Kevin Glenn coming to Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

First off, good on Buono for waiting out the potential Glenn trade and getting the asking price to come down to what it became yesterday. Lions now have the best 1/2 combo at QB in the league but must also seeing it eat up at least $700,000-plus of their salary cap.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but Wally wasn't willing to outbid Hamilton for an impact Canadian safety in Craig Butler but will throw easily the 2nd highest salary on the team for back-up insurance. A steep price when you look at this team's weaknesses elsewhere including non-import talent.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:First off, good on Buono for waiting out the potential Glenn trade and getting the asking price to come down to what it became yesterday. Lions now have the best 1/2 combo at QB in the league but must also seeing it eat up at least $700,000-plus of their salary cap.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but Wally wasn't willing to outbid Hamilton for an impact Canadian safety in Craig Butler but will throw easily the 2nd highest salary on the team for back-up insurance. A steep price when you look at this team's weaknesses elsewhere including non-import talent.
Maybe if the Lions had outbid Hamilton for Butler then they might not have had the cap room for paying Glenn. It is possible that Glenn's contract pays him "backup money" for a base salary and then mo' money if he starts in which case his salary will not be that big of a burden.

In any event the Lions have gone from having a starting QB coming off surgery (and imo won't be 100% by the start of TC) with no backup with any on field CFL experience to now having the best backup QB in the CFL that everyone knows is really a second starting QB.

As I have previously stated, I hope the Lions make Glenn the starter to start the season and give Lulay more time to heal.
JohnHenry
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:First off, good on Buono for waiting out the potential Glenn trade and getting the asking price to come down to what it became yesterday. Lions now have the best 1/2 combo at QB in the league but must also seeing it eat up at least $700,000-plus of their salary cap.

It was reported Glenn has only $125k left on his 2014 contract after the RedBlacks paid an off-season bonus (which is less than the Lions were paying J. Jackson to be backup here.)

Trading for Glenn was a very smart move by the Lions. A CIS draft pick is a crap shoot. Kevin Glenn is the real thing. As promising as Beck, Jarrett and Hart have looked, they are still question marks at QB. If Travis were unable to play, the Lions season could be over playing those rookies. Glenn is a proven QB who can win CFL regular season and playoff games.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

donefron wrote:Grey Cup year Wally is going all in to win it at home, besides how many 1st rounders have we lost anyways.2010 Watkins left for NFL, 2013 Bo Lokombo trying to do same, 2006 Dean Valli kind of a bust, 2007 Adam Nicolson WR now in Ham, 2008 Justin Sorensen was a bust here, 2009 Jamall Lee retired too early to tell 2009 also gave us James Yurichuk who we lost to Argos but was a contributor in 2011 Cup run & Matt Carter who is now in OTT but never made it off PR here. Last few have been better in 2010 we got Marco Iannuzzi w/ 6th pick, Jabar Westerman in 2012 w/ 2nd pick & Kirby Fabien w/ 7th & 2013 pick Hunter Steward just signed so their record getting better but it is hit & miss. Probly better the sure thing of Glenn as backup to Travis as opposed to a guy we may never see play here
The Lion aren't alone in that.
Still with original draft team - 1 (Giguere - Hamilton)
Still in CFL with different team - 4
FA or Retired - 3
NFL - 0

Still with original draft team - 0
Still in CFL with different team - 4
FA or Retired - 4
NFL - 0

Still with original draft team - 3 (Williams - SSK, Maver - CGY, Matte - MTL) Note: Williams was reacquired)
Still in CFL with different team - 2
FA or Retired - 0
NFL - 2

Still with original draft team - 4 (Parker - CGY, Coehoorn - EDM, Iannuzzi - BCL, Holmes - TOR)
Still in CFL with different team - 2
FA or Retired - 1
NFL - 1

Still with original draft team - 5 (Heenan - SSK, Westerman - BCL, Pencer - WPG, Chambers - EDM, Fabien - BCL)
Still in CFL with different team - 1
FA or Retired - 0
NFL - 1

I didn't bother with 2013 as many players have yet to join their clubs out of college. Too early to know much. However the first 2 players taken are in the NFL.

So when you look at the previous 5 drafts 38 players were chosen in the 1st round. Of them only 13 remain with their original clubs including the recently reacquired Shomari Williams in Saskatchewan. Until yesterday Jon Gott would've been #14. Of the 12 as of this writing who have been with their draft team since drafted the Lions account for 3; EDM - 2; CGY - 2; SSK, WPG, MTL, HAM, TOR - 1 each.

Looking at the total drafts:
2008 - 48 players taken
Still with or property of original draft team - 5 (Lions have 2 of the 5)
Still in CFL with different team - 9
FA or Retired - 34
NFL - 0

2009 - 48 players taken
Still with or property of original draft team - 2
Still in CFL with different team - 10
FA or Retired - 36
NFL - 0

2010 - 47 players taken
Still with or property of original draft team - 13 (MTL has 4, BCL has 1)
Still in CFL with different team - 15
FA or Retired - 17
NFL - 2

2011 - 47 players taken
Still with or property of original draft team - 11
Still in CFL with different team - 14
FA or Retired - 16
NFL - 2
Listed as Prospect - 4

2012 - 45 players taken
Still with or property of original draft team - 25
Still in CFL with different team - 13
FA or Retired - 5
NFL - 2

I think what the above shows is just how fast turnover is across the CFL. It's only a matter of 4 or 5 years and you can count the number of players who remain with their original draft team on one hand.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

I feel good about the Glenn signing. We will now be solid at the most important position on the field, and I don't see any other CFL team that can make that claim--at this point (although I may be overlooking some team in this regard). In my view, this is far more important than drafting a rookie NI O-lineman, although the latter is still a priority. It's hard to see the wheels coming completely off this season with the 1-2 combo we now have in place at QB. And there's another possible (although remote) possibility connected to this signing. Suppose that one of the 3rd- or 4th-string Lions QBs comes on like gangbusters in TC and is shown to be clearly more-than-competent to QB the Lions. Then, we have a tremendous trade opportunity in Glenn with another team if that team's starting QB goes down at some point in the season--a trade that would likely land us a solid starting O or D lineman at least and maybe more. Add to this the fact that Glenn is very familiar with our new O coordinator, and the pickup makes even more sense. I would think that Glenn has another couple of years left--maybe three--so that we're OK for the near future at the key position. In my view, this was an extremely smart move by Wally.

The O line is still a concern, though. Assuming that our new import LT is solid, we'll be strong at the tackle position. Assuming that Fabien is back 100%, we'll be reasonable strong at one guard position and at center. We have 4 other guys (after Fabien and Norman) on the roster at guard: Thorn, Steward, Valli, and Kabongo (he's still listed). If either Thorn or Steward look strong at TC, we will have a decent (although not elite) O-line, with one of Steward or Thorn and Valli (and possibly Kabongo) as backups. In my view, this, along with the Glenn acquisition, is a better scenario than not having Glenn and having one more (more highly-rated, but untested) rookie NI guard.

In the final analysis, I think Wally did just fine....
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The move should only have been done if they have (ONE) serious concerns about Lulay's shoulder this season or moving forward, and (TWO) if they feel they have a team ready to win the Cup and can't risk not having an experienced QB. I can't tell you about the first one, but the 2nd one, I can...we don't have this team, and we needed to draft a top OL in the first round who could have contributed significantly this season.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Sammy, I read that the RedBlacks paid Glenn's $50k roster bonus, so there's apparently only $125k left on his contract for 2014 (plus starting bonus). I don't know what Buck would have been pulling in - it would have been less but not a lot less.

As for the #3 QB, it's going to be between Beck and Hart with Lee likely to be released. I want Beck to succeed as I really like his attitude. He's been working closely with Travis, came up here weeks prior to mini-camp, and even offered to throw at the club's FA camp in Vegas. However, I can't see them keeping a soon-to-be 33-year old as the 3rd pivot, which has traditionally been a developmental role. That said, Hart will have had to show improvement if he wants to stay.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:The move should only have been done if they have (ONE) serious concerns about Lulay's shoulder this season or moving forward, and (TWO) if they feel they have a team ready to win the Cup and can't risk not having an experienced QB. I can't tell you about the first one, but the 2nd one, I can...we don't have this team, and we needed to draft a top OL in the first round who could have contributed significantly this season.
OK. So who was it the Lions missed out on drafting yesterday that would've accomplished that?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:The move should only have been done if they have (ONE) serious concerns about Lulay's shoulder this season or moving forward, and (TWO) if they feel they have a team ready to win the Cup and can't risk not having an experienced QB. I can't tell you about the first one, but the 2nd one, I can...we don't have this team, and we needed to draft a top OL in the first round who could have contributed significantly this season.

I do not know if Lulay currently has any pain when throwing but I do know that scar tissue at the surgery site will take roughly 1.5 years to fully heal.

I also know that last season Mike Reilly was the only CFL QB to play all 18 games and he took a beating in some games that should have put him on the sidelines. So giving up what would have been likely a back up O-lineman in the draft and getting instead a QB who is really not a backup but in terms of CFL experience and performance is really a second starting QB, was a really good move by the Lions.

If you are still not convinced of Glenn's value then try considering the amount of up grade he represents over Steven (thank you very much for being a no show) Jyles. And to boot Glenn comes in at a very reasonable cap price because Ottawa has already paid him a bonus for 2014. :rockin:

The Lions have also signed OL Cody Husband who was cut by Hamilton (they had 9 NI OL on their roster). He has been on the Cats' roster for 3 years so maybe he is an upgrade over Vali as a backup.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks guys for the salary clarification. $125,000 for QB of Glenn's ability is a fricken steal especially when the draft has proven to be a crapshoot at best for the Lions over the years. Concerned with how shallow the Lions Canadian talent is these days but at least now I won't be worrying everyday with how Lulay's shoulder is holding up.

Even if he is healthy from week one I expect the Lions to do what Calgary has done the past couple of years and give Glenn plenty of playing time.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
OK. So who was it the Lions missed out on drafting yesterday that would've accomplished that?
Lavertu and Goosen were both considered pro-ready......Hufnagel had the balls to ensure he got one of them plus Quinn Smith.....we got a 34 year old backup QB.
Lloyd
South Pender
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Lavertu and Goosen were both considered pro-ready......Hufnagel had the balls to ensure he got one of them plus Quinn Smith.....we got a 34 year old backup QB.
Being pro-ready and being able to make real contribution are two different things. The 34-year-old backup QB may be called upon, at some point, to save the season, and he has the ability and experience to step up to the plate. CIS O-linemen--even the more highly-ranked ones--are a long way from making any contribution that comes close.
Qman
Champion

i'm not to worried about giving up the pick this year. Only the top couple guys are comparable to other years first rounders ... This years draft was a dud class since its the transition year to the new rules for picking red shirt NCAA guys (ie. half the guys usually available are not available to next year).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Lavertu and Goosen were both considered pro-ready......Hufnagel had the balls to ensure he got one of them plus Quinn Smith.....we got a 34 year old backup QB.
And they went 1-2 with the Lions picking 5th. What would it have cost to move up? Apparently they offered #5 and one of the seconds to Winnipeg for #2 and the Bombers weren't interested probably because they needed and wanted Goossen more than the Lions did. Just listening to Buono on Team1040. They did talk to Ottawa about moving up but what would that have taken? Given what the REDBLACKS acquired I'd guess Matt Norman would've been part of the asking price. They might've had to throw something else in. Let's face it Calgary had something Ottawa wanted to make the deal work for them. With Hage opting for retirement Ottawa was interested in acquiring a veteran centre who could start immediately. Calgary had that in Gott who at 28 is in his prime and a familiar commodity for HC Rick Campbell and OC Mike Gibson who was Gott's OL coach the past 3 seasons. Gott was also Calgary's starting centre in 2012. Calgary made the deal, not because Huf had balls, but rather because they had the depth and assets at Ottawa's position of need to make the deal. BC didn't.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed May 14, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnHenry
Champion

David wrote:

Sammy, I read that the RedBlacks paid Glenn's $50k roster bonus, so there's apparently only $125k left on his contract for 2014 (plus starting bonus). I don't know what Buck would have been pulling in - it would have been less but not a lot less.

As for the #3 QB, it's going to be between Beck and Hart with Lee likely to be released. I want Beck to succeed as I really like his attitude. He's been working closely with Travis, came up here weeks prior to mini-camp, and even offered to throw at the club's FA camp in Vegas. However, I can't see them keeping a soon-to-be 33-year old as the 3rd pivot, which has traditionally been a developmental role. That said, Hart will have had to show improvement if he wants to stay.

DH :cool:
I don't see Jarrett Lee listed in the Lions roster, which includes K. Glenn (2), Hart (1) and Beck (12).

The Lions offer to C. Butler was apparently higher than the Ticat offer he accepted (according to Drew Edward's Scratching Post blog). It used to be that players would accept less to play in Lotusland, but now many Ontario players seem to prefer the east. For example, accommodation in parts of S. Ontario is probably 1/3rd of what it would cost in Vancouver.