Report: Wake wants out of his contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Larry Key
Hall of Famer

First, it's Boden with his troubles and wanting out and now this. It would be a blow to lose this guy but we have depth with Foley and Ala ready to step in. This is what we must face each year... a player who played well above his (and Leo's) expectations and doing so, big daddy (NFL) coming around throwing out the dough to snatch him out of our grasps! Get use to it. :no:

If CW did make a roster down there, I'd sure be watching him on the tube for sure!
Hungry Lion
Rookie

The B.C. Lions if they wanted could trade Wake to a NFL team for money.

The B.C. Lions traded QB Joe Knapp to the Minnesota Vikings for WR Jim Young in the past.
Est Sularis oth Mithas - My Honour is My Life said by Sturm Brightblade from
Margret Weis & Tracy Hickman Dragonlance books.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Check out the CFLPA story I just posted. Wake's contract out may apply to a lot of players across the league. It's not just Wake.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
pennw
Legend

Jim Mullin wrote:Check out the CFLPA story I just posted. Wake's contract out may apply to a lot of players across the league. It's not just Wake.
Where is it? Link?
pennw
Legend

pennw wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote:Check out the CFLPA story I just posted. Wake's contract out may apply to a lot of players across the league. It's not just Wake.
Where is it? Link?

Never mind , I just saw it.
Zarquon
Champion

Anyone know what players this may apply to because maybe there are some good new free agents about to become available.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
ziggy
Legend

I guess at the end of the day though, how well will a player play, if he wants out! It's sad that a contract means so little in sports , but that seems to be the rule rather than the exception (loyalty is also in short supply on both sides). Would be good if he stayed and played to the best of his ability then took his shot in his option year, but I guess its all about goiung to the big show! I'm sure the Lions will thrive with or without CW.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hungry Lion wrote:The B.C. Lions if they wanted could trade Wake to a NFL team for money.

The B.C. Lions traded QB Joe Knapp to the Minnesota Vikings for WR Jim Young in the past.
That was also 40 years ago. Much has changed since then in how player rights are acquired, transfered and controlled.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Ok knowitall (not) , just how does this translate into " you all seem to support this lack of integrity" ?
because everyone discussing it like its just another possible free agent lose, bummer but whatever type thing.

Nobody taking him to task over it, telling it like it is, questioning his character as I am, etc.

Nobody else seems to be indicating any less opinion of him over it.

Yet, when Bure justifiably wanted out, boy did canuck fans turn on him.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DerekDD
Starter

what no one has said is that the agreement between the nfl and the cfl respecting players the cfl has signed to contracts has expired and has not been renewed. i think this is the loophole that cameron wake may exploit and technically there is not an agreement.

it expired in february and was not renewed. cam wake may win his case.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

What I want to know is, if an arbitrator is involved and if the issue is whether or not teams refused to offer 1+1, will the player(s) have to prove this, or will he just take their word on it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DerekDD wrote:what no one has said is that the agreement between the nfl and the cfl respecting players the cfl has signed to contracts has expired and has not been renewed. i think this is the loophole that cameron wake may exploit and technically there is not an agreement.

it expired in february and was not renewed. cam wake may win his case.
Can't see where that makes a difference as that agreement allows them to leave a year earlier than they could without it in place. With that agreement in place Wake or any other player cannot jump to the NFL until the offseason prior to their option year. In Wake's case that wouldn't be until after 2009. If there is not an agreement then Wake couldn't leave until he became a free agent AFTER he played out his option, ergo 2010.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:What I want to know is, if an arbitrator is involved and if the issue is whether or not teams refused to offer 1+1, will the player(s) have to prove this, or will he just take their word on it.
I think it's fairly common knowledge that it's standard practice for Buono to only offer minimum 2+1 to rookies. As I offered in Jim Mullin's thread re: the CFLPA looking into ALL 2007 rookie contracts I believe this has become a standard practice by all CFL GMs and is a result of the NFL/CFL Agreement and the Option Year window. Prior to that agreement teams could offer a 1+1 and retain the player for 2 seasons, assuming he proves himself. With the option year clause a player on a 1+1 can leave after 1 year IF he signs an NFL contract in the specified timeframe. So GMs are trying to protect their interests by insisting on a 2+1.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Vancouver Sun's story on the Wake situation and other news by Elliott Pap. :shock:

There must be some hockey beat writers in town who have run out of Canuck news for the time being.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 3f245b9dba
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Hungry Lion wrote:The B.C. Lions traded QB Joe Knapp
Ladies and gentlemen:
Starting at quarterback for your BC Lions...
From the University of California...
Wearing No.22...

JOE KNAPP!!

:yahoo: :beer: