More details on the move to Empire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

WHEN do they start work at Empire stadium?
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:WHEN do they start work at Empire stadium?
Hi Dale If and when they start its after the Olympics are finished. Not much of a window to put up a temporary stadium. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Hi Dale If and when they start its after the Olympics are finished. Not much of a window to put up a temporary stadium. BB
Why the delay? Is there are anything going on there through the Olympics that would preclude setting up until then? Is there a manpower issue (i.e. Olympics consuming most available labour)? Or is it simply the case that they don't really need more than 3.5–4 months to get it all ready?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Robbie wrote:Two previous examples state otherwise.

For most Lion fans, the most exciting non-championship season would be 1991 with attendance often exceeding 40,000+ but was the team winning much? A 11-7 is not terrible but considering the team was only 4-5 at home and a third place finish caused by an embarrassing loss to the worst team in the league the regular season finale plus a terrible defence, I wouldn't say the team was winning much at all. And yet, Vancouverites attended Lions games despite a losing record at home.

I for one would prefer the highly underrated season of 1999 in which the Lions led the west division throughout the season and finished first in the west for the first time in 12 years to host a playoff game. And yet, typical home attendance in 1999 was often less than 20,000 even though the club finished with a respectable 13-5 season and first in the west since 1987.
Interesting! The 1991 season was before I started following football. My comments were based on my observations over the last 6 years I have been attending, which saw a sharp growth, a levelling-off at 31 to 34,000 for 4 years, and then a decline last year. It's the casual fans who jumped ship last year that prompted my comments. I appreciate your historical perspective, though. (By the way, I see the 'average' over 55 years is 27,652, and from '83-'08 is 29,498.)

So, what do you think is the factor driving gate fluctuations, if not the fortunes of the team on-field? I ask that in all seriousness, since comparing performance to attendance it does seem a little random.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Ballistic Bob
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Why the delay? Is there are anything going on there through the Olympics that would preclude setting up until then? Is there a manpower issue (i.e. Olympics consuming most available labour)? Or is it simply the case that they don't really need more than 3.5–4 months to get it all ready?
For what its worth I heard its a security issue having big trucks coming in out of Vancouver during that 3 to 4 week shut down and then maybe the temporay seating the Olympics are using for their events. BB
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Any delay seems nuts and unnecessary. Are they expecting to put up a stadium in 3 months?

It's not like all construction is going to shut down across the lower mainland until March.
Spud387
Champion

Blue In BC wrote:Any delay seems nuts and unnecessary. Are they expecting to put up a stadium in 3 months?

It's not like all construction is going to shut down across the lower mainland until March.
The PNE grounds is involved in the Olympics, Tempire would site next to the PNE grounds, the reasons would be security and not wanting the world to see this messy construction right next to an Olympic Venue.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:[
Why the delay? Is there are anything going on there through the Olympics that would preclude setting up until then?
No doubt it's too keep the roads open. Why have big trucks needing lanes to load up the material? I think they'd like to keep government construction jobs quiet then.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I'm envisioning Porta Pottie's. Mr Tube concessions and $10 warm beer sold after sitting in the sun for 3 hours before the game.

No replay screen and bench seats.

At least the view will be nice.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

May I top up your beer Dale? Your mug seems half empty. I've got a cold pitcher... :beer:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:May I top up your beer Dale? Your mug seems half empty. I've got a cold pitcher... :beer:
I've long been a supporter of an outdoor stadium so I'm actually looking forward to the return to Empire Stadium site. However, I find the " security issues " that caused delays to updating BCP and the temporary site, over the top.

The road closures and other business's impacted in the downtown core and elsewhere are extreme. The fact they have to spend an additional multi million dollars for a temp stadium instead of having done the work at BCP two years ago, is not all that impressive from a planning point of view.

Remember my post if the temp stadium is not ready at the beginning of the season. Bring beer though.

:) :)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
Robbie wrote:Two previous examples state otherwise.

For most Lion fans, the most exciting non-championship season would be 1991 with attendance often exceeding 40,000+ but was the team winning much? A 11-7 is not terrible but considering the team was only 4-5 at home and a third place finish caused by an embarrassing loss to the worst team in the league the regular season finale plus a terrible defence, I wouldn't say the team was winning much at all. And yet, Vancouverites attended Lions games despite a losing record at home.

I for one would prefer the highly underrated season of 1999 in which the Lions led the west division throughout the season and finished first in the west for the first time in 12 years to host a playoff game. And yet, typical home attendance in 1999 was often less than 20,000 even though the club finished with a respectable 13-5 season and first in the west since 1987.
Interesting! The 1991 season was before I started following football. My comments were based on my observations over the last 6 years I have been attending, which saw a sharp growth, a levelling-off at 31 to 34,000 for 4 years, and then a decline last year. It's the casual fans who jumped ship last year that prompted my comments. I appreciate your historical perspective, though. (By the way, I see the 'average' over 55 years is 27,652, and from '83-'08 is 29,498.)

So, what do you think is the factor driving gate fluctuations, if not the fortunes of the team on-field? I ask that in all seriousness, since comparing performance to attendance it does seem a little random.
Perhaps it goes back to the old say about while it's the defence that wins games, it's the offence that brings tickets.

Check out what I wrote on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15991
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Robbie wrote:Check out what I wrote on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15991
Wow - and I thought I had too much free time!!

Seriously, though, that is some intense analysis. Thanks for that!
:good:
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
David
Team Captain

If this cluster**fudge** is allowed to fester, without a confirmed location by January or a contruction schedule in place, I can see us playing on the road for the first several games of the season - meaning for the first time in years we will be playing more home games after Labour Day than before. :bang:

This City Council has no clue. From continuing the Burrard Bridge bike lane experiment without a proper consultation process to closing the Bloedel Conservatory and Stanley Park petting zoo, to tearing down venerable old Maxine's Hideaway on Bidwell street to put up ANOTHER CONDO(!), these people need to be tossed. Literally. :thdn:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

David wrote:If this cluster**fudge** is allowed to fester, without a confirmed location by January or a contruction schedule in place, I can see us playing on the road for the first several games of the season - meaning for the first time in years we will be playing more home games after Labour Day than before. :bang:

This City Council has no clue. From continuing the Burrard Bridge bike lane experiment without a proper consultation process to closing the Bloedel Conservatory and Stanley Park petting zoo, to tearing down venerable old Maxine's Hideaway on Bidwell street to put up ANOTHER CONDO(!), these people need to be tossed. Literally. :thdn:

DH
Just ask Greg Kerfoot how long this council takes to make a decision. BB