It's official. Adam Bighill now a Bomber (page 2)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill's value in the locker room can't be overlooked. The Lions lacked veteran leadership last year. BIghill is a leader who inspires others. Micah Awe and Dyshawn Davis can't match that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 am
I don't want Bighill to go elsewhere in part because I don't want to see him make a Lions opponent stronger.
With his wife being from Vancouver, and Bighill kinda owing the Lions one for releasing him when and how they did, (and the Lions getting fined for doing it), I think he gives the Lions the "Hometown Discount".
Given he lives locally all year round and is a northwest Washington guy playing for BC has to be worth several thousand $ per year in contract value versus suiting up elsewhere. The question is how many more $/year would it take for another organization to secure his services over top of what Hervey might offer. Another thing that could work in BC's favour is by now all clubs have their TC rosters full and more or less set their SMS budget. Any team interested in Biggie would be in much the same situation as the Lions. If it's going to cost them in the area of $200K they too will have to be very creative to make it work cap-wise including having to make decisions on jettisoning salary. Timing for Bighill in terms of his market value couldn't be worse for coming back north given everybody will be fairly set for roster and cap. That could in turn benefit BC if they want to get him back.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:20 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 am
I don't want Bighill to go elsewhere in part because I don't want to see him make a Lions opponent stronger.
With his wife being from Vancouver, and Bighill kinda owing the Lions one for releasing him when and how they did, (and the Lions getting fined for doing it), I think he gives the Lions the "Hometown Discount".
Given he lives locally all year round and is a northwest Washington guy playing for BC has to be worth several thousand $ per year in contract value versus suiting up elsewhere. The question is how many more $/year would it take for another organization to secure his services over top of what Hervey might offer. Another thing that could work in BC's favour is by now all clubs have their TC rosters full and more or less set their SMS budget. Any team interested in Biggie would be in much the same situation as the Lions. If it's going to cost them in the area of $200K they too will have to be very creative to make it work cap-wise including having to make decisions on jettisoning salary. Timing for Bighill in terms of his market value couldn't be worse for coming back north given everybody will be fairly set for roster and cap. That could in turn benefit BC if they want to get him back.
When has that stopped the Riders? :wink:

Whatever he saves by living at home as opposed to renting on the road is largely negated should he make playoff money elsewhere and we miss the playoffs here. Of course, having Biggie on your team can make you that much stronger to potentially be in a playoff position.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Would he give us a bit of a hometown discount? Most likely. Family and friend are here, he's a native and we took one on the chin from the league for letting him go to New Orleans.

At 29, he isn't getting other NFL opportunities.

I do think he moves the needle in terms of marketing. Personalities matter. Leadership matters.

I do think we're trying to move now to send Wally out with a bang. From that perspective, we're more likely to gold watch him than resign an Awe if the choice is one or the other. If you're asking me to choose between the two....boy, that's a tough one. I'd go 60/40 he comes back and Awe does not, but that's just me.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm
When has that stopped the Riders? :wink:

Whatever he saves by living at home as opposed to renting on the road is largely negated should he make playoff money elsewhere and we miss the playoffs here. Of course, having Biggie on your team can make you that much stronger to potentially be in a playoff position.

When looking at options for signing potential playoff money can be like fool's gold. A player can look at one team as having better odds than the next of making the playoffs and another as having poor odds but there are absolutely no guarantees. Things change quickly in the CFL. For many teams playoff bonus hopes rest entirely on the health of the QB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Bighill won't be showing up in Kamloops anytime soon, per Farhan Lalji on Twitter.

Qman
Champion

the day Soli signed for 245k ... was the day Bighill was never going to be a lion again.
no way we can afford both under the cap.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm
It looks like Bighill won't be showing up in Kamloops anytime soon, per Farhan Lalji on Twitter.

"Alright, uh. Thanks for coming. Can we get a look at the playbook the Saints gave you?"
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:19 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

"Alright, uh. Thanks for coming. Can we get a look at the playbook the Saints gave you?"
IMO, getting a copy of an opponent's playbook is greatly overvalued because each game the plays that an opponent runs are captured on tape and available for viewing post game with a lot of it available during the game.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You'd have to think he'd give it a go again in the NFL as the money is better.

The only advantage for the future for BC Lions is that his off season residence in the lower mainland means he'd be able to come back to BC quickly and not have to look for housing and get settled.

Offsetting that are two big issues:
1. Perceived need by BC for him and the price he'd demand. New GM might have a different price point in mind than the old GM, now just HC.

2. He lives away from home now during the football season and he might not mind that if the money was much better elsewhere in the CFL. But would it be that much better for than living at home here in the lower mainland?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Close to signing with the Bombers (as I initially feared), per Ted Wyman, sports editor of the Winnipeg Sun.
‏ @Ted_Wyman

Hearing the #Bombers very close to signing LB Adam Bighill. Would be huge signing for #CFL team on eve of main training camp

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I wish Biggie well on a personal basis. We have Solomon. Biggie is somewhat easier to replace, although not easy. And he is a very good player. He has had a lot of success in the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

It's official. Bighill a Bomber. Didn't expect to see this happening so fast.
@Ted_Wyman

It's official. #Bombers announce they have signed Adam Bighill. Huge addition at LB. #CFL

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm a bit surprised that Bighill didn't return to B.C., but I wish him well and I'm glad he came back to the CFL.

The Bombers likely had more room to fit him under the cap. The Lions will be fine with Dyshawn Davis, Bo Lokombo and Keelan Johnson rotating at the WILL spot, but Bighill's leadership and fan appeal will be missed here.
The_Pauser
Legend

Huge blunder by Ed Hervey here. Reports that he passed on Bighill. Very disappointed in this. You saw how much worse our defense was without him on the field last year. Winnipeg got a huge pickup while we still have a hole at the WILL.

IF this means we somehow bring back Micah Awe, and also pick up Dexter McCoil, fine. But I doubt that's going to happen. Big mistake.
Roar you Lions roar!