Team 1040 reporting Mitchell to Argos.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote: ...
It surprised me that a player would take to social media to express relief that a teammate has been traded. I think it underscores how polarizing Khalif was in the lockerroom.
I'm surprised too but I think its just a sign of the times. Based on the kinds of quotes he gives and what he does on the field...Harris is not the guy I'd think would be twitting (my name for tweeting something that IMO, is better off left unsaid).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mitchell had a lot to say about being traded, according to LU.
“I told Wally in his face that if he ever traded me you might as well get a new offensive line, because I’m going to go to a team that’s going to kill you,” Mitchell said after discussing the deal Tuesday with coach Mike Benevides.

If the 27-year-old tackle had his way he’d line up this year with the Calgary Stampeders, who the player claimed had interest in him. Instead he’ll complete the option year of his contract on a depleted Argos defensive front, and will supply an instant storyline for the Lions’ home season opener July 4 against Toronto.

“I don’t want to burn a bridge [in Toronto], but I’m trying to figure things out and ask for a release,” said Mitchell, who does not have an agent. “What gives [the Lions]the right [to make a trade]? What’s the purpose of calling it an option year? Just call it a we-own-you year. I’m trying to benefit so I can go and whip [B.C.’s] ass next year. If B.C. doesn’t want me, B.C. should just release me.

“I called Wally twice last week and he never returned [the calls]. We got the same owner [as Toronto]; was this some little under-the-table type thing? There’s a whole bunch of questions I got to ask.”

Harris also elaborated on his tweet.
“He wasn’t a very good team player,” Harris said when asked if his Twitter comment was directed at Mitchell. “It was always about Khalif.”
And it looks like Ben Archibald, not Paul McCallum, could be the next veteran to be sent packing if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Fascinating stuff all around.

B.C. Lions trade Khalif Mitchell to Argos without remorse
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Lions played their best football of the season during a pivotal 3 week stretch in October without Simon, Bruce and Mitchell. Now all 3 high-priced players are gone. Don't think that fact was lost on Wally at all.

Antics aside, Mitchell's overall play was a big disappointment last season. Rammer's right. His play during the 2nd half of the 2011 season was a huge part of the Lions run to the cup. But he only showed flashes of that form a year later and with a significant pay increase. If anything, I'm surprised Wally was able to move his contract.

Lions look like they want to shed more payroll too with Archibald now on the block.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:The Lions played their best football of the season during a pivotal 3 week stretch in October without Simon, Bruce and Mitchell. Now all 3 high-priced players are gone. Don't think that fact was lost on Wally at all.

Antics aside, Mitchell's overall play was a big disappointment last season. Rammer's right. His play during the 2nd half of the 2011 season was a huge part of the Lions run to the cup. But he only showed flashes of that form a year later and with a significant pay increase. If anything, I'm surprised Wally was able to move his contract.

Lions look like they want to shed more payroll too with Archibald now on the block.
Good point on the three game window that the Lions looked very good in. That run prompted me to create this thread...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26452&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bruce

While Mitchell wasn't included in the old four thread, Jordan's play made you think that Mitchell could become an SMS casualty. I do think that his remarks about destroying the Lions OL, could easily be a replay of his return to the lineup after the suspension when he ran over the Esks OL that he considered robbed him of game pay and put him out of action once again. Reid knows how physical he can play and said as much after the first practice with him on the other side of the line. Mitchell isn't exactly the type of player that you want to give incentive too, even though there wasn't another option in this case.

First game on the regular season may expose the Lions lack of depth on the OL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote: Andrew Harris ‏@andrewharris33
Good riddance!!!!
^ ^ ^
It surprised me that a player would take to social media to express relief that a teammate has been traded. I think it underscores how polarizing Khalif was in the lockerroom.

He's an enormous talent, I am not so sure we're better without him. I do like our talent and depth on the defensive line, but I question the wisdom of acquiring another D-lineman with our O-line concerns.

Still, the key to the deal is a defensive back that management have had their eye on for some time. Interesting comment from Wally in this article by Mike Beamish:
Buono said the negotiation list player the Lions received in the Mitchell trade is not a throw-in but a defensive back with some NFL experience. The Lions have been following him with interest for a couple of years and intend to have him at their upcoming free-agent camp in Atlanta.

“We need to get younger and better in the secondary,” Buono said
Perhaps some foreshadowing of more changes to come??

DH :cool:
It was no doubt a bit of both play and antics that led to this decision. I can't see how getting access to a DB on a Neg list is a big deal (unless they know the guy is wanting to play in the CFL.

As to a player twitting - good riddance - well that is the modern world. Basically it is best to not do that and take the high ground. Dante said he did as much as he could to get the player to focus on play and not all that other stuff. I don't view that as a negative.

The reality is that with a group of athletes as large as a football team with the added pressures of players on the PR wanting to play - not everyone is all buddy buddy no more than it is all buddy buddy in our workplaces.

Not even a team as small as a soccer team at an amateur level will have all pals in their sides but the best teams won't be at odds or battling with each other.
Few teams off field are that tight.

George Plimpton wrote about the Boston Bruins and how'd 5 guys would get into 3 cabs and head to the same spot for dinner vs. some NBA team where there'd be 15 guys and 15 cabs as they'd all be heading to different spots.

The old Whitecaps of the NASL were an on and off field solid group during the years of Tony Waiters and their championship. You'd see them all every kids game in town.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Mitchell had a lot to say about being traded, according to LU.
“I told Wally in his face that if he ever traded me you might as well get a new offensive line, because I’m going to go to a team that’s going to kill you,” Mitchell said after discussing the deal Tuesday with coach Mike Benevides.

If the 27-year-old tackle had his way he’d line up this year with the Calgary Stampeders, who the player claimed had interest in him. Instead he’ll complete the option year of his contract on a depleted Argos defensive front, and will supply an instant storyline for the Lions’ home season opener July 4 against Toronto.

“I don’t want to burn a bridge [in Toronto], but I’m trying to figure things out and ask for a release,” said Mitchell, who does not have an agent. “What gives [the Lions]the right [to make a trade]? What’s the purpose of calling it an option year? Just call it a we-own-you year. I’m trying to benefit so I can go and whip [B.C.’s] ass next year. If B.C. doesn’t want me, B.C. should just release me.

“I called Wally twice last week and he never returned [the calls]. We got the same owner [as Toronto]; was this some little under-the-table type thing? There’s a whole bunch of questions I got to ask.”

“He wasn’t a very good team player,” Harris said when asked if his Twitter comment was directed at Mitchell. “It was always about Khalif.”
And it looks like Ben Archibald, not Paul McCallum, could be the next veteran to be sent packing if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Fascinating stuff all around.

Wow, those are very bitter words. Mitchell should have known that football is a business. Lions have every right to trade him if they chooses. Argos are not usually a big draw but the return of Khalif Mitchell might change that.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I do wish Andrew had kept those thoughts to himself. There are some thoughts that are simply better not to express. The departure of a team mate no matter how much you may not like him should not be subject matter for twitter or any other public media other than to just take the high road, wish him success in his new role with a new team and leave it at that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Big Time
Champion

Mitchell's quotes just confirm for me that he's not smart enough to change his behavior. Asking about what right the Lions have to trade him? Is he serious? They can do whatever they want. Who cares if he's in an option year? The option is not to the player, but to the team! He can't really be so stupid as to not understand this, can he?

Going on to say he wants a release now from the Argos is hilarious too.

Harris is bang on. Good riddance.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Mitchell had a lot to say about being traded, according to LU.

:dizzy: Wally acted like your father when you were in trouble with the league.
Asking for his release from Toronto? He has already burned that bridge. :dizzy:

One can see why a guy with his talent had trouble in the NFL. They are oftentimes far less tolerant of personality quirks than the CFL.
Add paranoia to his list of perception problems.

I don't like to hear players bad mouth a teammate when he is gone, but Andrew Harris pretty much spoke the truth. I doubt if Khalif will be missed.

He is his own worst enemy.

I will be a bit surprised if Archibald returns this year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What Mitchell doesn't realize, along with a long list of other things, is that if the Lions had of released him instead of trading him, he likely would get offers for less $ than his current contract.

My hope was that Mitchell would grow and mature with the Lions, become more of a team guy, more respectful of others especially those have tried to help him. It is not going to happen with the Lions and likely not with any other team, Time will tell.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally elaborates on Mitchell's relationship with teammates and coaches in an interview with Mike Beamish:
“Good riddance!!!!” tweeted Lions running back Andrew Harris, an opinion that, while not universal among Mitchell’s former teammates, was at least shared by some.

“Somebody probably will say that about me when I leave, and probably it will be more than one,” chuckled Wally Buono, the Lions’ general manager. “I’ve always been very fond of Khalif, but I’m not going to say everybody feels the same. Some (players) enjoyed him. Some found him frustrating. That’s what makes him interesting. He’s not like a lot of people. He is who he is. You either love him. Or, you say, ‘good riddance.’ ”
“Toronto was interested in acquiring a quality defensive tackle after they lost Armstead to the NFL, and we were looking to shuffle the deck (on the defensive line),” Buono explained. “Khalif was the odd man out. We had the depth to do this, and Khalif needed a fresh start.”
Wally goes on to say that Keron Williams will be moved inside to Mitchell's spot, with former Eskimo Julius Williams taking over at rush end.
“Julius is a very good rush end, and we want to get Keron closer to the quarterback,” Buono said. “When you look at Eric Taylor and Khreem Smith and Jabar Westerman, we think our defensive line is a very formidable group.”
'Good riddance!!!!' — Lions trade Khalif Mitchell to Argonauts
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Mitchell's quotes just confirm for me that he's not smart enough to change his behavior. Asking about what right the Lions have to trade him? Is he serious? They can do whatever they want. Who cares if he's in an option year? The option is not to the player, but to the team! He can't really be so stupid as to not understand this, can he?

The article notes Mitchell has no agent (my memory is a little rusty — did he have one who dumped him after that ill-conceived tweet last year, possibly?), so these comments can probably be traced back to not having somebody to dispassionately explain the facts to him and not letting him go off half-cocked as he has done here. And publicly talking about Calgary must have their front office scratching their heads.

At the same time I had to frown on Harris's tweet. What did he have to gain from that? Is he trying to ingratiate himself with management/like-minded, more senior teammates or something?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Big Time wrote:Mitchell's quotes just confirm for me that he's not smart enough to change his behavior. Asking about what right the Lions have to trade him? Is he serious? They can do whatever they want. Who cares if he's in an option year? The option is not to the player, but to the team! He can't really be so stupid as to not understand this, can he?

The article notes Mitchell has no agent (my memory is a little rusty — did he have one who dumped him after that ill-conceived tweet last year, possibly?), so these comments can probably be traced back to not having somebody to dispassionately explain the facts to him and not letting him go off half-cocked as he has done here. And publicly talking about Calgary must have their front office scratching their heads.

At the same time I had to frown on Harris's tweet. What did he have to gain from that? Is he trying to ingratiate himself with management/like-minded, more senior teammates or something?
IIRC, his agent left him after he turned down the NFL offer. Wanting Calgary is to display that he wants to take it out on BC more often than a TO destination will afford him. I really thought that the Lions had a DT to dominate for years, how unfortunate for him and the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Do you think the club ever tried to get Khalif counselling or therapy (I am talking professional help here. Not 15 minutes in Wally''s office for some fatherly advise)? I think it's rather well documented that he has some mental health issues. I recall he even admitted late last season that he has ADD. It's all well and good to say 'good riddance' and that he was petulant, selfish etc, but did anyone ever reach out to get him the help that he clearly needs? Or did they just take the "3 strikes" approach with each incident (the arm bar, the supposed throat slash gesture, the racist tweet), decided that he didn't conform and never will and said, "to hell with it - let's trade him."

It was only about a year ago that he was "the man;" one of our key players (see below). To me, the whole thing is rather sad. Anyone who's met Khalif can attest to the fact that he's a good guy. :sigh:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Do you think the club ever tried to get Khalif counselling or therapy (I am talking professional help here. Not 15 minutes in Wally''s office for some fatherly advise)?
Put it this way I think teams probably do a lot more in that regard than would ever be made public. Certainly if they were to try doing so the efforts would be held in strictest confidence. Given the way Khalif refused to acknowledge doing anything wrong in the Rottier, throat slash or twitter transgressions I don't see him being willing to consider he has any issues that might benefit from counselling or therapy. They say you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. I'm not sure Khalif would allow himself to be led anywhere near the trough much less admit any thirst.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.