More details on the move to Empire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

With this being a one season hit, it is going to be like one or the other.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

That's what scares me. The "or the other" is a very real possibility.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Lionheart wrote:So you decided to renew today too?
Nope, I'm going to wait for them to call me.
I expect their season ticket base to plummet this year with many sitting on the fence unsure what the experience will be in a temporary stadium (never mind the still for certain site) and not willing to commit to 10 games right now. I do expect it to be a huge hit, however, with casual fans looking to take in 2 or 3 games, especially in the summer months with most games selling out.

The threat of losing your location at BC Place by not renewing doesn't have significant weight when you have a 60,000 seat stadium to sell.

The stadium situation will be a good excuse but there are also many like Lionheart with a bad taste in their mouths from three ugly losses at home, never mind what happened on the road and the playoffs too.

There just seems to be plenty of reasons to take a "wait and see" approach to 2010.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:There just seems to be plenty of reasons to take a "wait and see" approach to 2010.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why real CFL fans look down their noses at Vancouverites. "We're not winning! Screw this, I'm outta here!" If all fans were like this, Hamilton would have folded years ago.

This is an 8-team league, for heaven's sake. Four of the teams are going to be below average. This year it happened to be us. However, you are not actually obliged to jump off the bandwagon. You could believe that the team is trying to improve, and stick with them.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Spud387
Champion

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:There just seems to be plenty of reasons to take a "wait and see" approach to 2010.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why real CFL fans look down their noses at Vancouverites. "We're not winning! Screw this, I'm outta here!" If all fans were like this, Hamilton would have folded years ago.

This is an 8-team league, for heaven's sake. Four of the teams are going to be below average. This year it happened to be us. However, you are not actually obliged to jump off the bandwagon. You could believe that the team is trying to improve, and stick with them.
I renewed the moment I could... I can't believe some people here are thinking about it because of what the stadium might be like. If you have kids and might not be able to physically get to where it will be I can understand... but just based on the stadium itself?? come on...
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why real CFL fans look down their noses at Vancouverites.
I find this comment ignorant and offensive.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

spud, others. just to clarify my thoughts on this in case of confusion..

spud I don't think you included me in that comment but if you've read many previous posts you know the stadium is not an issue with me. I know we don't need to get into the "dome/outdoor" stadium debate again but in the past I would ultimately vote for dome. However loving variety in my life and usually never *beeotch* about life (insert joke here) I'm looking forward to the Tempire. I"m with David on this.. this is gonna be cool.. different/un-boring. The nice days will be awesome.. I"m also the only one that said he'd walk from Renfrew station.

Where my real thoughts of not renewing come from were nailed by SammyGreene. I didn't get as much as a little smidge of response that our problems will be looked at. After a few weeks went by this only grew to frustration. As a REAL fan becoming a casual for a year and not having to subsidize two seats while up in paradise would be a way to express my displeasure.

I could go on but we've all heard it before. Having said that I did not respond in the "scapegoat" thread because I know it's not fair so early in the offseason to make any comments like that.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:spud, others. just to clarify my thoughts on this in case of confusion..

spud I don't think you included me in that comment but if you've read many previous posts you know the stadium is not an issue with me. I know we don't need to get into the "dome/outdoor" stadium debate again but in the past I would ultimately vote for dome. However loving variety in my life and usually never *beeotch* about life (insert joke here) I'm looking forward to the Tempire. I"m with David on this.. this is gonna be cool.. different/un-boring. The nice days will be awesome.. I"m also the only one that said he'd walk from Renfrew station.

Where my real thoughts of not renewing come from were nailed by SammyGreene. I didn't get as much as a little smidge of response that our problems will be looked at. After a few weeks went by this only grew to frustration. As a REAL fan becoming a casual for a year and not having to subsidize two seats while up in paradise would be a way to express my displeasure.

I could go on but we've all heard it before. Having said that I did not respond in the "scapegoat" thread because I know it's not fair so early in the offseason to make any comments like that.
Good post. Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on looking forward to one season at Tempire while preferring a dome in general.

I like to analyze the team's performance and engage in debate and criticism but I don't base my renewal decisions on the team's record or prospects for the coming season or its management and coaching decisions. I love football and wouldn't miss a game if I could help it. I supported the Lions for decades without seeing a home playoff game. Fans in other cities and other sports stand by their teams for decades without ever sharing in a championship. I understand and respect their loyalty. Lions fans have been spoiled for the past decade.
Last edited by B.C.FAN on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:I like to analyze the team's performance and engage in debate and criticism but I don't base my renewal decisions on the team's record or prospects for the coming season or its management and coaching decisions. I love football and wouldn't miss a game if I could help it. I supported the Lions for decades without seeing a home playoff game. Fans in other cities and other sports stand by their teams for decades without ever sharing in a chanpionship. I understand and respect their loyalty. Lions fans have been spoiled for the past decade.
:whs:

Hear, hear! Exactly what I was thinking, albeit phrased more elegantly.

And I'll stand by my comments, Lionheart. It seems like Vancouverites can be discouraged from attending a Lions game by a stiff breeze or a bad hair day. I may be getting crotchety, but I just hate hate hate hearing people bail on the team when the chips are down. ("Offensive"? Really? Good thing you didn't diss the Clash or Battlestar Galactica, 'cuz then I'd REALLY have unloaded!)
:wink:
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Being of the younger generation of Lions fans, and having had a taste of outdoor football, I'm actually looking forward to next season, all other factors nothwithstanding. Then again, being a born and bred Vancouverite, I'll be packing my Goretex jacket and my shades at all times.

I'm sure there's plenty in my age bracket or younger than me that have never experienced outdoor football. If it weren't for next season, I'd be looking for an excuse to head back to Hamilton and Ivor Wynne Stadium.
Spud387
Champion

Lionheart wrote:spud, others. just to clarify my thoughts on this in case of confusion..

I didn't really mean to direct it at anyone, just saying that, as we are all die hard lions fans here... we have had a bunch of good seasons, 1 mediocre... i don't see why someone would want to not renew? I can understand if getting to Tempire is really hard and why then someone might not renew, but to me, having a temporary feeling stadium and a team that had 1 mediocre season should not warrant not renewing. to me at least...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:

Let me first start off by saying we renewed our 4 tickets and are looking forward to the outdoor experience.

The Lions season ticket base dipped this past season and their average attendance dropped by over 6,000 per game. A number of season ticket holders in our section weren't back this year and that was coming off a season (2008) that ended a few yards short of getting to the Grey Cup.
So what is the response going to be when the team's performance went further south (including three home blowouts that saw the bulk of the fans gone by the start of the 4th quarter) in 2009 and the stadium situation still being rather unclear? For example, four people sitting next to us are taking a pass on "Tempire" but will be back in 2011.

The Lions season ticket base maxed out this decade at about 24,000 but how many of those are going to keeping renewing regardless of how the team plays? My guess is more like 16,000 or 17,000 which is at least an improvement on the late 1990s. You just have to look at what happen to the attendance in the 1980s to see a similar ebb and flow.

Are there a lot of fair weather football fans in Vancouver? Absolutely and it's been that way for much of the Lions existence. That's what my post was based on.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:Are there a lot of fair weather football fans in Vancouver? Absolutely and it's been that way for much of the Lions existence. That's what my post was based on.
Fair enough! That's a pretty shrewd analysis. If you can and have bought a ticket, criticize away! You've earned it.

But I reserve the right to throw figurative brickbats at that fair weather demographic. I won't give up hoping we can change that culture, especially now that the league is healthier than ever. And if a "fan" stays away in some misguided protest over coaching or personnel decisions (rather than because of health or money issues, for instance), he immediately loses my sympathy. That sort of negativism can have a snowball effect, as your history shows, and I don't want to see it happen again.
Rammer
Team Captain

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Are there a lot of fair weather football fans in Vancouver? Absolutely and it's been that way for much of the Lions existence. That's what my post was based on.
Fair enough! That's a pretty shrewd analysis. If you can and have bought a ticket, criticize away! You've earned it.

But I reserve the right to throw figurative brickbats at that fair weather demographic. I won't give up hoping we can change that culture, especially now that the league is healthier than ever. And if a "fan" stays away in some misguided protest over coaching or personnel decisions (rather than because of health or money issues, for instance), he immediately loses my sympathy. That sort of negativism can have a snowball effect, as your history shows, and I don't want to see it happen again.
While it does have a snowball effect, it is up to the club to rectify that from gaining momentum. Lions dropped up to 4K in ST holders last season, don't expect that base to increase as the move to Tempire won't increase the that base, and the amount of times I sat without coming close to my $200 - $300 spent on game night money's worth. In fact, I would dare say that the Lions couldn't have paid me that much to sit and watch the Stamps, Bombers and Eskimo's to watch, had I been given Nostradamus predictions of the events of those particular games results and efforts. The season that was will factor into the equation, but I suspect sunny days will draw a great walk up crowd, mediocre weather won't, and how the Lions are playing will always be a factor in the number of fans in the stands, regardless.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why real CFL fans look down their noses at Vancouverites. "We're not winning! Screw this, I'm outta here!" If all fans were like this, Hamilton would have folded years ago.
Two previous examples state otherwise.

For most Lion fans, the most exciting non-championship season would be 1991 with attendance often exceeding 40,000+ but was the team winning much? A 11-7 is not terrible but considering the team was only 4-5 at home and a third place finish caused by an embarrassing loss to the worst team in the league the regular season finale plus a terrible defence, I wouldn't say the team was winning much at all. And yet, Vancouverites attended Lions games despite a losing record at home.

I for one would prefer the highly underrated season of 1999 in which the Lions led the west division throughout the season and finished first in the west for the first time in 12 years to host a playoff game. And yet, typical home attendance in 1999 was often less than 20,000 even though the club finished with a respectable 13-5 season and first in the west since 1987.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。