if it is indeed the case. Many forumers were berating Wally for cheapening out on Butler. Looks as if that may not be the case at all.
And that's the other part of it. It's tough to outbid a guy's desire to play in their own backyard if they truly want to play there. Equal money won't do it. More money might not be enough either. The salary rumours indicate Butler didn't sign for a home town discount. He signed for a very good market price which it to say BC would've had to up the ante by probably at least 10% over the Ticat offer to lure him even farther west from home.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
The exact wording that Wally Mack used at the time was that his offer was "comparable"......you be can be very, very sure that if it was more, he would have stated that emphatically.....comparable to me means "not quite as much, but close".
Lloyd
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn did well in Calgary where they actually focus on their QB not being beaten up all game and they ensure he's protected first as well as they do run the football - even DD does that which might not have been his inclination other than he has learned working with his HC who used to call the plays - and who won't be as forgiving as WB and MB were when the former OC had stretches in season past where run blocking was too hard to teach.

We'll have to see if the new regime on the offense side is protect their QB first versus the kami kaze thinking that gets them hurt. I think Lulay's great but he still defends that ill fated effort at the end of the great run to score rather than not take a huge hit to put himself out of the game.

I hope the media spin that he is back up is just that and that the Lions will play both QBs at times to keep them both happy.

I know the Calgary situation was that Glenn pretty much had to play last year due to Tate's injury and they used all 3 QBs. This year they will unleash Bo Levi so they (if they don't get banged up) will be pretty good again.

The CFL should be better this year with the wild card team the RedBlacks as whether they will be as good as they think they'll be.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:The exact wording that Wally Mack used at the time was that his offer was "comparable"......you be can be very, very sure that if it was more, he would have stated that emphatically.....comparable to me means "not quite as much, but close".
Not necessarily, at least in my view. I don`t think Wally wanted to be seen as paying too much, and, had this (larger offer) been known, and Butler still opted for the East, this would--at least, perhaps, in Wally`s mind--have made the Lions look bad--not a team that guys want to play for. In addition, Wally may have felt sheepish in offering a king`s ransom for a DB--not typically where you splurge. I`d like to know more about the story posted in the Ti-Cat blog.
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
South Pender wrote:
The exact wording that Wally Mack used at the time was that his offer was "comparable"......you be can be very, very sure that if it was more, he would have stated that emphatically.....comparable to me means "not quite as much, but close".
This is how I recall the Butler deal finally come to conclusion from the Lions perspective. That said, doesn't Butler have a house in Vancouver with a Vancouverite fiance? If that is the case, it would have been more convenient for him to retain one household and live on the West Coast. The problem that I have with not securing Butler, is that he is exactly what the Lions have been looking for since Wally's arrival in BC. An NI, safety with cover skill, that has a nose for the football, and above all puts the fear of god for any receiver going down the middle.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:This is how I recall the Butler deal finally come to conclusion from the Lions perspective. That said, doesn't Butler have a house in Vancouver with a Vancouverite fiance? If that is the case, it would have been more convenient for him to retain one household and live on the West Coast. The problem that I have with not securing Butler, is that he is exactly what the Lions have been looking for since Wally's arrival in BC. An NI, safety with cover skill, that has a nose for the football, and above all puts the fear of god for any receiver going down the middle.
Butler "living in Vancouver" was misrepresented somewhat in the media. His girlfriend or fiancee, I forget which, was studying here and he came out here this off-season to live with her while she was in school. I too, read that the BC offer was > than Hamilton's, but it wasn't in a Tiger-Cat blog. Whether my source obtained their info from there, I'm not sure but I don't think it's too far fetched to think that Wally went hard after Craig Butler and had to offer more for a guy leaning toward playing close to his hometown.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

As stated above, Wally said their offer to Butler was similar to the Ti-Cats so he should take it to stay closer to home. It was Josh Bell who took less to play in Calgary. My thinking at the time was the Lions should have thrown $20,000 more at Butler and maybe it still wouldn't have got it done.

From LU column dated Feb 13:
"I'm not going to overpay for Josh Bell," said Buono, who would have done exactly that had Bell taken B.C's $111,000 offer instead of the $105,000 he accepted in Calgary, according to a source.

"We didn't get outbid with Bourke (who re-signed with Montreal before free agency) and we didn't get outbid with Butler (a London, Ont., native who signed for a reported $160,000 with Hamilton). If the offer from Hamilton was every bit as good as ours, why not take it? "It was disappointing, but it doesn't preclude us from finding other players. The ship ain't sinking. We'll develop our own. Free agency is just a way of fixing things."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono doesn't consider Kevin Glenn to be a backup

http://cfl.ca/article/buono-on-glenn-he ... uarterback
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Buono doesn't consider Kevin Glenn to be a backup

http://cfl.ca/article/buono-on-glenn-he ... uarterback
It doesn't matter what the Lions call him if he doesn't play. If he is the legit no. 2 with Travis not fully healed who know what will happen as he has said he believes it is his role to make those runs even lowering his shoulder. The Lion coaches might not like it - but they don't forbid it and there is a huge risk factor as a result.

Other than the Stamps collapse at the end of the year he had the best situation last year in Calgary with a highly supportive HC and OC and injuries to others but even if the draft had not happened this might possibly not have saved him this year from healthy QBs in Bo Levi Mitchell and Drew Tate -and he might have been relegated to number 3 - a spot the newly signed Adrian McPherson might fill.

So crazy that Adrian didn't keep hanging on in MTL as AC got older (unless he thought they didn't like him - but Popp doesn't keep guys that long he don't like).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy