Lions 42 - Eskimos 32, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressed with the Lions run game. Offensive line opened up some huge holes even an elephant can run through untouched.
yukonlion
All Star

too many run up the gut in the 2nd half that left us in 2nd and long.... when we diversified it worked... gotta keep the defence guessing... but a tough gritty win that weve been getting over our last games... hopeful!'
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Congrats to the Lions for making the playoffs! The dust still has to settle on exactly where and when they'll be for that business, but the mere fact they will be involved is pretty darned exciting.

It was an interesting Friday night contest -- victory never a sure thing even with their stellar third quarter production. Hats off to Travis and co. Is Lulay's top-flight 131.25 QB efficiency rating for the game accurate, or perhaps a statistician typo? It seems dramatically high, give the assorted stats are pretty good but not IMO stellar. But then there always seems to be an element of mystery in how that's calculated.

But anyhow, there was reason for rejoicing upon viewing the offensive efficiency in that 3rd quarter. Good to see Posey finally getting sprung, and Sutton crashing and banging his way to near 100 yard game. Burnham continues to contribute in the way we've come to expect of him. He's the purrfect team player IMO.

Wonderful to see Rainey take it all the way on that kickoff return. I hope he's not seriously injured, it looked like he hobbled off at one point later in the game. And speaking of special teams, Ty Long just quietly goes about his business these days, getting it done in every facet.

I was delighted for our Canadian linebacker duo -- Lokombo and Herdman -- very solid play I thought, along with savvy Otha Foster.

Does anyone know if the greater responsibility for the late 4th quarter interception lies with Lulay or with Collins Jr.? That ratcheted up the tension big time! Talk about drama.

But that's the way it's gone this season -- always some element of drama, and so it will continue no doubt. Our Leos don't win easy and running away. You don't ever leave early! But it's certainly entertaining. Congrats again. (I hope we somehow manage to stay in the West for postseason play. Partly because I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but also because I don't think the East is necessarily an easier route to where we want to get to.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pressure defence. Overload at the LOS. Whom to block? Who is blitzing? Not everytime, but enough to cause mistakes in the O. Mix it up.

screengrab-20181020-040646.jpg
screengrab-20181020-040710.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Beautiful design and execution on this Sutton run. Huge hole. As we know, the O Line loves to run block.

screengrab-20181020-041342.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OL at the second level hunting down LBs.

5 Eskies at the LOS sealed off. Sutton running free. Gorgeous.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is nice. At the 4. Play action. Spread the field. No rugby scrum trying to move earth, and punch it up the gut. Burnham gets separation. Lulay throws a dart.

screengrab-20181020-042632.jpg

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great throw, catch and run, Lulay to Posey.

I noticed Grymes close the gap and almost make a desperation tackle.

Looked it up and Grymes ran the 100 in college, and had a 4.4 in the 40. Serious speed.

screengrab-20181020-060907.jpg
screengrab-20181020-060937.jpg
Gotta love the CFL. I am sure Posey knows Grymes. But if he didn't he would be asking: ''Who is that guy trying to run me down?'' Ha ha

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Success this year?

Changes.

Wally brought in ''Ruthless Ed'' the bounty hunter. LOL He will rip you, even publicly. (Booo) And he will find serious talent.

Wally allowed Mark to test the waters on pressure defence.

Wally has let Jarious diversify the playbook. Play action. Better, detailed, customized routes, giving more separation. Better running game plan. Reduce RPO down to zero.

A little, tiny bit of creativity on STs. Reinebold, imo, would have ripped his hair out and left for Hawaii otherwise.

It is (mostly) all good. Wally wants to win, and he is a survivor.

Great, great stretch of games.

Kudos to all the staff.

And of course to the players for their amazing spirit.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Posey has some serious stats himself. 4.39 in the 40. Great size.

Wonderlic? Who gives a f*** about the Wonderlic? I know. I know. But, as Terry Bradshaw asked: ''How smart do you have to be anyway, to play quarterback?''

IMO you have to be football smart, not academically smart, to play football at any position.

screengrab-20181020-063801.jpg

Dusty
Champion

Last night was a great game to be in the stands. Tremendous atmosphere in the second half with the team and fans in sync. Made me want to renew my seats!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Once you got the first twelve minutes of brain farts out of the way, this was a fun game to watch.

This feels a lot like the 2007 team, but with QBs who don't quite have the arm strength that JJ did. The end result is a pass game with more intermediate routes than deep routes (as long as Travis is healthy, at least) a dominating run game and a top shelf defense.

Most importantly, both lines asserted themselves very well overall, once the offense made the adjustments to Edmonton's blitz schemes. I find it noteworthy that only the Lions were called for holding, *ahem* but we'll let that slide.

Personally, I'm a fan of going the East route. I see little from either Hamilton or Ottawa that impresses me and Travis is clearly better than both QBs. (In fact, I think any of the four teams out west could go out east and make it through).

We are much, much better coached than we have been in previous seasons. You may be dissatisfied by the philosophy behind some of the schemes, and I wish our run game utilized the B and C gaps more without relying on a pulling guard, particularly, but the mark of a good coaching staff is how well they adjust and this team, pretty consistently adjusts well throughout the game in all three phases and you see that result in situations like the third quarter TD explosion.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Lions need to come out the chute hot and continue the momentum. Enough of this first quarter sleeping.
pennw
Legend

Mark Washington doing an outstanding job ! One of the better DC in the league.