Lions get egg on their face re Foley - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I think Wally made a huge mistake by saying to Foley to talk to his family....to be sure.

It's not about Foley..its about our Leos and Foley had already verbally signed and said he was happy to return. Wally gave him an out....and he shouldn't have. Players get traded and have to go to teams that they would not rather play for.

Foley would have given his best here.....and I think Wally blew it...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

You cannot give an out after you have reached an offer and acceptance that both sides agree to.

Otherwise you are stuck right there, negotiating forever, without a deal. Such things happen.

Once a contract is agreed upon, there are no outs. It is a deal.

Wally had a deal, with no outs. He sent it into the league office, as a deal, which it was.

Later, he let Ricky out of the deal. That is another matter.

If Wally said: "Talk to your family, to be sure," that is an out. And if Wally did that, and it looks like he might have, he is a fool. That is not how you negotiate a contract. Giving outs after the agreement.
The_Pauser
Legend

Just to lighten the mood a little bit. I would like to congratulate David Braley for successfully outbidding himself and signing a very talented rush end to one of his teams.
Roar you Lions roar!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Just to lighten the mood a little bit. I would like to congratulate David Braley for successfully outbidding himself and signing a very talented rush end to one of his teams.
What the hell is you guys' problem? It's not like a contract is a contract.

Sincerely,

Scott Flory
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:You cannot give an out after you have reached an offer and acceptance that both sides agree to.

Otherwise you are stuck right there, negotiating forever, without a deal. Such things happen.

Once a contract is agreed upon, there are no outs. It is a deal.

Wally had a deal, with no outs. He sent it into the league office, as a deal, which it was.

Later, he let Ricky out of the deal. That is another matter.

If Wally said: "Talk to your family, to be sure," that is an out. And if Wally did that, he is a fool. That is not how you negotiate a contract.
Respectfully and completely disagree. We have the potential to go on a bit of a roll here. Potential I said. Why risk that with bringing in someone who wanted to be somewhere else? I don't think he stuck it to anyone; he just acted too quickly to start with and then when he changed his mind because he acted quickly now he looks bad. he will have to live with that, not Wally. Wally still has the guys here that want to be here. Let Foley waddle around the centre of the universe.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Before going on about verbal contracts you have to remember that this is a sports league. Verbal contracts don't mean a thing.

In order for a contract to be VALID (binding) it MUST be approved by the League first. Verbal contracts don't allow for that. Thus they are not binding nor enforceable. Otherwise a team could create a ridiculous offer (remember the late 80's and the spending free for all that nearly cost us our League?) and breakdown the integrity of the League and go against the CBA in every shape and form. I prefer it this way, where the League makes sure the contract fits first.

The Lions could possibly go after Foley for dealing in bad faith and they may be able to get some compensation from Foley for that - but only after a dragged out court battle where the only real winners are the lawyers.

What should happen is the League should fine Foley for his antics on this - his stating on the air he was coming to BC - as it was not in the best interests of the League. He made the League look bad and that is what should be fined.

We need to stop things like Scott Flory, Ed Hervey, and now Ricky Phoney (I like that one) from happening again without penalty.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Before going on about verbal contracts you have to remember that this is a sports league. Verbal contracts don't mean a thing.

In order for a contract to be VALID (binding) it MUST be approved by the League first. Verbal contracts don't allow for that. Thus they are not binding nor enforceable. Otherwise a team could create a ridiculous offer (remember the late 80's and the spending free for all that nearly cost us our League?) and breakdown the integrity of the League and go against the CBA in every shape and form. I prefer it this way, where the League makes sure the contract fits first.

The Lions could possibly go after Foley for dealing in bad faith and they may be able to get some compensation from Foley for that - but only after a dragged out court battle where the only real winners are the lawyers.

What should happen is the League should fine Foley for his antics on this - his stating on the air he was coming to BC - as it was not in the best interests of the League. He made the League look bad and that is what should be fined.

We need to stop things like Scott Flory, Ed Hervey, and now Ricky Phoney (I like that one) from happening again without penalty.
I think our owner should call their owner and.....................
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote: In order for a contract to be VALID (binding) it MUST be approved by the League first. Verbal contracts don't allow for that. Thus they are not binding nor enforceable. Otherwise a team could create a ridiculous offer (remember the late 80's and the spending free for all that nearly cost us our League?) and breakdown the integrity of the League and go against the CBA in every shape and form. I prefer it this way, where the League makes sure the contract fits first.
Yes. The approval of the higher authority. And that is something the team will get, unless they don't like the contract (qv the NHL and Kovalchuk).

I'm gonna give this a rest. I do think though that Ricky had some mischief in mind. I do not for one minute think this was a naive person simply changing his mind. And I refer to the comments of a supporter of Ricky who was very critical of Wally in the Butler Affair.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I don't get it. Foley said last night he was taking the lower offer from the Lions because he didn't care about the money, he knew he'd be "happy" to play in BC with his friends (who would give him hugs and kisses on his arrival, he said), in front the "greatest fans in the world". Then Wally says, OK, you've agreed to our contract offer, we've issued a press release confirming your signing, but think about to make sure you're happy playing here? Maybe Wally didn't really want him and was more worried about losing face by being fined for going over the salary cap? No wiggle room, as Wally put it??
Yup.

I have to ask also, did Wally really want Foley all that much?

Ricky we have a deal. But if you change your mind, I'll let you out.

LOL A huckster negotiating with a con man. Hilarious. Neither one negotiating in a straightforward manner. Ricky pretending he wants to come here. Wally pretending he wants him. LOL

He even said having him might "help a little bit." Faint praise.

It's very strange. I was chatting with WCBF today about how Wally seems to muddle through. Part of that has to be that he seems dumb sometimes when he is not being dumb. Other times, well, he is just dumb.

After all the chaos this year, including this Ricky Foley fiasco, the Lions are looking like a dangerous team.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I hope that call that Hunt made was collect
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:This is just horribly disappointing both for the team and its fans.

Ricky, if you read this, understand that a lot of people put you on a pedestal today. Many of us were thinking that it is so wonderful to have this individual who seems to be so sincere, and so real, decide to put this team and this community above the all mighty dollar. You had instantly become a BC hero to many of us.
I'm going to repeat myself:

Lionheart wrote:To thos
This is a really good story. Th He loves the city, THE FANS, the new dome coming up.. etc.

At least in this moment in time, I feel much better about being a Lions fan then most of the year. :beauty:

rickie, you just embarrassed ME

You embarrassed YOURSELF

You embarrassed your FAMILY

You embarrassed the Lions organization.

I feel like I've been hit in the face with a pie.

Watch your back playing the Lions, I hope you crash and burn.

F U
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
"...If I returned there (B.C.), it would have been for selfish reasons," said Foley in a statement. "I have a unique opportunity to play in front of my family and friends and play for my hometown Argos, and at the end of the day, my family comes first, so I'm very excited to help bring Toronto a Grey Cup."
YOu have got to be kidding?? What the *frig* does he think going to Seattle was??? Money.... what a complete idiot.
Ravi
Legend

Blitz wrote:We can only speculate. One question that i have, is that Foley already had stated that our Leos offer was less than Toronto's..so did Toronto sweeten the pot even more?
Jim Barker said today that only one offer was ever made to Foley. In other words, there was no "sweetening of the pot". Foley changed his mind for some reason and only he knows why. Interestingly, another Paul Sheehy client did the exact same thing to the Ottawa Renegades back in '05. That player was Ed Hervey.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
Blitz wrote:We can only speculate. One question that i have, is that Foley already had stated that our Leos offer was less than Toronto's..so did Toronto sweeten the pot even more?
Jim Barker said today that only one offer was ever made to Foley. In other words, there was no "sweetening of the pot". Foley changed his mind for some reason and only he knows why. Interestingly, another Paul Sheehy client did the exact same thing to the Ottawa Renegades back in '05. That player was Ed Hervey.
Should be a sign outside Paul Sheehy's door:

Caveat Emptor.

Let the buyer beware.

Ravi, I think you will love the way Ricky plays. Relentless. Fast. Very hard to block. Chases down quarterbacks and running backs with equal ferocity.