NFL road rocky for Rourke after Patriots draft QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:22 pm
The Al bot weighs in on Nathan - interestin' and funny stuff.

Wonder if the Al bot has any comprehension of how former star CFL QBs have done with real playing time in the NFL: Joe Theissmann, Warren Moon, Dieter Brock, Jeff Garcia ?

Nathan's CFL resume is of course vastly inferior to any and all big Div I program NFL draft pick QB saviors. Any bot can grasp this. :hypno: :rotf:
Its not just the AI bots that think high draft pick Div 1 QBs are superior, it is the NFL talent evaluators who think that as well.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:59 pm
OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:22 pm
The Al bot weighs in on Nathan - interestin' and funny stuff.

Wonder if the Al bot has any comprehension of how former star CFL QBs have done with real playing time in the NFL: Joe Theissmann, Warren Moon, Dieter Brock, Jeff Garcia ?

Nathan's CFL resume is of course vastly inferior to any and all big Div I program NFL draft pick QB saviors. Any bot can grasp this. :hypno: :rotf:
Its not just the AI bots that think high draft pick Div 1 QBs are superior, it is the NFL talent evaluators who think that as well.

Oh for sure; and inscrutable geniuses everyone of them; any QB expert would take Ryan Leaf over Warren Moon every time. :roll: :ref:
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Warren Moon is not a good example because it was not so much a lack of talent evaluation it was a racist attitude at the time that was a strike against black QBs in the NFL. You could say that at the time it was a belief among many that the black QBs could not command the respect and leadership that a QB needed...still racist, though.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:43 am
Warren Moon is not a good example because it was not so much a lack of talent evaluation it was a racist attitude at the time that was a strike against black QBs in the NFL. You could say that at the time it was a belief among many that the black QBs could not command the respect and leadership that a QB needed...still racist, though.

Substitute Jeff Garcia for Moon then.

And kinda interesting how a similar dismissive, ignorant attitude towards Canadian QBs (especially U Sports trained ones) still exists in the CFL - maybe as strong as ever; yet the NFL has long lost their bias & prejudice towards black QBs - which was racist and ugly; but the CFL's version can be excused because it's not based on something as pernicious as racism; just a kind of xenophobia ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:02 am
Patriots waive Rourke :
https://3downnation.com/2024/05/06/new- ... an-rourke/
Well, it will be interesting to see if he clears waivers. If he does, then likely he will be released. Can't see too much interest this soon after the draft has been completed. If he runs out of options, he would be a free agent for CFL teams.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:40 am
Can't see too much interest this soon after the draft has been completed. If he runs out of options, he would be a free agent for CFL teams.
Hamilton, Montreal or Ottawa?
don corleone
All Star

cromartie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 am
You forgot to mention the other six teams. I believe every team would be in given the opportunity.

Is Rourke exempt from being added to a neg list?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

squishy35 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Patriots waive Rourke :
Well, it will be interesting to see if he clears waivers. If he does, then likely he will be released. Can't see too much interest this soon after the draft has been completed. If he runs out of options, he would be a free agent for CFL teams.
I've been going thru the rosters, UDFA signings and mini-camp invitees for all NFL clubs. 16 QBs were signed to UDFA deals and another 12 landed mini-camp invites. I come up with 4 teams who could have interest.

One team quickly jumps out as having possible interest and that is the Carolina Panthers. Currently they list last year's 1st overall pick Bryce Young followed by 36 year old Andy Dalton who's on the final year of a 2 year deal and UDFA signing Jack Plummer. They can do with another QB for camp and also should be looking at someone to compete with Dalton or at least be ready to take over as #2 in 2025.

The Rams could have interest too. They have 36 year old Matthew Stafford followed by Jimmy Garopollo (on a 1 year deal) and two 2nd year players in 5'11 190 Stetson Bennett and Dresser Winn, like Rourke a 2023 UDFA signing.

49ers have Brock Purdy followed by vets Josh Dobbs and Brandon Allen who joined the 49ers (his 5th team) for 2023 but never played a snap, Dobbs and Allen are on one year deals. They also have mini-camp invitee Mitch Davidson of Youngstown State.

Down I-5 the Seahawks have 33 year old Geno Smith and dealt for 23 year old Sam Howell who had some decent moments in Washington. Who knows how Smith will fare with the new regime. Beyond those two they have UDFA signing Chevron Cordeiro and mini-camp invitees Kory Curtis and Tua Tagovailoa's kid brother Taulia.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I feel badly for Rourke. Probablly has more talent than half the starters in the NFL (he engineered 5 TD drives on 9 drives in preseason for the Jags). I believe he was given bad advice, going into a situation with Trevor Lawrence as the franchise QB and Beathard the established #2 (it probably should have been someone like the NY Giants or Las Vegas Raiders).

Getting waived in May is not ideal. As attractive as he is for the CFL, the rosters are largely set. How does a club clear $600K in cap space now? But all of that is likely moot as I do see him holding out for an NFL club to sign him, making this his last shot for now.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
don corleone
All Star

I agree Rourke is likely to stick to the NFL for now.

Alternatively he could be taking snaps and making new film in a months time vs waiting for a chance to be a backup. CFL money's not that bad. Life is short. Playing careers are shorter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 am
I feel badly for Rourke. Probablly has more talent than half the starters in the NFL (he engineered 5 TD drives on 9 drives in preseason for the Jags). I believe he was given bad advice, going into a situation with Trevor Lawrence as the franchise QB and Beathard the established #2 (it probably should have been someone like the NY Giants or Las Vegas Raiders).

Getting waived in May is not ideal. As attractive as he is for the CFL, the rosters are largely set. How does a club clear $600K in cap space now? But all of that is likely moot as I do see him holding out for an NFL club to sign him, making this his last shot for now.

DH :cool:
Getting waived in May may not be ideal but better than June, July or August. Since he signed in Jacksonville he's had little control over his NFL lot. Until NE waived him today they had total control over his rights. The reality is at the end of the season he automatically became an ERFA. NE didn't have to offer him a new contract until March. As most teams would do to protect their assets the Pats did tender him that offer probably to buy them time to see what happened in the draft and beyond. While it was a lock they'd take QB at #3 it was a surprise they'd take another later in the draft. Whether that 2nd QB was a draft priority or they thought Milton had too much promise to pass on in the 6th only the Pats know for sure. That made one of Rourke or Zappe expendable.

I think that outside of NE not tendering him an ERFA offer allowing him to become a FA back on March 13th this is the next best time to become a FA. A lot of teams who might feel good about their #1 and #2 might look at Rourke as an upgrade on their UDFA signings and mini-camp invitees. Many teams might look at him as being a strong competitor for their #3 spot. Best thing going for him is while rookie mini-camps are mostly over but main mini-camps are still to happen. After assessing rookie mini-camp performances some teams might find themselves looking to upgrade on the lower part of their depth charts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:00 am
squishy35 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Patriots waive Rourke :
I've been going thru the rosters, UDFA signings and mini-camp invitees for all NFL clubs. 16 QBs were signed to UDFA deals and another 12 landed mini-camp invites. I come up with 4 teams who could have interest.

One team quickly jumps out as having possible interest and that is the Carolina Panthers. Currently they list last year's 1st overall pick Bryce Young followed by 36 year old Andy Dalton who's on the final year of a 2 year deal and UDFA signing Jack Plummer. They can do with another QB for camp and also should be looking at someone to compete with Dalton or at least be ready to take over as #2 in 2025.

The Rams could have interest too. They have 36 year old Matthew Stafford followed by Jimmy Garopollo (on a 1 year deal) and two 2nd year players in 5'11 190 Stetson Bennett and Dresser Winn, like Rourke a 2023 UDFA signing.

49ers have Brock Purdy followed by vets Josh Dobbs and Brandon Allen who joined the 49ers (his 5th team) for 2023 but never played a snap, Dobbs and Allen are on one year deals. They also have mini-camp invitee Mitch Davidson of Youngstown State.

Down I-5 the Seahawks have 33 year old Geno Smith and dealt for 23 year old Sam Howell who had some decent moments in Washington. Who knows how Smith will fare with the new regime. Beyond those two they have UDFA signing Chevron Cordeiro and mini-camp invitees Kory Curtis and Tua Tagovailoa's kid brother Taulia.

I feel bad for Nathan Rourke but he's in it for the long haul it seems and we may hear a lot of these twists and turns than actual very good news.

Any comparisons of Nathan Rourke to CFL QBs going south like Moon or Garcia aren't warranted as both these two played in the CFL a lot longer and Moon was wanted by Hugh Campbell IIRC. The only short term CFL QB I can think would be Casey Printers.

Good analysis of teams that Rourke might have a chance with.

Seahawks also added this QB as UDFA signing who may not the arm consistency that Rourke has.
The Seahawks announced 16 undrafted free agent signings as they kicked off their rookie minicamp on Friday. Quarterback Chevan Cordeiro is among the players who are joining the team. Cordeiro started 25 games for San Jose State over the last two years and he also started 23 games at Hawaii before transferring.
San Jose State quarterback Chevan Cordeiro, the Mountain West Conference's all-time leader in total touchdowns, total yards and completions
Cordeiro is not as polished as Rourke as a passer. His NFL draft film:

Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon May 06, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How about these teams for Rourke:

1. New York Giants: The Giants have a need for a developmental quarterback behind Daniel Jones. Rourke could learn from Jones and compete for the backup role.

2. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks have Geno Smith and Drew Lock as their top two quarterbacks, but neither has proven to be a long-term solution. Rourke could provide competition and potentially develop into a starter in the future.

3. Washington Commanders: The Commanders have Carson Wentz as their starting quarterback, but he has a history of injuries and inconsistent play. Rourke could provide depth and potentially compete for the starting job.

4. Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons have Marcus Mariota and Desmond Ridder as their quarterbacks, but both are relatively unproven. Rourke could add depth and competition to the position.

5. Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have Matt Ryan as their starting quarterback, but he is 37 years old and may not have much time left. Rourke could be groomed as his eventual successor.

These are just a few potential fits for Nathan Rourke, but ultimately, the best team for him will depend on his individual development and the specific needs and circumstances of each team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 am
squishy35 wrote:
Can't see too much interest this soon after the draft has been completed. If he runs out of options, he would be a free agent for CFL teams.
The only teams that are set at QB for the foreseeable future are BC, Winnipeg and maybe Montreal (and Toronto, if they can put Kelly's harrassment case behind him). Harris, Bethel-Thompson and Mitchell don't have much of a future, Maier isn't convincing anyone beside Dickenson, and Ottawa is full of question marks as usual. He could drop right into starting position with half a dozen teams in the league.