Thoughts on getting Stanback?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

A few days after his acquisition, I'm a little surprised not to see some speculation on getting Stanback from the Als - especially given the long volumes justifiably written here about the puff-ball running game.
He is definitely coming here with a something-to-prove chip on his shoulder as he feels badly treated in Montreal. so hopefully that translates into a "man on a mission" attitude for the season, especially if any o-line upgrades can help during 2024.
It is also notable that VA did a big selling job to help get his former teammate to come to the coast.
At 29, and with the inevitable wear and tear from the mileage, one wonders how effective he may actually be at finally giving the Lions a reasonable chance at winning games in those frozen tundra conditions of the CFL playoffs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Stanback at half speed is still better than Mizzell at full speed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Stanback showed in the Grey Cup that he still has great speed. VA respects him as a vet who knows what to do and where to be. Most importantly, he has the power to pick up tough yards after contact. At 185 pounds, Mizzell is too light to be an every-down back. Stanback is listed at 233, which is the size of an NFL power back. Size matters at that position.
maxlion
Legend

I agree with everything BC FAN said. The only caveat is that Stanback might be most effective in a platoon type situation, rather than expecting him to carry the whole load by himself all year long. In any case, the signing is a signal that the team will be more dedicated to establishing a more balanced offense this year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wrote in another thread that I much prefer the Lions landing Stanback at a Cap friendly price vs overspending on Brady Oliveria, which almost happened.

At 6' and 233lbs Stanback should be a real asset in short yardage situations. Since the Lions don't appear to have a decent short yardage QB, I wonder if when they need 1 yard or less, they can line Stanback up under centre instead of using a short yardage QB?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like the signing of Stanback but I don't like the lack of structure in the BC run game (if you could actually call it a run game).
He's a great runner healthy and gets big yards from not just one type of run play.

I just think that BC needs to look at what the top teams in the CFL like the Bombers do or it's all down to big play VA and the passing game.

If he was disappointed in Montreal which he was, he might find it hard to get the kind of traction he can get a team if restricted to a few predictable plays. He was definitely unleashed when it counted in Montreal. There were other things going on in that offence and no doubt they wanted to keep Fletcher happy. Unlike Calgary who will find a way to keep two good RBs happy, that wasn't I assume in their plans.

The Als made it clear that 1 of 3 RBs wouldn't stick with them in the new year and money was an issue, but likely not the full issue.

You didn't always see Walter Fletcher last year either so they must think he and some young, cheaper RBs can carry the load.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/2024/0 ... year-deal/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As much as there's talk like Calgary tandemed up Carey and Mills the fact is the only time it's happened in the past two years was when Logan wasn't playing. First time was in the first game of 2022 when then raw rookie Peyton Logan was on the PR. 2nd time was when Logan was injured late in 2022. I think it happened 5 times this year all when Logan again was out for injury.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

As someone who was underwhelmed by Mizzell but doesn't necessarily believe in spending a great deal of money on the RB position, this signing is the best of both worlds to me, with the inherent confidence the QB has in Stanback as a bonus. Though I do share the requisite skepticism that the offense will place any more of an emphasis on the run game this year than they have in previous seasons.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the signing of Stanback as well as the earlier attempt to sign Oliveira are pretty strong indicators that the Lions intend to have a more balanced attack in 2024. Part of getting Stanback to sign on surely involved convincing him that he will play a prominent role in the 0, which means more running plays in 2024.
OV:54-40
Starter

Stanback IMO is a potentially huge addition: IF he is still healthy and close to best CFL form (seemed like it late last season), and IF the Lions offence becomes more committed to a run game. The 2nd is the bigger IF - grasp what the Bombers & Argos have been able to do with big power backs ( Oliveira & Ouellette) getting lots of work.

Agreed, it would be a good idea to have another change of pace RB to go with him - like the Als did with both Antwi & Fletcher. Maybe a new import back addition; or I'd look at maybe drafting Alberta RB Matt Peterson, off a superb U Sports rushing season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is it just me or are others having trouble connecting to the site at times?

I don't put the blame on Tiquan Mizzell for the run game. It's on the coaches, their philosophy and run playbook.

Last season Brady Oliviera ran for 1,540 yards with a 5.9 yds per carry average. That means they can run when they want and when they need to in WPG and use multiple runners not just Brady O.

BC Lions ran for 1400 yards on 298 rushing attempts the lowest number in the CFL IF I got those stats right.

Mizzell ran for 773 yds on 198 carries for 4.7 yd team average. Adams had a 48 yd run as did Mizzel.

It's the packages and predictability that keep Smoke from catching fire.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Bottom line is that it isn't the scatback types that are doing the real damage in the running games these days. It is the big bruising backs that like to lay a beating on would be tacklers. Stanback is more of the latter and although injury has slowed him down, it was just a few short seasons ago, he was a league rushing leader contender. I would rather have him than the fare we were treated to last season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:00 pm
Yes, keeps asking me to log in or register.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
I get that too but my main issue is ERROR 500 where I can't log in.

Stanback is a RB who can attack a defense from multiple points and get the extra yards.
Yes, the scatbacks aren't your CFL leaders these days given the quality of defences and where teams are paying for top talent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Having to log in constantly has been an issue on my Samsung A71 phone for several months. Seems whenever I close Lionbackers I have to log in next time I open it. When I fill in my user name and password site logs me in before I even get a chance to check "remember me" or tap the log in button. It hasn't been an issue on my Surface tablet or my laptop back home. Been getting that 500 error too but thought it might be related to weaker WiFi connections down here in Mexico.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.