What the 2026 World Cup means for the Leos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Lots of time to plan, but the club will be without a home for a long stretch of the 2026 season (Vancouver was selected as a Host City for the 2026 FIFA World Cup of soccer that runs from June 8 to July 3).

It likely means an extended road trip and no home preseason game. But there is a remote chance we could see a permanent grass field surface as a legacy of the tournament (doubtful as BC Place is a multi-purpose facility).

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... ll-in-2026

Somewhat related, in a recent radio interview, Omar Doman talked about the future of their practice facility in Surrey, noting that the land value has increased immensely in recent years (which I took to mean "higher rents") and he admits that the facility is dated and not a selling feature for free agents. He predicted a new practice field complex (location unknown) to be announced within the next 5 years. I would imagine the new President will be responsible for reporting into Mr. Doman some options.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The 2015 Women’s World Cup demonstrated that B.C. has no suitable facility to host Lions games when B.C. Place is unavailable. The team played its home preseason game at Thunderbird Stadium that year, drawing an announced crowd of about 6,000. Kamloops, Kelowna and Victoria have been mentioned as possible sites for a preseason game. Starlight Stadium in Langford might be the most suitable facility, with about 4,500 permanent seats unless the proposed 6,000-8,000-seat soccer stadium in Langley materializes by then, but Langford is in an inconvenient location for team travel unless the Lions hold training camp on the Island. The team’s training camp contract with the City of Kamloops expires after 2023. That’s another issue for the new team president to tackle.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

No preseason would be no skin off my butt because I never attend. Could even be a bonus if I don't have to pay to not use the ticket. Otherwise I suspect a 3 road games + bye start to the season for both them and the Argos. Bigger question might what happens if Ambrosie makes his fantasy of starting the season up to a month earlier come true before 2026? Would they revert to mid June start or might they even go a bit later to reduce the impact? If not that could lead to the Lions and Argos spending the first 6 to 8 weeks on the road.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:06 pm
The 2015 Women’s World Cup demonstrated that B.C. has no suitable facility to host Lions games when B.C. Place is unavailable. The team played its home preseason game at Thunderbird Stadium that year, drawing an announced crowd of about 6,000. Kamloops, Kelowna and Victoria have been mentioned as possible sites for a preseason game. Starlight Stadium in Langford might be the most suitable facility, with about 4,500 permanent seats unless the proposed 6,000-8,000-seat soccer stadium in Langley materializes by then, but Langford is in an inconvenient location for team travel unless the Lions hold training camp on the Island. The team’s training camp contract with the City of Kamloops expires after 2023. That’s another issue for the new team president to tackle.
Other things could complicate some of that. FiFA also will want to secure home bases for all 48 competing teams as well as practice facilities. One would think places like thoae you mentioned will be on the radar for some participating countries. The things that make TRU attractibe to the Lions for training camp could also make it attractive for FIFA if the turf isn't a show stopper.
ziggy
Legend

Starlight Stadium has had a plan to expand seating to 10,000. Langfords Mayor has been pushing this for sometime and he tends to get things done. Not sure though if or when it’s scheduled to happen.
dtrain
Starter

What about the possibility of reviving Empire Field?
That would be awesome to have another half season there, turned out pretty well last time ;)
David
Team Captain

dtrain wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:01 pm
That would be awesome to have another half season there, turned out pretty well last time ;)
Yes, I initially thought about that, how it might make sense to build a pre-fab facility somewhere on the LM for the Leos and Whitecaps for which they could split the cost (with PavCo sharing in the expense as they're kicking out two of their primary tenants to make all of that revenue?).

However, it won't be a long enough displacement for the Leos (to make sense) unless Ambosie moves the season back by a month or so by 2026. Also, I foresee MLS having some kind of break or hiatus so it won't really be of benefit to the Caps to split the cost (Empire Field was built for $14.4M).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:10 pm
dtrain wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:01 pm
Yes, I initially thought about that, how it might make sense to build a pre-fab facility somewhere on the LM for the Leos and Whitecaps for which they could split the cost (with PavCo sharing in the expense as they're kicking out two of their primary tenants to make all of that revenue?).

However, it won't be a long enough displacement for the Leos (to make sense) unless Ambosie moves the season back by a month or so by 2026. Also, I foresee MLS having some kind of break or hiatus so it won't really be of benefit to the Caps to split the cost (Empire Field was built for $14.4M).

At best lions will have to move 1-2 home games to later in year … probably start on the road first 4 games ( 3 if they have a bye).

My guess they will play the pre season game at UBC again … no one goes to preseason any more anyways (except super keeners)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The 2026 World Cup schedule has been released, with five group matches scheduled for B.C. Place between June 13 and 26, as well as one in the round of 32 on July 2 and one in the round of 16 on July 9. Depending on how long it would take to convert B.C. Place from soccer to football, the Lions could be away for the preseason and the first five or six weeks of the regular season.

World Cup 26 match schedule
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Probably can expect first 4 on the road and a bye mixed in the middle, maybe even 2 byes. Argos will be in the same boat.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:29 pm
Probably can expect first 4 on the road and a bye mixed in the middle, maybe even 2 byes. Argos will be in the same boat.
Yes, unless the Lions want to schedule the preseason game and one early regular season game in Victoria. I just hope they don’t move training camp to the Island as well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:29 pm
Yes, unless the Lions want to schedule the preseason game and one early regular season game in Victoria. I just hope they don’t move training camp to the Island as well.
Entirely possible they go to Vic or even T-Bird Stadium for preseason as they did during the Women's WC. I'm OK with that especially if it means not having to spend ST money for a game I'd never watch. I'm also hoping TC remains in Kamloops at least as long as I'm living in PG.