Marketing 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Lions President Duane Vienneau was on with Moj and Giulio on the Training Camp report (AM730). Some notes:

* Said their season seat sale is going well but didn't reveal a number. Goal was to double the season ticket numbers over 2022 which they're going to fall a bit short of, but happy with where they are.

* Their goal is to sell out the lower bowl every game, regardless of the opponent. Then if they sell out the lower bowl, then work on opening the upper deck and sell more and more.

* Introducing the Quarterback Club in which youngsters can bring a parent and be all in at $200 for the season. The twist is that the tickets will be in the child's name.

* Every game will have a theme. The Saskatchewan Rivalry Game will feature two tailgate parties - one for Rider fans and one for Lions fans (I believe this is where the pumpkin smash will be held).

* Will be closing off Beatty Street for select games (about 3-4). Challenging to get permits from the City of Vancouver for this.

* 'Concert and Kickoff' for the home opener was referenced but still no official announcement. Vienneau said it will be every bit as big as last year's, but was mum on details.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:05 pm
Lions President Duane Vienneau was on with Moj and Giulio on the Training Camp report (AM730). Some notes:

* Said their season seat sale is going well but didn't reveal a number. Goal was to double the season ticket numbers over 2022 which they're going to fall a bit short of, but happy with where they are.

* Their goal is to sell out the lower bowl every game, regardless of the opponent. Then if they sell out the lower bowl, then work on opening the upper deck and sell more and more.

* Introducing the Quarterback Club in which youngsters can bring a parent and be all in at $200 for the season. The twist is that the tickets will be in the child's name.

* Every game will have a theme. The Saskatchewan Rivalry Game will feature two tailgate parties - one for Rider fans and one for Lions fans (I believe this is where the pumpkin smash will be held).

* Will be closing off Beatty Street for select games (about 3-4). Challenging to get permits from the City of Vancouver for this.

* 'Concert and Kickoff' for the home opener was referenced but still no official announcement. Vienneau said it will be every bit as big as last year's, but was mum on details.

3 weeks out until the home opener. At this point they believe a shorter window to hype up the game and musical act is better strategy for a surge in sales or it’s some kind of agreement with the musical act. Maybe they are performing in Vancouver or nearby in the same time frame and don’t want it to impact ticket sales.
Who knows but One Republic was announced May 3 a year ago. Roughly 6 weeks before the game.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:

Even if Beatty isn’t closed off. Party will move and be squished into plaza. My guess openner and riders game Beatty closed off.
almo89
Legend

Qman wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:11 am
David wrote:

Even if Beatty isn’t closed off. Party will move and be squished into plaza. My guess openner and riders game Beatty closed off.
Yep. Even when it was in the Plaza only, it was still a ton of fun. Especially on those hot summer days. Enjoying a few 5 dollar beers before the game. It was such a fantastic experience. Hope they market the hell out of that this season to get the fence seaters to come over.
David
Team Captain

Sorry, forgot to mention one other initiative they are working on. Along the lines of transportation to/from the Island and Interior, they are considering rides to/from drinking establishments around the Lower Mainland.

In other words, there may be, say, a large brewpub in Langley that will be a gathering spot for Lions fans headed to the game. Fans can enjoy drink specials, then the bus will pick them up, drive them to the game, and offer transportation to the pub afterward, as how I understood it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Honestly, the lions don’t market kids season ticket enough.
I know few causal families that have tickets this year for first time. Reason. Father and son ticket. They all say if I only make half the games, still a great deal.

It should be all over buses, Facebook, etc.
David
Team Captain

Been seeing a lot of the Lions' TV commercials (esp. on CTV). It's a 15-second spot.

* Hip-hop music in the background to appeal to a younger viewer. Check. :beauty:
* Focus on the players. Check. :beauty:
* Action shots of their athletic feats. Check :beauty:

The only problem? All of the action shots show empty seats. :bang:

You'd think with the 30,000+ that attended last year's home opener and the West Semi-Final that they could have found better footage, something makes the viewer want to be "a part" of the crowd. Nothing screams, "I'll pass" more than rows of empty seats. It really blows my mind that this detail would get overlooked. :thdn:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

The club has offered season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase tickets (any section) for Sunday's game vs Als for $10 each.

If anyone would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please DM me. We just took advantage of the offer and are bringing two friends of ours. $20 for two tickets on the 50-yard line. You can't beat it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:44 pm
The club has offered season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase tickets (any section) for Sunday's game vs Als for $10 each.

If anyone would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please DM me. We just took advantage of the offer and are bringing two friends of ours. $20 for two tickets on the 50-yard line. You can't beat it.

Hmm. I haven't seen anything, not even an emailed reminder about downloading my tickets to the game, stadium entry procedures, etc. I didn't receive anything last game either.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:27 pm
David wrote:

Hmm. I haven't seen anything, not even an emailed reminder about downloading my tickets to the game, stadium entry procedures, etc. I didn't receive anything last game either.
BCFan, if you did not get the $10 offer (I got mine twice) or the other information last game, you should contact your Customer Rep. While I have not received the Sunday game info yet, I've been getting a steady stream of announcements from the Lions. Check to see why you've dropped off their promos mails.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:27 pm
David wrote:

Received my email for the extra tickets at 10:53am July 4th.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Jazzman
prospect

I have to agree image is everything ....showing empty seats in an ad doesn't sell more seats .

Marketing is to be crafted to show a image that is positive in all aspects and if you have to cover up or create a false image to portray a higher demand you do it .