Lions move business operations downtown

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

And no not at BC Place. This is a pretty significant move by the club to have more of a presence in the city. Either on Doman’s to do list or Duane Vienneau’s vision
We're proud to announce that we've moved our Business Operations from the Surrey training facility to downtown Vancouver.

Our new address is:

Unit 215 - 800 West Pender
Vancouver, BC
V6C 1J8

That means all ticketing, sales, merchandise sales, and other non-football operations will NO LONGER be handled at the Surrey training facility.

All of the below can now be handled at the downtown office:

Purchase tickets in person
Pay off the balance on your ticketing account
Any non-football ops related inquiries
All BC Lions merchandise sales are now online and not available at either office. Please visit store.bclions.com to purchase.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The ticket office and perhaps other business operations used to be located on the ground floor of B.C. Place along Pacific Boulevard.

I’m not sure there’s much value in being based downtown nowadays, especially with most corporate offices adopting some form of remote work. There was a time when the Lions had a strong downtown networking presence through Waterboys breakfasts and Vancouver Board of Trade lunches. I haven’t heard about any such events lately.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

No biggie but I dont like that you have to use the website to purchase stuff.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:30 pm
There’s lots of merchandise booths at games. That aspect of the business has come a long way.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:35 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:30 pm
There’s lots of merchandise booths at games. That aspect of the business has come a long way.
good to know. Good thing my wife goes to the games because I cant.

I did my part. I converted a long time hard core Bomber fan into a hard core Lions fan :)
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:16 pm
And no not at BC Place. This is a pretty significant move by the club to have more of a presence in the city. Either on Doman’s to do list or Duane Vienneau’s vision
We're proud to announce that we've moved our Business Operations from the Surrey training facility to downtown Vancouver.

Our new address is:

Unit 215 - 800 West Pender
Vancouver, BC
V6C 1J8

That means all ticketing, sales, merchandise sales, and other non-football operations will NO LONGER be handled at the Surrey training facility.

All of the below can now be handled at the downtown office:

Purchase tickets in person
Pay off the balance on your ticketing account
Any non-football ops related inquiries
All BC Lions merchandise sales are now online and not available at either office. Please visit store.bclions.com to purchase.
I assume this is to be closer to sponsors and doman.
apparently last year was record year for sponsorship $ for lions
David
Team Captain

This is heaven-sent for me. My office is a 2-minute walk.

They might grow tired of me. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Alputt
Champion

I think this is great I hope you can pick up merchandise there you order online? (Avoid paying $20 to get a t-shirt mailed from Surrey)
David
Team Captain

I wonder how long it will take for the club to announce a new practice compound. I am willing to bet this will be within 5 years, 6 max, that they will jump ship from Whalley to be either in Van or Bby. Something with an indoor component to bring those soggy late October through November practices inside.

Moving business ops downtown is the first step in that plan, if I had to guess.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:25 pm
I wonder how long it will take for the club to announce a new practice compound. I am willing to bet this will be within 5 years, 6 max, that they will jump ship from Whalley to be either in Van or Bby. Something with an indoor component to bring those soggy late October through November practices inside.

Moving business ops downtown is the first step in that plan, if I had to guess.

Doubt it’s van or bby. Land is too expensive. Those facilities go where land is cheap. I could see out in Langley (maybe at twu or by airport) or Abbotsford.

I could see lions and Surrey just putting a roof over Tom Binnie as well and upgrading current facility.
David
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:55 pm
Doubt it’s van or bby. Land is too expensive. Those facilities go where land is cheap. I could see out in Langley (maybe at twu or by airport) or Abbotsford.

I could see lions and Surrey just putting a roof over Tom Binnie as well and upgrading current facility.
Burnaby and even Richmond had been rumoured in the past. Media (such as it is) arguably more inclined to cover team when they don't have as far to travel. That's what I recall reading. Something to that effect.

Also, Doman is a Vancouver guy. Yes, land is more expensive north of the Fraser River, but he is heavily invested (financially and emotionally) in this club. Again, it's not going to happen soon but I could totally see them moving out of Surrey.

Being in Van doesn't seem to phase the Caps' owner.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Going out to ubc was a mistake by caps. Basically ignored there.

Global is in Burnaby, TSN new west, province grandview, but sports media might not exist in 10 years
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:28 pm
Qman wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:55 pm

Burnaby and even Richmond had been rumoured in the past. Media (such as it is) arguably more inclined to cover team when they don't have as far to travel. That's what I recall reading. Something to that effect.

Also, Doman is a Vancouver guy. Yes, land is more expensive north of the Fraser River, but he is heavily invested (financially and emotionally) in this club. Again, it's not going to happen soon but I could totally see them moving out of Surrey.

Being in Van doesn't seem to phase the Caps' owner.

I would think a move closer to downtown is more likely than a move farther out in the valley. While the Surrey location is, well Surrey, access to slightly more affordable rentals accommodations and Skytrain has to be beneficial to the players many of whom don't necessarily have a vehicle up here. After moving the business operations downtown it would seem counterproductive to move football operations farther away. The $64M question is where?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Separating business operations to be closer to the owner can work but as others point out with so much remote work these days, going DT might be based more on the proximity to the owner's operations. An active in the business owner with other business interests is not coming to you all the time.

I can't see the practice grounds moving from south of the Fraser River as there's no way you'd have happy players having to rent downtown. Near Skytrain has to be a bonus. Lions need access to the turf to practice next door to them as well as that has to be a factor along with the desire to practice on grass that's not shared with others. I'm not sure of Surrey's plans for the area eventually.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

In the end, I see lions staying and upgrading their facility and Surrey upgrading tom binnie as well (hopefully with a roof over top) which would also appeal to groups that use it for non lion times. Also the city seems committed to athletic parks around there with towers going up in the area.