Lions at Argos July 3, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Vernon Adams being VA. I've had enough of him; start the backup for next game and let Adams watch from the sidelines. It's what he deserves.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:50 pm
Vernon Adams being VA. I've had enough of him; start the backup for next game and let Adams watch from the sidelines. It's what he deserves.
He threw six bad passes that cost them the game. But he also passed for 388 yards and three touchdowns. That is frequently enough to win a game. Even if he had half of those bad passes back, the result might have been very different.
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walt67
Starter

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:03 pm
DanoT wrote:
He three six bad passes that cost them the game. But he also passed for 388 yards and three touchdowns. That is frequently enough to win a game. Even if he had half of those bad passes back, the result might have been very different.
that is a very mature assessment - let's not throw out VA after one bad, albeit very bad, game
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Walt67 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:55 pm
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:03 pm
DanoT wrote:
He three six bad passes that cost them the game. But he also passed for 388 yards and three touchdowns. That is frequently enough to win a game. Even if he had half of those bad passes back, the result might have been very different.
that is a very mature assessment - let's not throw out VA after one bad, albeit very bad, game
The thing is its not just one game its pretty much an entire career with Adams: You get the good with the bad. A little bit like Henry Burris except Good Henry was really good.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:18 pm
Dusty wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:24 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:15 pm

I feel bad for me having to watch that mess.
Tough to watch so I left the TV broadcast at half time and listen to the radio.... didn't sound any better on the radio.... Oh well, next game still is gonna come on the 9th.....
Yeah, but you still have to listen to Carravatta and Moj acting like some school kids clowning around.
I just don't get people can't be more professional. Jim Robson comes to mind
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Not sure what pisses me off more: Adams’ INT disaster or the absolutely arrogant Bombers media (Taylor, Brown) that are relishing from a performance in a game they didn’t even work.
Do they even remember Winnipeg was actually Collaros’ 4th CFL stop when he arrived there at the age of 30?
We will find out the extent of the damage to Adams’ fragile confidence moving forward. Als defence will be another big test on Sunday. But now there will be a dark cloud looming again after he and the club had worked hard to try and put that behind him.

That was probably why Campbell gave Adams a huge rope last night. But as much as they have stood behind him those wild levels of inconsistency surely were in the back of their minds when they made the effort to acquire Evans.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Lions weren't likely planning on running the board so this is a good time and place in the season to lose a game IF you learn a few key lessons here:
> you can't just rely on big play VA.
> when their DEF is predicting your plays, you have to be able to adjust. One way is the Bomber way - physically jam the ball down their throat with runs coming from Rec's and backs.
> DEF - you need to adjust from man coverage when they're moving the ball.

What is BC's philosophy on offense? It's not clear but I can see what teams like the Bombers and Argos are doing to stretch the field and avoid predictability. Yet but for VAs INTS and the 91 yard punt return giving them 31 or 34 points, there were some real weaknesses in the Argos yesterday that weren't evident in their prior games this season.

How to defend against the Lions stems from the predictability of what they're doing on offense and tendencies to not only try to stretch the field vertically.
VA getting outside was the right approach other than his passing errors that led to INTs that shouldn't have been tossed.
As someone said, the book is out on how to DEF and cover BC.

There were times in the game when runs to the outside like to start the 3rd Q were catching Toronto focused all on the inside and getting decent yards.
In the first half I was surprised at Dinwoodie's play calling on offense as they weren't running the ball and showing any run creativity which he's shown in other games. Then the script flipped.

Post-game Chad Kelly commented on the Lion's man coverage that they exploited.

I'm not sure what they do with VA as he gets down on himself and visibly shows both his team and opponents by his actions where his head is at.

Kelly's stats in the first quarter were for losers with 1 first down and 14 yards passing and 5 yds rushing but Argos had a 91 yd punt return to tie 7-7 and BC had 2 turnovers. Argos had just 7 yds rushing at half time with BC giving up another turnover leading to 17 points and Toronto leading 25-14.

In the first half BC rushed for just 18 yards. With VA at QB tossing INTs you need play calling and the ability to execute these to take off the pressure. You can't have a 6 INT ball game and win.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Argos Roberston Daniel on VA's INTs. He said VA quite a few things but one of them that was key was that he could see VA passing to his first read.
Daniel says Adams Jr.'s confidence came back to bite him against the Argos
Robertson Daniel says he expected interceptions against the Lions and believes Vernon Adams Jr.'s confidence came back to bite him against the Argos.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/daniel-say ... -t~2719454

Chad Kelly and comment on BCs man coverage:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/kelly-prai ... at~2719453

Jesus clearly was an Argos fan yesterday.

I was surprised TSN didn't interview Uncle Jim Kelly.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sick of players praising and giving credit to the Lord when they win. Who do they blame when they get beaten or miss the critical tackle ??
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:53 pm
By my count Adams have thrown 8 interceptions in 4 games. Not a winning combination
The weird part is that he only threw 1 INT in 6 games last year when he was new to the team. Head scratcher. :dizzy:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:44 pm
Can we please see Evans ? Could he be any worse
If we saw Evans in the 2nd or 3rd quarter we could still have won the game. :bang:
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Give Dane Evans lots of 1st team reps in practice this week and have Adams on a short leash for the next game is what I hope Campbell is planning. 6 interceptions in one gane can't be ignored and is very strong evidence that Adams does not make good decisions on a football field far too often.
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:35 am
Sick of players praising and giving credit to the Lord when they win. Who do they blame when they get beaten or miss the critical tackle ??
Satan obviously.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I highly doubt that VA will be on a short leash but fully supported by his coaches as VA not's built for that kind of treatment. You'd be better off cutting the guy if you think like that. Dane Evans has a spotty record of brilliance and disasters himself and without much playing time, it'd be unfair to him or the team at this stage.
The Lions have put all their eggs in the VA basket this season and will live or die on his play.

Unfortunately, the Lions don't have that young Nathan Rourke waiting to excel in his first starts something that should be concerning.

The QB needs help on the play-calling side and VA needs to be reigned in from high-risk throws and just eat the ball or toss it away.
He needs some self talk coaching it seems when things go wrong.

Dane Evans has tossed just one pass this year and 16 INTs last year with the Ticats.

Right now the Elks have decided to go back to Taylor Cornelius after sitting him entirely in the last game and taking him out early in the prior game where he was not that bad.

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:35 am
It drives me crazy all the religious signaling and attributions of their success.
If God is on your side not theirs does that mean that God is more of a fan of the Argos over the Lions.

Joe Paterno of Penn State fame (and covering up sex abuse allegedly) was exiting mass the eve of a national championship and asked if he prayed for a Penn victory. Response was along the lines of "...the good lord has a lot more important things to think about than if Penn State wins over ...."

After the game last night and a short binge of "Suits" (my new favourite series replacing Billions and Succession as 1 and 2), I watched half of Seven Psychopaths on Netflix which is a crazy movie with big stars like Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walkem.
There was a great exchange between Walkem (Hans) and his movie wife who was in hospital for cancer that triggered me back to the post-game Kelly interview:
Myra:
God loves us. I know He does. He's just got a funny way of showing it sometimes.
Sometimes I think God's gone crazy sometimes.
Stuff He does, stuff He don't do.

Hans:
Well, He's had a lot to contend with in his time, too, you know. Bastards killed His kid, too.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not particularly religious but faith can be a powerful force for some and I'm fine with it so long as it isn't forced on others. We had a crappy game yesterday, a frustrating, maddening game and what of it. VA has won more game than lost in his time with the Lions so far and has looked pretty good much of the time doing it. Let's see how he and team bounce back next game before we start calling for change.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.