CFL: Rating the teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yeah, I see the same "tiers" as you do, but it still doesn't change the fact that any team in this league can beat any other on a given night, and that reality seems to get tighter every year. I agree that all teams, not just Hamilton, have to put together a TEAM in the offseason and let it develop...this revolving chairs, especially at crucial spots, simply doesn't work on a large scale.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Too early? Nah ... Coaches evaluate in the off season, after practice, and after games. There is a lot of tape out there. And we see two coaches looking to be struggling, Reed and Hawkins.

Ranking is tougher, but IMO it has some merit.

1 Riders ... As Durant goes, so go the Riders. Will the bubble burst?

2 Stamps ... Ahead of us because they beat us.

3 Lions ... Two strong performances in a row. Lulay and Harris. Stout D. Play like that, and they are #1.

4 Argos ... Problems on D. But they have Ricky and two Chads on O.

5 TiCats ... Austin is getting a lot out of Burris. No surprise.

6 Bombers ... 1 and 2 with Buck healthy. Took 6 sacks vs TiCats.

7 Als ... Disarray. Calvillo seemingly beside himself with frustration and anger. Hawkins yelling at the refs? LOL

8 Esks ... Kavis having a meltdown? Passion is good. Even anger can work. But extreme emotionalism ain't good in a coach, it seems to me. Anguish, upset and threats from the HC do nothing for a team. O Line and receivers unprepared.

Parity rules. And that is mostly a good thing.
Not much change it seems to me ...

1 Riders ... 4 and 0, clicking on all cylilnders. O, D, points for, points against, running, passing.

2 Stampeders ... They beat us last time.

3 Lions ... If we can beat Toronto again, that would be huge.

4 Argos ... Good test for us coming up.

5 - 8 Tossup for the 1 and 3 teams.

TiCats ... It seems to me Hamilton has a better chance to climb up than the other 1 and 3 teams because of Austin.

Bombers ... Dunno about this group. Burke hasn't shown he can be a CFL HC yet, it seems to me. Buck's health?

Als ... Are things going off the rails in Montreal? Can the coaches and players get it together in the new regime? Dunno about Hawkins.

Eskimos ... Talent-wise, they are pretty good, it seems to me. Coaching-wise, I would just have to ask: "What say you?"
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Surprising in one way. Three West teams near the top, one in the basement with the East division in the middle. IMO, the teams that could move a bit are the Esks/Ticats. IIRC, a couple of those Ticat losses could have gone the other way. And the Esks have nowhere to go BUT UP.

Some teams certainly seem more vulnerable. I mean the Stamps have lost their #1 QB and like last year, transferred seamlessly to Glenn. There have been some moments for the Argos where you wonder how they'll be if Ray or Kackert gets too dinged. The CFL ratings just seem a little EAST/WEST right now. Both of our next two games are versus East teams. In order to keep our #3 (I know it doesn't really matter one bit) we kinda have to beat both those teams below us (Bombers/Argos). I think we can but will we? Hope so..........
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

TiCats ... It seems to me Hamilton has a better chance to climb up than the other 1 and 3 teams because of Austin.

Bombers ... Dunno about this group. Burke hasn't shown he can be a CFL HC yet, it seems to me. Buck's health?

Als ... Are things going off the rails in Montreal? Can the coaches and players get it together in the new regime? Dunno about Hawkins.

Eskimos ... Talent-wise, they are pretty good, it seems to me. Coaching-wise, I would just have to ask: "What say you?"
You have more faith than me in Austin. He's had one winning season as a head coach at any level, and that was six years ago. The Ticats are undertaking a massive rebuilding job and are seriously lacking experience and talent on defence. On offence, Burris is a year older and less sharp, Williams is holding out, Fantuz is injured and the team has no running game. I'd rank them last and move the Bombers, Als and Esks up a notch. Winnipeg is at least playing well on one side of the ball.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

You have more faith than me in Austin. He's had one winning season as a head coach at any level, and that was six years ago. The Ticats are undertaking a massive rebuilding job and are seriously lacking experience and talent on defence. On offence, Burris is a year older and less sharp, Williams is holding out, Fantuz is injured and the team has no running game. I'd rank them last and move the Bombers, Als and Esks up a notch. Winnipeg is at least playing well on one side of the ball.
Yes, I may be thinking too highly of Kent Austin. Not sure. He looked good when the Riders won the Cup. Surprised at the TiCats results so far. But it is early. We will certainly be able to make a more informed assessment as time goes on.

And i didn't really expect this much from the Riders this year either.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

From what I've seen of Hamilton, they need more than Chris Williams to turn their fortune around.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Tier 1:
1) Riders - 4-0 and #1 until proven otherwise.

2) BC- The offense shows signs of heating up and the defense, in particular the back eight, is playing very well.

3) Calgyra- You could argue they're better than BC and I wouldn't have a strong counter. Then again, the Als, not world beaters, did walk onto their turf and light them up defensively early.

Tier 2:
4) Toronto - Losing ray and Kackert while trying to solidify a remade defensive line is going to be an adventure. But I like the coaching staff and I think after a bumpy patch here, they'll be fine.

Tier 3:
5) Edmonton - I still have them fifth because there is a lot of talent to be found on defense and at the offensive skill positions. I'm not a fan of the coaching staff and the offensive line has some experience issues that they need to work on. I still view them as a solid crossover candidate.

6) Montreal - I hate to say I told you so....that's a lie. I never hate to say I told you so. I thought the talent would overcome the clown show of a coaching staff. Thus far, it isn't looking like it.

7) Winnipeg - I'm not surprised at this either. Playing Montreal twice in the first three weeks will make your defense look much better than it is. Considering they can't block anyone and are down four receivers, what happened against Toronto was entirely predictable.

8) Hamilton - They walked into the season as a work in progress and, though there are pieces in place at the offensive skill positions, there isn't much redeemable on defense and this will be a long season for Kent Austin.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm not saying the Ticats are great but I don't think they are as bad as their record shows. Saving running plays for second and short does tend to cause some problems (as I've seen them do a few times). I think when it comes playoff time, there will be teams below the Ticats.....
Guess we'll see.
David
Team Captain

I am not seeing compelling evidence to suggest the Ti-Cats needed a coaching change. Sure, it's early, but it appears 'same old, same old' to me.

Perhaps a new D coordinator was in order, but I can't say the club looks any better with Kent Austin as Head Coach. Explain to me why, with speedsters Chevon Walker and Lindsey Lamar at running back, Austin had Burris hand off a grand total of 3x the whole game on Sunday. And half of the game was played against a strong wind! SMH. No wonder Burris was sacked 5x. There was no threat of a running game! Nobody was fooled on play action.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am not seeing compelling evidence to suggest the Ti-Cats needed a coaching change. Sure, it's early, but it appears 'same old, same old' to me.

Perhaps a new D coordinator was in order, but I can't say the club looks any better with Kent Austin as Head Coach. Explain to me why, with speedsters Chevon Walker and Lindsey Lamar at running back, Austin had Burris hand off a grand total of 3x the whole game on Sunday. And half of the game was played against a strong wind! SMH. No wonder Burris was sacked 5x. There was no threat of a running game! Nobody was fooled on play action.

You won't see a Kent Austin coached team running based on his history.

They have so many changes and rebuilding is definitely where they are at and they are finding their talent not yet up to speed.

I am surprised that people aren't ragging on Dan Hawkins more. He's sure looking the most shaky of all - turning HOF QB AC into an ordinary, struggling QB. When Hawkins was hired I thought he said they weren't changing the offense but they did - some NFL/US style short play yardage (Messam call) that is not used in the CFL shows despite all their CFL advisors these guys don't get it. NFL/US mindsets will get them fired.

Hawkins public statements are starting to make Kavis Reed look articulate.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Popp was quoted as saying that the next game is "must win game". I think the pressure is on Dan Hawkins to turn the ship around.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: I am surprised that people aren't ragging on Dan Hawkins more.
Pretty sure some of us got that out of our system before the season started. It would be just rubbing it in at this point. :cool:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
David wrote:I am not seeing compelling evidence to suggest the Ti-Cats needed a coaching change. Sure, it's early, but it appears 'same old, same old' to me.

They have so many changes and rebuilding is definitely where they are at and they are finding their talent not yet up to speed.

I am surprised that people aren't ragging on Dan Hawkins more. He's sure looking the most shaky of all - turning HOF QB AC into an ordinary, struggling QB. When Hawkins was hired I thought he said they weren't changing the offense but they did - some NFL/US style short play yardage (Messam call) that is not used in the CFL shows despite all their CFL advisors these guys don't get it. NFL/US mindsets will get them fired.

Someone on RiderFans referred to Hawkins as "Gary Busy". Kinda looks like Busy and is starting to act like Busy now as well. :tease:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Someone on RiderFans referred to Hawkins as "Gary Busy". Kinda looks like Busy and is starting to act like Busy now as well. :tease:
how is his buddy holly impression
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: Perhaps a new D coordinator was in order, but I can't say the club looks any better with Kent Austin as Head Coach. Explain to me why, with speedsters Chevon Walker and Lindsey Lamar at running back, Austin had Burris hand off a grand total of 3x the whole game on Sunday. And half of the game was played against a strong wind! SMH. No wonder Burris was sacked 5x. There was no threat of a running game! Nobody was fooled on play action.

how is his buddy holly impression
For his sake, hopefully better than his HC impression.
Entertainment value = an all time low