Report: Wake wants out of his contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:wow, could be interesting to see what happens. Especially since the report mentions loopholes. Would be a huge loss if goes. But can you really keeep a guy around who doesn't want to be in town is the other issue. Wake's NFL aspiration might outweigh the CFL contract he has puts Wally in a interesting dilemma especially if Wake tanks TC to get cut.
Can Wake afford to take a season off at this point? That is a two way street, and not an easy decision by him, if Wally was to take it to the limit.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I find myself wondering how much integrity there is in the lions lockerroom these days.

You all seem to be supporting this lack of integrity. I dont get it???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Tighthead
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I find myself wondering how much integrity there is in the lions lockerroom these days.

If his contract allows him an out how is that in any way a lack of integrity?
Big Time
Champion

Does the NFL not have some rules that prohibit teams from talking to players from other leagues who are under contract?

Also, is it even possible that an NFL team could compensate a CFL team financially for taking one of their players, as was alluded to with the CP/Medlock circus from an earlier post?
Rammer
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:Does the NFL not have some rules that prohibit teams from talking to players from other leagues who are under contract?

Also, is it even possible that an NFL team could compensate a CFL team financially for taking one of their players, as was alluded to with the CP/Medlock circus from an earlier post?
You would have to have the entire league onside with this, as the Lions would technically have to place Wake on waivers and he then would have to go unclaimed, much like Merv Fernandez was back in the day as IR.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I find myself wondering how much integrity there is in the lions lockerroom these days.

you give your word, make a commitment, verbal or written, you stick to it, regardless of any "loopholes" Thats called integrity. Failure to do so equals lack of integrity.
Tighthead
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

you give your word, make a commitment, verbal or written, you stick to it, regardless of any "loopholes" Thats called integrity. Failure to do so equals lack of integrity.
Who determines what is a loophole? Both parties agreed to it.

He is living up to his contract. That is his committment. Any extraneous terms you put on it as to integrity are frankly ridiculous. As far as we know he is sticking to his contract, so I assume you are saluting his integrity?
Zarquon
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

You mean like Kent Austin or even Kerry Joseph wanting more money and requesting to be traded?
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Zarquon
Champion

Well if Wake does go it will be interesting to see if Rickey Foley can step up. He was supposedly the air-apparent to Wilson and was barely beaten out of the starting job by Wake last year.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
MisterJones
Rookie

Zarquon wrote:You mean like Kent Austin or even Kerry Joseph wanting more money and requesting to be traded?
I thought I heard Austin actually took quite a paycut to go to Ole Miss over Tillman's last offer to him.
lion24
Legend

Zarquon wrote:Well if Wake does go it will be interesting to see if Rickey Foley can step up. He was supposedly the air-apparent to Wilson and was barely beaten out of the starting job by Wake last year.

I think he would definitely be fired up and ready to go. As much as I would hate to lose Wake I think we all knew this was coming eventually and I would be interested to see how Foley does. The thing that bothers me is the impact of the Jiminez, Boden and Wake situations going into the season?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MisterJones wrote:
Hambone wrote:
If I know Wally the only negotiating that will happen this year will be to sign Wake to an extension.
That isn't going to happen. The reason this is happening is because Wake wants to go to the NFL now so why would he extend in the CFL? He wants out.
That was my point. Wake won't get out of his deal unless through litigation/arbitration. There will be no negotiations period, with the only possible exception being towards an extension. Aside from litigation/aribitration the only way I can see Wake getting out from under the contract is if he sweet-talked Wally into releasing him. In that scenario 7 other CFL GMs would immediately line up for the waiver claim and Wake would still not be eligible to sign an NFL deal.

Also if Buono was to release him prior to the option year window in 2009 and he didn't make the NFL the Lions would no longer own his rights. He'd be free to sign with anyone upon his return to the CFL.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Big Time wrote:Does the NFL not have some rules that prohibit teams from talking to players from other leagues who are under contract?

From the NFL CBA:

ARTICLE XXXII
OTHER PROVISIONS

Section 1. CFL Rule: No Club may sign any player who in the same year has been under contract to a Canadian Football League (“CFL”) club at the end of that CFL club’s season (regular season or postseason, whichever is applicable).

As Wake is under contract to the Lions for 2008 & 2009 this would apply with the exception of the CFL's Option Year agreement which is covered in the CFL CBA. In other words the NFL honours standard CFL contracts until they expire on February 15 following the final term with the exception of the Option Year Clause.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Zarquon wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
You mean like Kent Austin or even Kerry Joseph wanting more money and requesting to be traded?
there is a difference between, Hey wally I would like to be traded if its ok with you, and, Hey wally, I think I found a way out of our contract and if so, then I am leaving whether you and the lions like it or not.
pennw
Legend

Ok knowitall (not) , just how does this translate into " you all seem to support this lack of integrity" ?