Assistant Coaching Staff Changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

aklawitter wrote:the only positive way to spin this:

kelly bates has received a more lucrative offer elsewhere
angus reid is our new OL/RB/whatever coach
khari jones has been demoted

does this seem likely? if not, yikes

i used to be a season ticket holder, now i might not even be going to a game if a ticket was given to me
How is that a positive way to spin this? Just because Bates may have received a more lucrative offer elsewhere (doubtful, he was under contract with us) doesn't mean letting him go is a positive. Also what the hell on Angus Reid? Let him be in the media, I don't want him near our team. And I"m confused with Jones. Is he staying on as OC? Or has he been demoted?
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

If this report comes to fruition I am going to be so PO''D ...its CRAZY.

Bates has done an excellent job with our Leos. Bates influence was significant in his first year with our Leos, when he helped Dorazio with the offensive line. As our running backs coach Andrew Harris has credited Bates with helping him be patient in using blocking (when we have it) effectively. Bates has done a GREAT job with the Canadian draft.

I was hoping that we would either get Mike Gibson or Bates to coach our offensive line next season.

Tedford had the most success in California using a pro style offence (tight ends, fullback) and not the spread. He also had the most success when he called the plays and coached the quarterbacks there (when George Cortez was his offensive coordinator in California, Tedford called the plays in games). When Tedford went with more of a C.E.O. model in California, (aka Buono here) Tedford had much less success.

Perhaps Tedford plans to call the plays here next year and coach the quarterbacks and wants an offensive coordinator to implement Tedord's playbook at training camp and practices. We anticipated Cortez being hired. We don't know at this point but if we have Jones back as our offensive coordinator calling the plays, Dorazio back as offensive line coach, and Bates gone is not the scenario I could have ever imagined.

Hopefully this is not going to happen. :thdn: :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I'll be extremely pissed if we lose Kelly Bates who has impressed me, not with his work with the RBs but with the club's drafting since he took over (he's a great communicator too - I've enjoyed his interviewing of CIS draft prospects).

I will wait until it's official. Madani says he's out as RBs coach and draft coordinator. Could he actually getting promoted to O-line coach? :cr:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'll be extremely pissed if we lose Kelly Bates who has impressed me, not with his work with the RBs but with the club's drafting since he took over (he's a great communicator too - I've enjoyed his interviewing of CIS draft prospects).

I will wait until it's official. Madani says he's out as RBs coach and draft coordinator. Could he actually getting promoted to O-line coach? :cr:

DH :cool:
One can hope.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It's easy to critique Tedford re: Bates but lest we forget his task is to deal with the coaching staff which is to say the RBC part of KB's portfolio. The Draft Coordinator part would be on Buono's plate. At this early stage I don't think I'd take Bates leaving as assurance of a job for Dorazio. They could have someone else in mind for OLC. From Bates perspective would he stick around only as Draft Coordinator if there is no coaching role to help top up his salary? Could simply be a matter of the two sides not being able to come up with the right role and pay grade to keep him in the fold.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Its hard to make a definitive comment when we are only a partial way through the process, but WOW, what a mistake by Tedford starting his regime here...Bates DID a great job as the RB Coach because HE'S A GREAT COACH! Kelly is smart, a tireless worker, and a great communicator which means a ton...Dorazio mumbles, literally, it is hard to hear much of what DD says...and when its advanced Calculus OLine configurations that's a problem!!!

Kelly Bates SHOULD BE our next OLINE Coach...he has been patiently waiting and is going to be a great one...this move makes NO SENSE AT ALL unless it leads to his promotion. As for Draft Coordinator, what a blunder by Wally and Tedford. Benevides tenure in that role killed our supply of CDN talent and depth, Kelly Bates just filled it back up. He got us a CDN to START AT LT in Hunter Steward!!! Matt Norman as a rookie starting Guard in the 3rd round! Got Adekolu undrafted...the list goes on!

If the Lions dump Bates and keep Dorazio and McMann, my time with the Leos will be done!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I agree that Bates is well regarded but he was in a tough spot. RB coach when he was an offensive lineman. That role was a joke. Farhan got that right as did posters.

If Jones stays that might mean he was interviewed and his views are in synch with where the HC wants to go. I am sure he'd not dump on MB but it might be that there were views of the HC that limited them.

That is the Wally way... loyal to some, let good ones go if expedient to do so.

But maybe David is right. Are we jumping the gun here?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Spud387
Champion

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#BCLIons gm Wally Buono confirms Joe Poapao and Dan Dorazio are out.
12:10 PM - 31 Dec 2014
There ya go, Dorazio finally out as OL coach
JohnHenry
Champion

I doubt Dorazio or Bates will be unemployed for very long. Perhaps before we condemn the Lions or coach Tedford about some twitter rumours, let's hear both sides of the story and let the events unfold. For all we know Bates got a promotion and a huge raise with another club and the Lions couldn't match their offer. :ref:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
12 years of safety in the warm shelter of Wally's World. Best wishes to Dan Dorazio. Nobody works harder. :thup:

Best wishes to Joe PaoPao. One of the all time good guys. :thup:

Is Kelly Bates ticketed for Regina?

IMO OL coach should not be hard to fill with a solid, competent coach. Keep it simple. Physical. Well trained on the schemes. OL experience to the pro level would be a strong asset.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
Interestingly, I've seen no confirmation that Kelly Bates is out.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
Kelly Bates as OL coach? One can hope.

Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
Agree with WCJ, Bates to OL coach and the Lions have moved a step or two in the right direction. More interesting is all this Lions news when the office has usually shut down for the holidays in the past.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That things have moved quickly is not an overstatement. Basically 1 month after the Grey Cup and all this activity. Wowzers
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
That's it.... I'm renewing my season tickets