Lions release Otis Floyd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:We already lost one starter on the D-line, no way should we get rid of T. Williams with nobody to replace him. He has been the foundation of our defence for many seasons and even if his age might reduce his effectiveness somewhat, he is one veteran I would not like the Lions to put out to pasture. Even if you had to spell him on alternate downs while you develop his replacement, he would still be a valuable member of the team.

I'm torn on B. Miles. He's smart and didn't he lead the league in INT's last yr? Plus he is good for at least one blocked kick per season. But he is slowing and perhaps his tackling is suspect. But we can't release him until we have a replacement, and I don't think we can rely on unproven T. Crawford to automatically be the starter, without having another option.

Not really too broke up about losing O. Floyd, or even J. Johnson for that matter. We need an LB upgrade there from stem to stern.

Since the Lions have an extra $500,000 to play with, I wonder mabey if Casey Printers is available?? :tease:

I'm in the camp that we need to release Ty Williams. Who doesn't love the big guy? He's been a great Leo but he's 36 years old and we need more penetration on the pass rush than Williams provides. As for Barrin Miles, he would have been my choice over Washington as our defensive backfield coach if we could have waited for a year. Miles' best days as a safety are behind him...he hasn't played well since the first half of the '07 season. Still he's a Wally favorite. One possibility would be to use him as our dime back or eight back so he could still play special teams and also play dual safety when we use that formation. Miles just doesn't have the range for free safety anymore, his tackling is awful, and Crawford is ready for prime time. Crawford is also a Canadian and that gives us much more flexibility with our lineup!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
zark
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:We already lost one starter on the D-line, no way should we get rid of T. Williams with nobody to replace him. He has been the foundation of our defence for many seasons and even if his age might reduce his effectiveness somewhat, he is one veteran I would not like the Lions to put out to pasture. Even if you had to spell him on alternate downs while you develop his replacement, he would still be a valuable member of the team.

I'm torn on B. Miles. He's smart and didn't he lead the league in INT's last yr? Plus he is good for at least one blocked kick per season. But he is slowing and perhaps his tackling is suspect. But we can't release him until we have a replacement, and I don't think we can rely on unproven T. Crawford to automatically be the starter, without having another option.

Not really too broke up about losing O. Floyd, or even J. Johnson for that matter. We need an LB upgrade there from stem to stern.

Since the Lions have an extra $500,000 to play with, I wonder mabey if Casey Printers is available?? :tease:
Your not saying that because you have a Printers jersey kicking around, Are you? I know a few friends who want to see him back for that very reason.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
pennw
Legend

SammyGreene wrote: And PennW I think Clermont said three veteran leaders being released and I don't think Roberts falls in the leadership category with this team.
I believe he was referred to as such in the Province . I mean he was referred to as a veteran , although I too disagreed that he had such a status in BC . But the referral seemed to be that three veterans were being cut and those being Roberts , Clermont and Floyd .
But what ever , we'll soon see if more are getting cut .
The_Pauser
Legend

Hopefully Jarious is next to go.
Roar you Lions roar!