RedBlacks @ Lions -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

When our running game got off to a good start this season and Andrew Harris was also effective out of the backfield, many of us anticipated that the opposition would begin to stack the box and key Harris. We also knew that our passing attack was dismal, making it easier for defenses to stack the box. They have.

They also saw our tendency to hand off the ball to Harris on first down and run the football inside. Our offence, both in the running game and the passing game does not attack defenses horitzontally.

The way to counter it was to go play action on first down and when successful and established, then come back to the run game on first down. Calgary uses that approach at times. But we haven't done that or done it successfully.

In his past four starts, Harris has rushed for 36 yards (eight carries), 10 yards (eight carries), 65 yards (21 carries) and four yards (three carries). That is the worst four game stretch for our running attack in the Buono era.

One of the major problems with the spread offence is that it is restricted (with only five offensive linemen and the receivers spread out) in its ability to attack the perimeter with the running game. With a fullback or tight end that becomes easier.

However, there are ways in a spread offence to run the football outside. A slotback can be brought in motion and seal the defensive end. A guard can be pulled for a pitch toss. The fly sweep is an attempt to do stretch the defense. The reverse and the screen pass can do that. The zone read play attempts to put the defensive end on a bubble. The quarterback shovel pass also attempts to do that.

But the passing attack also needs to stretch a defense horizontally as well. That can be done in numerous ways from quarterback sprint out plays and semi-rolls to wide throws and crossing patterns.

The problem is that our offence not only wants to run the football inside but it also wants to pass the football inside with vertical patterns. Therefore, we keep everything in the box that opposition defenses wants us to. In other words, our offence is playing right into the defenses hands.

The problem with the passing attack ofChapBall, from 2005-2006 and 2009-2010) was that it was too horizontal focused. Defenses blitzed, knowing they would not get burned with underneath stuff. We corrected that in 2011-2012 with more vertical patterns and created a very good balanced mix of horizontal patterns that stretched a defense both wide and deep.

Last season, under Khari Jones, we did not attack the outside in the passing attack (very slot back oriented) and this season, we are far too vertical and inside the numbers in our passing attack. We are also too pocket oriented.

Defenses are basically cheating against us. They are willing to put extra players in the box because they are unafraid of our passing attack and they know if they stack the box they can shut down Harris with extra defenders. All it leads to is frustration for Harris, our offensive line, our recievers, and our quarterbacks.

If we introduced more motion and misdirection and began to stretch the field horizontally with running plays and passing plays off play action, it would force defenses to quit stacking the box. Then we could come back to Harris and run effectively. Using a speed back in a rotation would also help.

Unfortunately Cortez seems stuck. Its not that our offensive line can't open holes but they can't run block extra defenders who know the run is coming. Its not that our offensive line can't pass block effectively but they can't pass block extra defenders.

Therefore, its not a personell problem - its a scheme and play calling problem. Until we recognize that and make changes, its going to continue to be frustrating for our offensive players.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish has written about the addition of Chris Rainey and Eric Fraser, with quotes from Jeff Tedford and Andrew Harris about the running game.
Rainey is likely to see his role expanded this week to pick up the Lions’ rushing attack, which charitably might be described as lagging. On seven rushing attempts against the Redblacks, the Lions had nine yards, most of them coming on a five-yard run by their quarterback.

“He (Rainey) lined up there (running back) for five or eight plays,” said head coach Jeff Tedford. “Hopefully, as we keep going, we can increase the package for him.”

Rainey could be vital in taking some of the burden and focus from Andrew Harris, the feature back whose best deke Sunday was bolting from the locker-room without a shower or interview. He had three yards on four yards and fumbled at the Lions’ four-yard line, which ended up costing his team a field goal.

“I just had to get out of there,” Harris explained Monday. “For me, in that situation, I just needed to cool off. I wasn’t being selfish. I wasn’t pissed off (not getting the ball). I was just frustrated. I’m a competitor. I play to win on every snap. When things aren’t going right, and you’re confused about what’s going on, it’s definitely frustrating.”
Some good news on the horizon: Tommie Draheim is expected to resume pracising this week and be back at left tackle next week against Edmonton. Harris averaged 86.5 yards rushing in the first six games with Draheim healthy, and 28.5 yards in the four games since.

Vancouver Sun article
peeby
Starter

Yes, that is good news about Draheim coming back. My understanding is that Bo Lokombo will take Hoffman-Ellis's spot, and they'll simply move Aladanoye over to play beside Olafioye. Make the right side of the line a 'Fioye Bros' sort of thing. The addition of a fourth American on the line can only make it that much better than the 3 American line.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:. It's not allowed in some places like say North Korea , Communist China or the former USSR.
So even those places have/had an upside!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

peeby wrote:Yes, that is good news about Draheim coming back. My understanding is that Bo Lokombo will take Hoffman-Ellis's spot, and they'll simply move Aladanoye over to play beside Olafioye. Make the right side of the line a 'Fioye Bros' sort of thing. The addition of a fourth American on the line can only make it that much better than the 3 American line.

Incredible, four Imports on the OLine for this week. Our Offence had better have a great game!

What a tribute to the GM that in week 12 of the season we have 4 imports starting on the OLine. This is what happens when you consistently fail at the draft.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:
peeby wrote:Yes, that is good news about Draheim coming back. My understanding is that Bo Lokombo will take Hoffman-Ellis's spot, and they'll simply move Aladanoye over to play beside Olafioye. Make the right side of the line a 'Fioye Bros' sort of thing. The addition of a fourth American on the line can only make it that much better than the 3 American line.

Incredible, four Imports on the OLine for this week. Our Offence had better have a great game!

What a tribute to the GM that in week 12 of the season we have 4 imports starting on the OLine. This is what happens when you consistently fail at the draft.

In fairness the drafting of Bo Lokombo is not a fail, it was a gamble that has paid off and I am glad that he is finally getting to start and not just be a relief guy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: Incredible, four Imports on the OLine for this week. Our Offence had better have a great game!

New concept in the CFL. All Import O Line. :dizzy: OK, it is "just" four.

14 years of Dan Dorazio squandering talent and draft choices. Zero development. Zero building. A wasteland. And he had help of course. Who can claim credit for our brain dead drafting?

Gotta laugh a little bit. But it is a head shaking kind of laughter. Foxhole humour. Gallows humour?

How have we screwed up? Let us count the ways. Nah ... too dreary. Too tough for some.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Imagine Buono wanted to start an all Canadian offensive line.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Is it just me or did Kelly Bates do a really good job in drafting for the Lions??? Why did we let him go?
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Is it just me or did Kelly Bates do a really good job in drafting for the Lions??? Why did we let him go?
Not so sure. One notion was that we could spread the great coaching talents of Chuck McMann further by having him take over the draft and coach the running game as well. More bang for the buck or rather no bang but at least three duties for the same buck, who cares about results.

A second reason given was that they needed to reduce a coach in order to hire an assistant defensive backfield coach who would also do quality control as well as have a quality control offensive assistant as well....all that quality control isn't bringing quality so far. :bang:

I hope it works out for the best for Kelly Bates. Jarious Jackson and Barrin Miles left on their own accord and their careers will probably be better off for it in the longer term.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Is it just me or did Kelly Bates do a really good job in drafting for the Lions??? Why did we let him go?
Not so sure. One notion was that we could spread the great coaching talents of Chuck McMann further by having him take over the draft and coach the running game as well. More bang for the buck or rather no bang but at least three duties for the same buck, who cares about results.

A second reason given was that they needed to reduce a coach in order to hire an assistant defensive backfield coach who would also do quality control as well as have a quality control offensive assistant as well....all that quality control isn't bringing quality so far. :bang:

I hope it works out for the best for Kelly Bates. Jarious Jackson and Barrin Miles left on their own accord and their careers will probably be better off for it in the longer term.

I thought I read somewhere that the coaching budget couldn't accommodate both Bates and Tedford's son as Quality Control video guy. But I don't see anyone with a Tedford last name on the Lions Staff from their website. What is Bates doing now?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

As Jim Mullin could tell you, Kelly Bates is Head Coach of the Simon Fraser University Clansmen.

http://athletics.sfu.ca/schedule.aspx?p ... =football2

He's trying to reestablish the credibility of the program that Jacque C escaped from to go to the Riders. SFU is in tough to recruit as it is and JC quitting after one year didn't help.

Lost to Western Oregon 31-14 in their first game.

Next game at Swanguard

Joe Paopao is OC and my former classmate Dennis Kelly is Associate OC. Joe is living at Kato's according to the Sun.
http://athletics.sfu.ca/roster.aspx?pat ... hes_anchor

Azusa Pacific University (Calif.)
6PM

Azusa Pacific University (Calif.)

http://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2015/2/27/ ... h=football
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Blitz wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that the coaching budget couldn't accommodate both Bates and Tedford's son as Quality Control video guy. But I don't see anyone with a Tedford last name on the Lions Staff from their website. What is Bates doing now?
Willie Fields was hired as assistant defensive backfield coach and Quinn Tedford was hired as an assistant receivers coach. Both do 'quality control" as well. These two assistants are paying huge dividends. :wink:
zeppo
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:What's this talk about Buono and religion ? I have never heard or read anywhere with the exception of this forum that coaches are hired and kept on because of their religious leanings.
I didn't ever say or suggest that. Not sure others are saying that either - no post I read here has EVER said that.

There is one regular poster who has stated , on multiple occasions, his belief that Wally has favoured employees who share his
evangelical Christian faith.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

zeppo wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:What's this talk about Buono and religion ? I have never heard or read anywhere with the exception of this forum that coaches are hired and kept on because of their religious leanings.
I didn't ever say or suggest that. Not sure others are saying that either - no post I read here has EVER said that.

There is one regular poster who has stated , on multiple occasions, his belief that Wally has favoured employees who share his
evangelical Christian faith.
I didn't see it quite that way but there were stories in the papers in the Wally era that said there was a bit of a religious divide (2007ish). But thee reality is that Wally would cut his grandma if he felt it would improve his team or release her at year end if grandma's contract called for a huge bonus during the off season. His view is that his loyalty has to be to the club doing well and winning is essential.

As Angus Reid said: Wally told the team a lot that 'you get paid to win' and that he can find hundreds of guys who will come in and just make the effort. As a coach I took over two losing teams and turned both around to be champions because the club gave me two years or gone. The first team was 0 and 18 the prior year. I got them to 9-5-4 or something that season and the 1/4 final of a cup playoff using their players mostly. I was confronted early on abt loyalty from this guy now not starting. I said: "if we were 0 and 6 like you guys were last year and not 2 and 4 - who would be loyal to me? No one." "I keep coaching if we keep winning."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy