CBC Bonehead Identified

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Wasn't the lawsuit filed long before Moore was in place at CBC? Certainly the allegations leading to the lawsuit predate his tenure.
Exactly my point. Blaming Moore for all this is ridiculous.

In another news item this morning: "The CBC asks a third party to help negotiate for the rights to the Hockey Night In Canada Theme it lost after a deadline passed last week."

Does this sound like someone who WANTS to let the song go??
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Well, it's a done deal. CTV has acquired the exclusive rights to the theme. Let the speculation be done. 8)

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196&lid= ... Story_main
Real women wear orange!!
Bosco
Team Captain

Okaaay........ :i: . Didn't see that one coming.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's all water under the bridge now. CTV now have the rights.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/TVNews/ ... ong_ctv_AD
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:It's all water under the bridge now. CTV now have the rights.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/TVNews/ ... ong_ctv_AD
Whoa....it's like I've seen this post before..... 8)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15279&p=209265#p209265
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ooooooops ! :lol:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

"Da da da da da, da da da da da, da da da da duh, da da da da du DA DUH!"

Do I owe her 500 bucks now? 8)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

First they lose all 72 regular season CFL games which will air live on TSN, including exclusive coverage in Canada for the first time ever of both Labour Day Classics on Monday, September 1st and the Thanksgiving Day Classics on Monday, October 13th. TSN will also air, for the first time, all CFL Grey Cup Playoffs and the Grey Cup game. TSN.ca rights Grey Cup.

Now the rights to HNIC... :thdn:

What's next CBC???
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lets be clear, the only thing they lose is the song. It is still HNIC. Clearly the 3 million dollars was more of an inducement to the writer than the tradition of having it on the network that has been playing it for the last 40 years. I guess that is business. So for 3 million dollars, CTV has it in perpetuity. That is just peachy. I guess everything is about money these days. I hope that all the former parties feel so shame about this and how vulture like is CTV? When did the agreement expire. A week ago? They sure didn't let the grass grow under their feet!

Maybe it is just me but like or hate the song, it feels somehow lessened because of being caught up in all this big business money crap. I'm feeling a bit mean spirited tonight. Dolores Claman, the writer, did something that has become woven into the fabric of this nation and after 40 years, her and her representatives have taken that piece of Canadiana and flogged it off to the highest bidder. Somethings are more than just money.

She talks about the respect shown to her family from CTV during negotiations:

"CTV president Rick Brace said he called Copyright president John Ciccone on Friday after hearing of the trouble the two parties were having reaching an agreement."
Jessica McDiarmid, THE CANADIAN PRESS

How much respect can one show in only 3 days of contact? Cow Cookies.

Maybe Ms. Claman should be thinking about respect for tradition. I'm sure all the money that she has received over the years was received with great difficulty and shame. That this iconic piece of music is no longer owned by the writer or her family but a media network is a matter of great sadness. It gives one such a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that a private, media conglomerate now controls the fate of this piece of history. At least with the CBC, the public could bring pressure to bear as we witnessed this week when the stories began to circulate. No such hammer now. Lets hope that CTV doesn't get a 10 million dollar offer from the Russian Hockey Federation for their HNIK Broadcasts (Hockey Night in Kremlin).
Should I be surprised to find that Ms. Claman isn't even a resident in this country anymore?

Bravo Dolores Claman Bravo. Sleep well, I'm sure you can afford the very best.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Lets be clear, the only thing they lose is the song. It is still HNIC. Clearly the 3 million dollars was more of an inducement to the writer than the tradition of having it on the network that has been playing it for the last 30 years. I guess that is business. So for 3 million dollars, CTV has it in perpetuity. That is just peachy. I guess everything is about money these days. I hope that all the former parties feel a little sad about this and how vulture like is CTV in this. When did the agreement expire. A week ago? They sure didn't let the grass grow under their feet!

Maybe it is just me but like or hate the song, it feels somehow lessened because of being caught up in all this big business money crap. I'm feeling a bit mean spirited tonight. I hope she chokes on the money and moreso I hope she gets it handed to her in the "lawsuit".
but, what if CBC are the bad guys and the lawsuit is totally legit?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hear that CBC is thinking of using Stompin Tom Connor's "The Hockey Song"
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Lets be clear, the only thing they lose is the song. It is still HNIC. Clearly the 3 million dollars was more of an inducement to the writer than the tradition of having it on the network that has been playing it for the last 30 years. I guess that is business. So for 3 million dollars, CTV has it in perpetuity. That is just peachy. I guess everything is about money these days. I hope that all the former parties feel a little sad about this and how vulture like is CTV in this. When did the agreement expire. A week ago? They sure didn't let the grass grow under their feet!

Maybe it is just me but like or hate the song, it feels somehow lessened because of being caught up in all this big business money crap. I'm feeling a bit mean spirited tonight. I hope she chokes on the money and moreso I hope she gets it handed to her in the "lawsuit".
but, what if CBC are the bad guys and the lawsuit is totally legit?

I rephrased a bit but you got it first. Nevertheless, the CBC is state owned. If they get too stupid, then pressure can be brought to bear on them from the public. The speed at which this has all taken place suggests that this has been much longer in the works. Either that or they simply jumped at the first money that showed up. Its like getting married right after you get divorced. It seems tacky and certainly doesn't suggest any real regard for the tradition that has been created around this piece of music.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I hear that CBC is thinking of using Stompin Tom Connor's "The Hockey Song"
It is an idea that has some merit.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think they should use the lone ranger tune, with some clever animated hockey action to go along with it.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

or they could use the batman tv show tune with a clever mix of "pow, bam.." with animated hockey hits.