Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
All Star

Justifiable concern for Carey after 2023 but there were a few contributing factors including two new tackles that played into the end result. I wondered if part of the plan was to keep Carey fresh once Mills established himself as a viable alternative where if Mills was not on the team they may have kept plugging with a nicked up Carey. Both have shown great talent.

The thing I like about Carey is the defence has to account for him in second and long situations. Second and seven is not an automatic pass. Of course he has to be on the field for that to happen.

Devonte Williams may sign for less and might be interested in a playoff money counts as well discussion.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:28 pm
I have the feeling that Edmonton would offer Betts the crazy money ($300K) to go back there.

I do believe he wants to stay in BC from interviews I heard last year, so I am hopeful that $260K-$265K + incentives would get it done.

DH :cool:
You never know with the Elks. How can we forget BC offering Lawler a 2-year deal ($250,000/$260,000) back in 2022 FA only to see the Elks land him on a 1-year $300,000 deal
https://3downnation.com/2022/02/12/the- ... -contract/

Edmonton seems to be in position to spend some money. They added about $50,000 to the payroll by swapping Cornelius for Bethel-Thompson and the Ceresna ($210,000)/Gittens Jr. ($200,000) trade left their payroll intact.

They freed up $200,000 on the release of Dunbar and have also let go veteran DBs Grimes and Gainey along with Konar. Would they take a run at bringing Betts back? How about Hladik?
As Hambone suggested earlier Cottoy seemed like a good fit but thank goodness the Lions got that deal done.
Who knows what Jones is thinking,
don corleone
All Star

I think Edmonton will re-sign A.C. Leonard followed by Purifoy. Both good players. As usual Jones is looking at a lot of DL guys in hopes of finding another gem. A cheap import DE is almost his specialty. He also runs a lot of three on the line formations that may not suit Betts strengths as much.

Best scenario for Betts imo is to stay put and sign for a decent amount that allows the team to sign more good players. Lions have a good group of National D linemen. Daniel Joseph is an intriguing name.

Some good players will be released after camp also so nice to have space if the right guy comes available.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:49 am
Justifiable concern for Carey after 2023 but there were a few contributing factors including two new tackles that played into the end result. I wondered if part of the plan was to keep Carey fresh once Mills established himself as a viable alternative where if Mills was not on the team they may have kept plugging with a nicked up Carey. Both have shown great talent.
Carey has struggled with injuries right from Day 1 in Calgary and even before with Chicago. In his first year with Calgary in 2019 he missed the final 10 games with a broken arm. The Covid shortened 2021 season was his healthiest playing 13 of 14. He missed 4 games in 2022 and 9 more in 2023 with a foot injury. 2017 was to be his 4th year with the Bears but in late August he suffered a wrist injury that was to keep him out for 6 weeks. Bears put him on injured reserve then a few days later released him with an injury settlement.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:24 am
I think Edmonton will re-sign A.C. Leonard followed by Purifoy. Both good players.
Edmonton extended Purifoy nearly 2 weeks ago. They only have 6 pending FAs left to deal with. Leonard is the most prominent. They probably let Manny and maybe St.John walk.
don corleone
All Star

I think the deal with Mathieu Betts is there are offers that the Lions can wait for the negotiating window to open before having to make their offer. Probably most of the big names are in that spot. Most probably know what is going to happen already.

Perhaps not a popular move but .... Lions could trade Betts rights to Montreal for Caleb Evans and still put an offer in on Betts.
don corleone
All Star

Bo Lokombo might be a good fit in Sask. now that they have younger signed. My guess is Lions will match any offer for Hladik and possibly Woods. Ryder Varga appears ready if they do move on from Lokombo.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:16 am
I think the deal with Mathieu Betts is there are offers that the Lions can wait for the negotiating window to open before having to make their offer. Probably most of the big names are in that spot. Most probably know what is going to happen already.

Perhaps not a popular move but .... Lions could trade Betts rights to Montreal for Caleb Evans and still put an offer in on Betts.
Definitely. There is no point in the Lions outbidding themselves. Might as well wait until Sunday's FA negotiation window to open and if a $300,000 offer comes his way then so be it.

Plan B for the Lions should include this option. They will have to tweak the ratio anyways to get anywhere near the same kind of production in Betts' spot.
@JohnDHodge
Per sources, Jackson Jeffcoat will not re-sign with the Blue Bombers before the CFL's negotiation window opens on Feb. 4.

A return to Winnipeg remains possible but it appears the 33-year-old wants to find out what other options are available.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

With this legal tampering window starting Feb 4th, I wonder how much back channels are feeling out players in the CFL as I type this.
Everyone in the CFL knows someone on other teams whether it's a coach or player or other.

If the Lions were thinking they were going to lose Betts to Montreal, what could do they do to get something in return ahead of Free Agency?
Trade him and if so, for whom?

If that were to happen, it'd have to be before Feb 4 or Montreal could make an offer to him knowing he'd be signing with them and avoid giving up anything.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The one thing about the legal tampering window is that for the final 2 days it closes for everybody but BC. In those final 2 days BC has exclusive negotiating rights and can use them armed with the contract details of all other offers made by other teams. With roughly 5-1/2 days left until the window opens is it worth it for Montreal to give something up.
don corleone
All Star

Als release William Stanback. Perhaps not entirely unrelated to the Lions and effectively taking the right to match out of the Als hands. He could be very good.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions take care of another key FA with a two-year extension for Josh Woods. No word yet on the amount of money but for certain a significant raise coming off his entry level deal.
Now it gets interesting with Hladik still unsigned and Bo Lokombo due a bonus on Thursday.
He was the league's 8th highest paid LB last season. Do the Lions have cap room to keep Lokombo and give Hladik a significant pay raise off his rookie contract too?

https://www.bclions.com/2024/01/30/josh ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:31 am
Als release William Stanback. Perhaps not entirely unrelated to the Lions and effectively taking the right to match out of the Als hands. He could be very good.
I don't think Montreal was going to put much effort into re-signing Stanback. After missing 13 games in 2022 and 4 more this year they have to be concerned about the injury factor and wear and tear that has him not quite the back he used to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Perhaps of bigger concern to Lionbackers and the Lions is the other news that just came out of Montreal. They just lost NAT DE Lwal Uguak to Tampa Bay of the NFL.

It's hard to guess if that means they have greater need for somebody like Betts or if the lack of other NAT DL depth for backup purposes softens the need. They only have 2 other NAT DL on the roster in Brock Gowanlock and Vincent Desjardins. Desjardins is a pending FA and Gowanlock is not to be confused with David Menard as a tag team partner to Betts.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:31 am
Perhaps of bigger concern to Lionbackers and the Lions is the other news that just came out of Montreal. They just lost NAT DE Lwal Uguak to Tampa Bay of the NFL.

It's hard to guess if that means they have greater need for somebody like Betts or if the lack of other NAT DL depth for backup purposes softens the need. They only have 2 other NAT DL on the roster in Brock Gowanlock and Vincent Desjardins. Desjardins is a pending FA and Gowanlock is not to be confused with David Menard as a tag team partner to Betts.
Wow that is quite a development. I thought Uguak's promise, never mind his rookie contract too, would make the Als think long and hard about signing Betts. Now they have freed up about $165,000 of last year's cap space with Stanback's release.

Some interesting days ahead.