Team 1040 reporting Mitchell to Argos.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Do you think the club ever tried to get Khalif counselling or therapy (I am talking professional help here. Not 15 minutes in Wally''s office for some fatherly advise)? I think it's rather well documented that he has some mental health issues. I recall he even admitted late last season that he has ADD. It's all well and good to say 'good riddance' and that he was petulant, selfish etc, but did anyone ever reach out to get him the help that he clearly needs? Or did they just take the "3 strikes" approach with each incident (the arm bar, the supposed throat slash gesture, the racist tweet), decided that he didn't conform and never will and said, "to hell with it - let's trade him."
I am sure the Lions did a great deal to try to help Khalif. Wally has had Frank Lodato as team psychologist for years. Even having a psychologist is a progressive step for a CFL team, or any team.

Players like Dante Marsh have alluded to how they tried to get through to Khalif.

After a while I believe one has to say: "This guy goes his own, stubborn way. He wants no help. He does not want to change." Look at how patient the Lions were last year with Khalif.

It seems to me, David, that at some point, one has to expect others (including athletes) to take responsibility for their actions, statements, and, indeed, for their lives.

I was very supportive of Khalif. Even now, I do not "condemn" him. But look at his first comments about the Argonauts. He wants out. Look at how he says he wants to destroy the Lions O Line. Look at his non-apology for his throat slashing gesture, his arm bar on Rottier, his racist comment. No apology.

Even though he has issues that bring forth sympathy, for me, his actions, his statements, and his poor response to teammates' attempts to reach him speak volumes about his selfish nature.

I do agree that it is a very sad story.

My best memory of him is his emotional post Grey Cup words as seen on tape. From the heart. But he is a guy who goes his own way, and to heck with the rest.

He will always be a short term guy with any team, it seems to me. Do people change? Rarely, and then it ends up as a book and a movie.

I would not fault the Lions one bit for their involvement with him, and what they did to try to help him.

Just IMO ...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Anyone who's met Khalif can attest to the fact that he's a good guy. :sigh:

DH :cool:
family friends and neighboors of people who commit discpicable crimes often say the same thing.

There is something wrong with this guy and he does indeed need some serious therapy. In the meantime, he does not belong on the field, nor in the locker room, and I be nervous about him in public as he is.

murphy, jiminez, mitchell. when is wally gonna stop putting this trash in bc uniforms.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:I do wish Andrew had kept those thoughts to himself. There are some thoughts that are simply better not to express. The departure of a team mate no matter how much you may not like him should not be subject matter for twitter or any other public media other than to just take the high road, wish him success in his new role with a new team and leave it at that.
Absolutely agree. It makes one wonder whether Andrew Harris is the classy guy he's been portrayed to be. Really immature and in no way constructive.
Last edited by South Pender on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:I do wish Andrew had kept those thoughts to himself. There are some thoughts that are simply better not to express. The departure of a team mate no matter how much you may not like him should not be subject matter for twitter or any other public media other than to just take the high road, wish him success in his new role with a new team and leave it at that.
Absolutely agree. I makes one wonder whether Andrew Harris is the classy guy he's been portrayed to be. Really immature and in no way constructive.
most likely, the overwelming sense of relief was so strong he just understandably had to do it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I totally concur. Harris' comments will only motivate Mitchell more when he faces the Lions.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote: IIRC, his agent left him after he turned down the NFL offer. Wanting Calgary is to display that he wants to take it out on BC more often than a TO destination will afford him. I really thought that the Lions had a DT to dominate for years, how unfortunate for him and the Lions.
Yep, he parted ways with his agent after saying no to the Dolphins' offer which included a $97,000 signing bonus. I recall being ecstatic at the time when he chose to return to BC but looking back it was an extremely bizzare decision given his young age (26), the guaranteed money and the chance to make a whole lot more in a career that can be all too brief.
The Dolphins have consistently shown interest in players from our neighbor to the north. In addition to signing Messam and Thigpen this offseason, the team also expressed interest in guard Jovan Olafioye and nose tackle Khalif Mitchell. Olafioye worked out for more than half the teams in the NFL and signed with the Rams last week, but was released and returned to Canada when he failed a physical. The Dolphins offered Mitchell a $97,000 signing bonus in January, but he declined and opted to return to the BC Lions.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:whs: I have to admit I enjoy those who 'shoot straight from the hip' but some things are better off left unsaid...
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Mitchell is just "riffing" right now because he's upset...that's what he does...the fact of the matter is that the Lions obviously do care about Khaliff, and did appreciate his forgoing the contract with Miami, because they found a trading partner for him...Khaliff might not understand just yet, but Wally just saved him a bunch of money by trading him and his contract instead of just outright releasing him.

As for the decision, Blitz and others are right...he just wasn't good enough last year...I defended Mitchell all season long, but the WF really ticked me, as he brought ZERO passion and ZERO results in a huge loss to Calgary. Others have noted that the best the Lions looked last year was when some of our high priced veteran talent was not in the lineup...what will Robert Jordan, Jabar Westerman, Nat Moore and Courtney Taylor be like this year with a full off season knowing that they are starters?

The decision to move K. Williams inside is a good one IMO...Keron's game dropped off the 2nd half of the season, and at this stage of his career, it might very well be the best way to utilize his talent.

As to Archibald, we will see...obviously the Lions are very confident in the talent they have under contract to play right tackle for this scenario to play out. Olafoye at LT will make Lulay that much better.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In the modern era with Twitter players will say things that to some are better left unsaid. I think Harris would have been wise to let it go but we live in differing times.

At times it is how a player practices against you where you are working to get routes right and add in wrinkles such as running plays and there is one guy on the def. side lining you up for an unnecessary hit (even if it is not a big one). I have no idea if this happened or not but even MB said he saw the crossing in practice. I think that should have been handled right then and there! Stop that now sort of talk. This is the kind of thing that alienates. Or the fact that the player is causing issues where the media just focus on that - that too can get tiring for players and a team that see themselves as part of an entertainment business where more fans could mean bigger cheques. Things that hurt that or their team aren't valued.

I think the Mitchell antics should have been stopped at the first sign of the cross. Then the arm twisting should have been instant and complete denunciation of the play vs. saying he has appeal rights. Trestman did that with his player. Immediately post game said that is not Alouette football. We don't do that.

I cut Benevides much slack as his only media moment where I felt he could have laid out the rules firmer was missed with the first khalif incident.

Hey I felt Wally messed up with the first signs of Jerome Messam being an issue (bar fight from college where JM said he was a by stander only to be convicted as more than that) and then the Paris J broken jaw - then TC violations of some sort that led to players complaining. I felt the first signs should have had him under Wally's thumb (but Wally let's men be men - or not).

I think let men be men until they show themselves to be boys and then let them know immediately just what the boundaries are.

Khalif is not a bad person but there are signs here of his not wanting to go to the Argos and wanting to talk to Wally that are not looking good for him. This suggests that he heading to where he very badly hurt himself.

Milanovich and co. can't be looking at this as would a GM like Jim Barker. I think SM and Chris Jones won't be taking that shot laying down.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote: The decision to move K. Williams inside is a good one IMO...Keron's game dropped off the 2nd half of the season, and at this stage of his career, it might very well be the best way to utilize his talent.
I was surprised to hear of this plan. It seemed as though they had adequate talent and numbers on the inside with Taylor, Westerman, and Jordan. With Williams now going to the inside, my fear is that we will be somewhat weaker at the ends, with an aging Khreem Smith, a somewhat-mediocre Julius Williams, and who else?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:I was surprised to hear of this plan. It seemed as though they had adequate talent and numbers on the inside with Taylor, Westerman, and Jordan. With Williams now going to the inside, my fear is that we will be somewhat weaker at the ends, with an aging Khreem Smith, a somewhat-mediocre Julius Williams, and who else?
Jordan was brought in last year as an end and was activated as an interior lineman only on an emrgency basis with Mitchell and Taylor out of the lineup at various times late in the season. He showed enough power and quickness to play either position. That flexibility is a great asset. I expect him to back up both positions, although he may not make the 42-man roster.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
South Pender wrote:I was surprised to hear of this plan. It seemed as though they had adequate talent and numbers on the inside with Taylor, Westerman, and Jordan. With Williams now going to the inside, my fear is that we will be somewhat weaker at the ends, with an aging Khreem Smith, a somewhat-mediocre Julius Williams, and who else?
Jordan was brought in last year as an end and was activated as an interior lineman only on an emrgency basis with Mitchell and Taylor out of the lineup at various times late in the season. He showed enough power and quickness to play either position. That flexibility is a great asset. I expect him to back up both positions, although he may not make the 42-man roster.
I was hoping for more on the Jordan front for 2013, he impressed me a ton with his speed and ability to play DT. With an abundance of talent on the roster, Mitchell's off and on field antics weren't necessary to put up with. To me, why move Williams into DT when Jordan was a factor with little game time under his belt, how much further would he progress with more playing time?
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer, I think they move KWill inside because they believe Jordan could be a monster outside...the rotation will be Smith, JWill, and Jordan outside...and Taylor, Westerman, Evans or Udofia inside...with lots of flexibility both ways...the coaches must love this...

I am intrigued by talk of Archibald not coming back...because with Olayfoye at LT, it opens up a spot for Ossai at RT...and he looked very good there last preseason...I know the Lions have also brought in 3 other imports for competition, but I really liked what I saw from Ossai...the same goes with DBs Bell and Lawson...both were lights out in preseason.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like Mitchell is not the only one who wants out of his contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=419896
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Looks like Mitchell is not the only one who wants out of his contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=419896
I think he is paid $55,000 a year. I am not sure of what they knew of his ability at the time of the contract but it appears Obie and co. signed this guy cheap and now the Ticats are getting it back in a less than loyal player who is stuck in that $$$ contract unless he extends. No extension, no money.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy