Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:06 am
Hearing Jordan Ta'amu will not be playing in the UFL. Wondering if he might not be a fit for Lion's #2.
Ta'amu was on the Riders list of 10 neg list players released in September. He wasn't on the December release but neither were the other 9 listed in September. There's no way of knowing if it's a case of he's no longer on their list or they just chose to release the names of a different 10 players.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:06 am
Hearing Jordan Ta'amu will not be playing in the UFL. Wondering if he might not be a fit for Lion's #2.
Ta’amu was on Saskatchewan’s neg list as of last September.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:35 am

100% respect your position on the matter.

In rebuttal I might say that other sports and leagues have found ways to deal with some of the issues you raise. I will stand by my position that eliminating underperforming executives would improve the quality of the game over time.

I'm a bit old skool and prefer a nod and a handshake to any agreement I make and truthfully have had a hard time in the past with rules that apply to me but not to others. I just think the CFL could do better in handling the relationship with the players that would reflect in a more positive manner with the fan base that in return would benefit the league. The ingredients are there imo.

Win / Win / Win is the dream with 10% now going to Genius Sports.
The NFL can guarantee money on their contracts but can still release players at any time with no more obligation to pay out the actual salary portion which in some cases is quite minor compared to the guaranteed portions.

NHL contracts are guaranteed. Teams can't simply cut their way out of bad contracts but they can buy them out with impact to their cap. After buying out OEL's contract the Canucks have $147K in dead cap space tied up this year. Next season that jumps to $2.347M before 2 more years at $4.676M then tailing off to $2.127M for the final two years. Arizona is also taking a small dead cap space hit for the OEL buyout starting this year with $20K then $320K, $650K, $650K, $290K and $290K. Also the NHL has have a farm system they can use to bury bad contracts with some cap implications. An NHL team can only have 50 players under contract with a max of 23 being on their NHL roster. Most of the remaining 27 contracts wind up spending most of the season in the minors or on loan to Europe.

I don't know what the deal is in MLB but like the NHL they have a farm system. A lot of their contracts are used to feed their farm system. Neither the NFL nor CFL have a farm system. Their practice squads are their farm system.

Remember Gary Butler? Imagine if Wally was stuck with him all season instead of being able to cut him loose after a few games. This place would have exploded. The nature of the CFL is such that coaches have to make a lot of gut calls, especially with rookies, based on about 16 practices and a few preseason reps. Those gut calls often work out very well but often don't as the coach doesn't really know what he has until several games into the season.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:57 am
Ta'amu was on the Riders list of 10 neg list players released in September. He wasn't on the December release but neither were the other 9 listed in September. There's no way of knowing if it's a case of he's no longer on their list or they just chose to release the names of a different 10 players.
B.C.FAN wrote:Ta’amu was on Saskatchewan’s neg list as of last September.
Sounds like the neg list is another for my list of things to gripe about. Curious if it is shared information amongst the teams or administered by the league?

Odd there appears to be no interest from the Riders in Ta'amu being apparently fully committed to Trevor Harris with Pipkin and Patterson also under contract. I can see the ELC being an issue and perhaps no interest from the player. Only 26.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:06 am
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:57 am
B.C.FAN wrote:Ta’amu was on Saskatchewan’s neg list as of last September.
Sounds like the neg list is another for my list of things to gripe about. Curious if it is shared information amongst the teams or administered by the league?

Odd there appears to be no interest from the Riders in Ta'amu being apparently fully committed to Trevor Harris with Pipkin and Patterson also under contract. I can see the ELC being an issue and perhaps no interest from the player. Only 26.
Just because the Riders haven't actually signed Ta'amu doesn't mean they don't have interest. If they didn't have interest he wouldn't be on their neg list. Far more likely is that Ta'amu doesn't have interest in coming to the CFL at this point.

Between the NFL, XFL and USFL he's had 11 pro pit stops starting in 2019. He led the USFL in passing in 2022 and being named XFL Offensive Player of the Year in 2023. Some of his NFL stops, which included twice with both KC and Detroit, were quite brief but nonetheless he's continued to draw interest including his last stop with Minnesota in August. Until interest in him south of the border totally dries up I suspect he'll be giving the Riders the old "don't call me, I'll call you." treatment.

Neg list info is shared amongst teams and administered by the league. Somebody has to be tracking it or else a bunch of teams could have the same player listed. Quite often when a team drops a player from their list another team quickly adds him to theirs. There are 3 full pages in the CFL Bylaws document dedicated to the rules and adminstration of the Negotiation Lists.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Stephen Dunbar was due a $65,000 bonus which is insane even for the Elks. Now released his signed in the UFL.
Someone would have to explain this one to me as he was 3rd highest paid and had an injury issue that year. Does the UFL play well or is he planning a return after that season is done or something else?
The 28-year-old played 13 games with the Elks in 2023 and made 39 receptions for 536 yards and five touchdowns. He finished the season on the six-game injured list and was the third-highest-paid receiver in the league. His release came shortly before he was due an off-season roster bonus of $65,000.
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/22/stev ... nton-elks/

Meanwhile Manny Arceneaux on Twitter is looking for a tryout. He's shown to be a great team and CFL contributor and a maturity level in recent years has helped. Age is a b...ch when you wanna still compete. His tweet graphics show his former team colurs and him. Looks good.
Serious Question 🚨

With all these @CFL Transactions, Who’s Willing To Give Manny Arceneaux an Opportunity to Play in 2024? A Leader On & Off the Field & Make Those Around Him Better! #HardWorkWorks #LastRide
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:43 am
Stephen Dunbar was due a $65,000 bonus which is insane even for the Elks. Now released his signed in the UFL.
Someone would have to explain this one to me as he was 3rd highest paid and had an injury issue that year. Does the UFL play well or is he planning a return after that season is done or something else?
Dunbar suffered with an inexperienced QB in Edmonton whether it was accuracy or decision making and no doubt he already knew what offers were on the table before signing in the UFL. I was a bit surprised Hamilton did not bring him back but imagine they gave a number where they could be given Tim White and Terry Godwin also need to be signed. As is his UFL salary will be about the same as his $65,000 bonus that he did not get. We may see him back sooner than later if he can show well in the spring league.

My dark horse for a job and a 1000 yd season in Hamilton is Derel Walker.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Little surprised to see the Riders sign Mason Fine to a 2-year extension, joining Harris and Pipkin in the 2024 QB stable. Dolegala (27) is just 1-year older and definitely out peformed Fine last season. Might have come down to money.

Does Dolegala's big arm intrigue the Lions and could he flourish in Maksymic's passing scheme? He at least has to be considered for the #2 spot.

Bit of a cryptic tweet from Josh Woods yesterday perhaps indicating he is not happy with BC's offer:
What you fail to value someone else will
His status is one of many questions to answer on the BC defence over the next 3 weeks. Lokombo has a bonus due Feb. 1. If nothing happens it might indicate Woods or Hladik are not back as I can't see the Lions being able to pay all three of them.

Also wondering if they are fortunate enough to sign Betts, along with significant pay raises to the receivers and hopefully Hladik, the Lions plan to go cheaper in the secondary.
don corleone
Starter

Wondering if they might have interest in Nelson Lokombo?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 am
For a guy who was drafted #2 overall Lokombo has been somewhat of a disappointment in Saskatchewan not all fault of his own. He hasn't had much luck. He tore his achilles just before his first training camp and has struggled with injuries ever since. He of course missed all of 2021. He played 12 of 18 in 2022 getting 5 starts. This past year he suited up for 11 games getting 1 start. Rider fans were jacked the day he was drafted. Now they are talking about him in terms of "should we bring him back?" or he could "provide some depth". Still plenty young though. Won't be 25 until March.

So yes he could be worth a look but BC's secondary is already fairly crowded with NAT talent. They have returning vets in Bagayogo, Greene and Rene who was very good on special teams. Last year's draft pick Charlie Ringland is joining the club this year and Markcus Jean-Loescher and Jassin States-McClean are returning for another run at it.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:54 am
don corleone wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 am
For a guy who was drafted #2 overall Lokombo has been somewhat of a disappointment in Saskatchewan not all fault of his own. He hasn't had much luck. He tore his achilles just before his first training camp and has struggled with injuries ever since. He of course missed all of 2021. He played 12 of 18 in 2022 getting 5 starts. This past year he suited up for 11 games getting 1 start. Rider fans were jacked the day he was drafted. Now they are talking about him in terms of "should we bring him back?" or he could "provide some depth". Still plenty young though. Won't be 25 until March.

So yes he could be worth a look but BC's secondary is already fairly crowded with NAT talent. They have returning vets in Bagayogo, Greene and Rene who was very good on special teams. Last year's draft pick Charlie Ringland is joining the club this year and Markcus Jean-Loescher and Jassin States-McClean are returning for another run at it.
I had visions of the Flying Lokombo Brothers and thought playing together might be good for both of them. Lions may have an option of Bagayogo as a starting corner also where Nelson Lokombo could serve as good depth.

Sask and Winnipeg are looking for corners as well so will be interesting to see what happens with Edwards-Cooper. Dominoes will start to fall soon.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I was surprised that Mason Fine got signed and not Dolegala and I too wonder if BC might be interested in the latter. I'm still think Fine might be a development project worth investing in.

I still think there's gotta to be a few more QBs coming on the market more than just via Free Agency as 6 QBs in Ottawa seems untenable if you're looking to see who your starter is going to be meaning enough reps in TC etc for QBs to show something. I just don't think I'd rely on Masoli given his disastrous issues but Zach Collaros too looked like a goner and now he's unquestionably the starter in WPG. Dru Brown must undoubtedly have been told he's in the hunt for no. 1 QB or I think he'd have wanted elsewhere. I know he was sent to Ottawa via trade but I'd be shocked if it came out he didn't want to go there. He sure sounds like he wants to be there and no doubt WPG doesn't want him in the west such as Calgary if they were to want Brown in case they fall out of love with Jake Maier.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

Squawk is Vernon Adams being asked to re-neg to help make room for Streveler. Makes me wonder what they were thinking when they extended Hollins.

Can't see Streveler signing for less than Dru Brown and would pass on that plan if I were the Lions. Vernon Adams is also the one guy I don't want to mess with from a team chemistry perspective. Perhaps his tweets of support for fellow players are getting him in trouble.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:53 pm
I was surprised that Mason Fine got signed and not Dolegala and I too wonder if BC might be interested in the latter. I'm still think Fine might be a development project worth investing in.

I still think there's gotta to be a few more QBs coming on the market more than just via Free Agency as 6 QBs in Ottawa seems untenable if you're looking to see who your starter is going to be meaning enough reps in TC etc for QBs to show something. I just don't think I'd rely on Masoli given his disastrous issues but Zach Collaros too looked like a goner and now he's unquestionably the starter in WPG. Dru Brown must undoubtedly have been told he's in the hunt for no. 1 QB or I think he'd have wanted elsewhere. I know he was sent to Ottawa via trade but I'd be shocked if it came out he didn't want to go there. He sure sounds like he wants to be there and no doubt WPG doesn't want him in the west such as Calgary if they were to want Brown in case they fall out of love with Jake Maier.
The thing with Ottawa is that while they have 6 under contract, 7 if you want to count Arbuckle who won't be re-signed next month, they will likely only have 4 of them at training camp. Masoli is not expected to be healthy until late June or into July. Adams is also rumoured to be doubtful for camp. It's looking like they will only have Brown, Crum, Pigrome and Dunniway available for camp. Until Masoli and Adams are healthy they are not really part of the conversation. Ottawa will have to deal with a crowded QB room as those two return to health. If Masoli can return 100% they could be set up very nicely. For the hard money Brown will receive and that of Masoli after re-working his deal they could have Brown, Masoli and Crum or Adams as their 3 QBs for about $500K hard money combined. I see Masoli as invaluable to Brown's development due to has exemplary reputation as a leader and team first guy who checks his ego at the door.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Didn't realize we saved significant salary on the hasty Jonathan Kongbo trade (for a 1st Rd draft pick) and now Hamilton is contemplating whether to pick up the second year after a underwhelming 2023 season. I guess that's what it took to lure him back to the CFL and of course the release of Shawn Lemon at the time to make room for his contract.
Kongbo is set to receive a $15,000 offseason bonus on February 1, the first component in a deal worth $163,800 in hard money next season. There is an additional $15,000 in playtime and incentive money available as well, putting the underwhelming National on par financially with what players like Winnipeg’s Jackson Jeffcoat made last year.

Hamilton paid Kongbo over $123,000 in 2023 but they didn’t negotiate his current contract. Those terms were laid out by his hometown B.C. Lions, who paid out an additional $20,000 report and pass bonus after luring him back from the NFL.
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/22/offs ... an-kongbo/