CKNW - BC Place stadium roof collapsed

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Could they not build temp seating at UBC, or SFU, or Swanguard, or..??
Does Swanguard have a CFL field ?
The soccer pitch would be used for a football field (similar dimensions are used for both sports) in that case, but as mentioned above this won't be happening.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Could they not build temp seating at UBC, or SFU, or Swanguard, or..??
I am sure it is wide enough, but not sure if it is long enough, specially for proper endzones. I forgot that it has a track around it to hamper field expansion. At least I think it still has a track around it. Been about 35 yrs since I last was in it. Ah well, it was just a thought.
Yeah, it still has the track. In fact, I think the track was completely rebuilt-resurfaced just a few years ago :)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
The soccer pitch would be used for a football field (similar dimensions are used for both sports) in that case, but as mentioned above this won't be happening.
just for clarity on a moot point anyhow. Brief research provides a picture of Swangard that shows the Track cutting off any potential endzones.

Also, it seems they already have some seating on the east side that I am sure they didnt have 35 yrs ago. So even if they needed and would consider temp usage of the stadium, they would have to replace existing eastside seating, and destroy the track. Never happen.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
just for clarity on a moot point anyhow. Brief research provides a picture of Swangard that shows the Track cutting off any potential endzones.

Also, it seems they already have some seating on the east side that I am sure they didnt have 35 yrs ago. So even if they needed and would consider temp usage of the stadium, they would have to replace existing eastside seating, and destroy the track. Never happen.
I don't know about the track cutting off the endzones as being a problem, as CommonWealth stadium must face similar constaints. The actual pitch may be 120 yards in length between the goal lines.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I don't know about the track cutting off the endzones as being a problem, as CommonWealth stadium must face similar constaints. The actual pitch may be 120 yards in length between the goal lines.
yes, I have found where they say a soccer field can be as much as 130, but a football field needs a minimun of 140 and should have 150-160. Swangards track looks to start turning in right at the goal lines leaving no room to spare. It must be smaller than CommonWealth?? Then again, I have found also that a soccer field can be up to 100 yrds wide, although I have never played on one wider than a CFL field. If swangards field is wider than 65, then maybe small endzones could happen.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:just for clarity on a moot point anyhow. Brief research provides a picture of Swangard that shows the Track cutting off any potential endzones.

yes, I have found where they say a soccer field can be as much as 130, but a football field needs a minimun of 140 and should have 150-160. Swangards track looks to start turning in right at the goal lines leaving no room to spare. It must be smaller than CommonWealth?? Then again, I have found also that a soccer field can be up to 100 yrds wide, although I have never played on one wider than a CFL field. If swangards field is wider than 65, then maybe small endzones could happen.
I am pretty sure that a 400 meter track is of standard shape, in order to qualify for any record that may be set on it, and Swangards certainly would fall into that category, as would CW's.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Stop guessing.

http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityhall/ ... ium.html#3

It's short a CFL field. Having said that, why the hell are we discussing the Lions at Swangard? :?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:Stop guessing.

It's short a CFL field. Having said that, why the hell are we discussing the Lions at Swangard? :?
we are not, really. Just discussing if it would be possible.
Last edited by KnowItAll on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Soccer Field 68 metres x 105 metres
whats that in yards??
71 by 115

As an aside, I just read that we've seen the last of Commonwealth's grass feild.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Stop guessing.

we are not, really. Just discussing if it would be possible.
whats that in yards??
It does hold football at 60 X 130M, case closed.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

using a conversion rate of 2.54 cm to 1 inch, (which I seem to remember in the back cobwebs of my mind), and excell, I came up with the following

114.8293963 yds x 74.36570429 yds
Football Field 60 metres x 130 metres *
142.1697288 yds x 65.6167979 yds

So that would give aprox 16 yrd endzones with corners cut off quite severely.

I wonder, if the lions for some reason ever wanted to try to use Swangard on temp basis, would the CFL let them have such bad enzones??
Last edited by KnowItAll on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

It does hold football at 60 X 130M, case closed.
Football, yes, CFL football, thats is the question.
120dB
Legend

That 114 yd x 74 yd dimensions for a soccer field; is that International FIFA size or North American size? Or is the soccer pitch same dimensions around the world?
squishy35
Legend

Lionheart wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
whats that in yards??
71 by 115

As an aside, I just read that we've seen the last of Commonwealth's grass feild.
Source?

It would be great if true. :yes:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Source?

It would be great if true. :yes:[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonweal ... (Edmonton)

It does come with an asterisk though.