Training camp 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

Going to try to be at the afternoon practice today if I can finish work before 4 pm.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 am
Going to try to be at the afternoon practice today if I can finish work before 4 pm.
Sounds good. I'll be at both practices.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:54 am
squishy35 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 am
Sounds good. I'll be at both practices.
:thup: I'll look for you :beauty:
Grandma Lion
prospect

Hi. I am a huge Lions fan, but live in Saskatchewan. I used to always follow training camp on TSN1040 but that's not an option anymore. Are there any radio stations that I can stream to get training camp reports .... and throughout the season?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Grandma Lion wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:59 am
Hi. I am a huge Lions fan, but live in Saskatchewan. I used to always follow training camp on TSN1040 but that's not an option anymore. Are there any radio stations that I can stream to get training camp reports .... and throughout the season?
No, I'm not aware of any, and I haven't seen many media members at camp in recent years. Your best bets for daily updates are to watch this Lionbackers thread and check bclions.com for news, photos and videos, including player interviews. The Lions' communications team does a first-rate job.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

All five B.C. quarterbacks, including intern Te Jessie of the Westshore Rebels, were on the field and throwing for the first full practice of rookie camp in the bright Kamloops sun Thursday morning. Vernon Adams took first reps, followed by Dom Davis, Dane Evans and rookie Judd Erickson. We'll see if that rotation holds.

Alex Hollins was the only incumbent receiver taking reps with the rookies. OL Tyler Packer was the only other holdover Lion among the 57 players on the field. LB Tyler Varga, who attended 2022 camp before returning to the University of Regina for his final year of eligibility, is back looking for a roster spot this year and was prominent at inside linebacker. Hollins, playing the field WR spot where he finished the 2022 season, had an early drop in skelly but VA went back to him on the next play. I expect him to be pencilled in as a starter when main camp opens on Sunday.

RB Antonio Williams took first reps in the non-padded team session and had a couple of good inside runs. He was followed by Raymond Calais, who made two nice catch-and-runs in one-on-ones and showed some of the speed that made him a standout returner in college at Louisiana. Taquan Mizzell took third-team reps and also showed good hands.

WR Ron Hunt made a nice one-handed catch in the flat in team play and turned it upfield for a big gain. DB Christian Uphoff had an interception and returned it to the house. Fellow American rookie Jaylon McClain-Sapp had a nice breakup in one-on-ones.

In the absence of veteran punter Stefan Flintoft, rookies Cesar Barajas and Casey Bednarski took snaps in punting drills but there was no punting or kicking. DB Xavior Williams and WR Kevin Shaa lined up as returners along with RBs Calais and Mizzell .

The players are due back on the field at 4 p.m. to complete the only two-a-day on the training camp schedule.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:33 pm
All five B.C. quarterbacks, including intern Te Jessie of the Westshore Rebels, were on the field and throwing for the first full practice of rookie camp in the bright Kamloops sun Thursday morning. Vernon Adams took first reps, followed by Dom Davis, Dane Evans and rookie Judd Erickson. We'll see if that rotation holds.

Alex Hollins was the only incumbent receiver taking reps with the rookies. OL Tyler Packer was the only other holdover Lion among the 57 players on the field. LB Tyler Varga, who attended 2022 camp before returning to the University of Regina for his final year of eligibility, is back looking for a roster spot this year and was prominent at inside linebacker. Hollins, playing the field WR spot where he finished the 2022 season, had an early drop in skelly but VA went back to him on the next play. I expect him to be pencilled in as a starter when main camp opens on Sunday.

RB Antonio Williams took first reps in non-padded team session and had a couple of good inside runs. He was followed by Raymond Calais, who made two nice catch-and-runs in one-on-ones and showed some of the speed that made him a standout returner in college at Louisiana. Taquan Mizzell took third-team reps and also showed good hands.

WR Ron Hunt nice one-handed catch in the flat in team play and turned it upfield for a big gain. DB Christian Uphoff had an interception and returned it to the house. Fellow American rookie Jaylon McClain-Sapp had a nice breakup in one-on-ones.

In the absence of veteran punter Stefan Flintoft, rookies Cesar Barajas and Casey Bednarski took snaps in punting drills but there was no punting or kicking. DB Xavior Williams and WR Kevin Shaa lined up as returners along with RBs Calais and Mizzell .

The players are due back on the field at 4 p.m. to complete the only two-a-day on the training camp schedule.

Thanks for the report :wink:
Qman
Champion

Grandma Lion wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:59 am
Am730 and radioNL have stuff on when camp starts. RadioNL is usually live.

Lions usually repost those on website as podcasts in either training camp 2023, training camp central or lions audio network tabs.

They may also be posted in 1st&now channel or moj channel on Apple.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thursday afternoon's rookie camp practice featured some spirited team play and high-tempo one-on-one and skelly sessions and the first live punting and field goal drills. In a change from the morning rotation, Dane Evans took second-team reps at quarterback ahead of Dom Davis. Vernon Adams sat out the team session, although it didn't appear to be injury-related. Evans took first-team reps, followed by Davis and rookie Judd Erickson. In the team session, Evans scrambled and hit WR Jake Lampman on the sidelines for big gain. Lampman made a nice diving catch on next play on an Evans rollout. Taquan Mizzell, one of four RBs in rookie camp vying to replace James Butler (a fifth, Vance McShane, is expected for the start of main camp Sunday) had a nice inside run. WR Ron Hunt had 3 clutch catches in skelly. Kevin Shaa and FB Dylan St. Pierre had nice catch-and-runs.

Safety Christian Uphoff, who had the only interception in the Thursday morning practice, had big knockdowns that could have been interceptions in one-on-ones and skelly. He did pushups after the first. He also missed a chance to knock down a deep sideline pass that resulted in a big gain in team play.

Kickers Kieran Burnham and Casey Bednarski both showed strong legs on field goal attempts of around 50 yards. Adams and Evans again were the holders.

Cesar Barajas and Bednarski both boomed the ball in punt drills. Long-snapper, though, is a problem position. St. Pierre and Global FB John-Levi Kruse were erratic, with several balls sailing high over the kickers' heads all day or bouncing in front of them. Major improvement is needed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rookie camp wrapped up with a padded practice Friday morning. One of the biggest stories of camp was not about the rookies, but about the status of the three veteran quarterbacks. Once again, Dom Davis and Dane Evans rotated roles, with Davis taking second reps behind Vernon Adams and first reps in the only scrimmage of practice, which Adams sat out for the second straight practice. Evans took reps behind Davis, followed by rookie Judd Erickson. Coaches appear to see the backup quarterback position as an open competition and are rotating practice reps between Davis and Evans as they did last year with Michael O'Connor and Kevin Thomson. Both quarterbacks have shown good command of the playbook and have responded with some solid passing. Unofficially, Davis and Evans were both 3 for 3 in a brief padded scrimmage. Erickson was 1 for 3 with a knockdown by DB Najee Reams, who was also beaten on a deep corner pass from Davis.

Earlier in skelly, Adams was efficient on passes all over the field, especially at finding holes in zone defence. Davis threw a deep post pass to a wide-open receiver who had to stop and wait for the ball before outrunning two defenders to the end zone. Ryan Phillips had a long talk with rookie safety Siriman Bagayogo afterwards. Evans and Erickson were both efficient in skelly. DB Xavior Williams knocked down one pass from Erickson.

There was no change in special teams. Long-snapping was better today. FB Dylan St. Pierre took the majority of reps. One punt snap and one field goal snap were low but were fielded cleanly. Global FB John-Levi-Kruse snapped cleanly on punts.

With rookie camp in the books, coaches now must trim the roster. The Lions list 100 players on their online roster. They must cut down to 85 plus non-counters (national and global draft picks in their first camp, unsigned juniors and QB interns) by the start of main camp. That probably means a half-dozen of the 57 players who attended rookie camp will be cut or placed on inactive lists before Sunday. Another 10 positions must be cut after Tuesday, when the first padded practice of main camp in scheduled.

A few players who caught my eye in rookie camp include RBs Antonio Williams and Raymond Calais (two of five players who will be vying for the starting RB position), WRs Ron Hunt, Kevin Shaa and Justice Murphy and DBs Jaylon McClain-Sapp, Christian Uphoff and Xavior Williams. Special mention must go to 6 ft. 8 Global receiver Jevoni Robinson, who towers over everyone one the field. He looks like a clone of 6 ft. 5 national Jevon Cottoy and plays the same slotback position. At 30, Robinson is not a true rookie. He has bounced around pro football camps for five years after playing two years of pro basketball in Italy but he’ll be hard to ignore when roster decisions are made.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great reports BC Fan. Thank you.

With Adams a slam dunk as the starter maybe it's all about sorting out the backups.

I assume the Lions will go with these three (Adams, Davis and Evans) versus trade or cut someone or pick up someone else. I guess the longshot is the 4th QB to pick off one of the back ups. My sense is if he's a keeper he'll be on the PR but what do I know lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:05 pm
Great reports BC Fan. Thank you.

With Adams a slam dunk as the starter maybe it's all about sorting out the backups.

I assume the Lions will go with these three (Adams, Davis and Evans) versus trade or cut someone or pick up someone else. I guess the longshot is the 4th QB to pick off one of the back ups. My sense is if he's a keeper he'll be on the PR but what do I know lol
I wonder of the flip-flopping of 2 & 3 is to make for a level playing field. Typically #1 gets the bulk of reps with 1st unit O which is understandable as teams are already trying to install their regular season offense on Day 1 of main camp. Rotating #2 & #3 with 2nd & 3rd units let's them show there stuff on an equal basis vs one guy getting bulk of his reps with 2nd unit and the other with the 3rd unit.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks for these outstanding reports as always BC FAN. With the days of the beat writers long gone, these are the best non-bias reports out there. Looking forward to more with main camp starting tomorrow.

Starters' battles I will be keeping an eye:
-running back (wide open)
- guard (Pierson, Knevel or back to Norman?)
- 5th receiver (Hollins to lose unless Norman is the answer above)
-field side corner (Edwards-Cooper or FA signing Mike Jones?)
- safety (part-time 2022 starter Mauger or perhaps one of the above?)
- left tackle (the versatile Broxton's to lose)
- National DE (can Archibald hold off 2023 top pick Bemiy?)
David
Team Captain

Thank you B.C.FAN! These reports are much appreciated. The Lions have made their first round of cuts. The big name is someone who never even wore the uniform. Stove Richardson. Also:

American WR Justice Murphy
American DB Jaiden Cole
American OL Syrus Tuitele
American K Casey Bednarski
Global LS John Levi Kruse

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Main training camp kicked off Sunday morning under the hot Kamloops sun with 96 players on the Day 1 roster. One player who is not on the roster is RB Vance McShane, who was expected to be one of five running backs battling to replace James Butler. He missed rookie camp and failed to show up for the start of main camp and has been placed on the suspended list. Veteran DB Garry Peters was also absent but is expected to arrive later.

Sunday's 3.5-hour practice was listed as a walkthrough but was a spirited double practice with several team sessions, including no huddle.

There were no surprises among those taking first-team reps on offence. Antonio Williams lined up at RB as he did in rookie camp, backed up by Buddy Howell, Raymond Calais and Taquan Mizzell. All four players have shown skill and quickness. WR Keon Hatcher lined up at Bryan Burnham's old slotback position, where he played half of the 2022 season, but was a limited participant on Day 1. National WRs Daniel Petermann and free agent Justin McInnis shared first-team reps at Hatcher's position. Here is the full first-team offence:

LT Jarell Broxton
LG David Knevel
C Michael Couture, wearing Peter Godber's old No. 51
RG Sukh Chungh
RT Kent Perkins
QB Vernon Adams
RB Buddy Howell
WR Lucky Whitehead, showing no effects from last year's ankle injury
SB Keon Hatcher (limited participant)
SB Jevon Cottoy
WR Dominique Rhymes
WR Alex Hollins

On defence, free agent Mike Jones took first-team reps at Garry Peters' CB position. Veteran FA Shawn Lemon took first reps at rush end. There were no surprises elsewhere:

CB Jalon Edwards-Cooper
HB T.J. Lee
S Quincy Mauger
HB Marcus Sayles
CB Mike Jones
SAM Manny Rugamba
LB Ben Hladik
LB Bo Lokombo
DE Mathieu Betts
DT Woody Baron
NT Josh Banks
DE Shawn Lemon

Last year the coaches rotated players at some positions on the first and second teams throughout camp so this depth chart may not hold, but historically the vast majority of players who start training camp on the first team will start the regular season there, barring injury. We'll watch and update the rotations daily.

The quarterback position is one where Dom Davis and Dane Evans have been rotating reps with the second and third teams behind Adams since the start of rookie camp. Today it was Evans taking second-team reps and Davis third team.

Adams had a tough time moving the ball against the first-team defence, unlike rookie camp where he found open receivers all over the field. Unofficially, I had him completing 6 of 14 passes, with 2 knockdowns by Rugamba and one by Baron at the line. The backup QBs fared better against a defence consisting of mainly rookies. Unofficially, Evans was 6 of 9, including a deep corner route to rookie WR Ayden Eberhardt. He also scrambled for a first down, got a nice sideline grab by Terry Williams (one of two such plays by Williams on the day) but also overthrew an open WR Bryson Doughtry on a deep ball behind coverage. Davis completed 8 of 13 passes unofficially, with two knockdowns by rookie CB Jaylon McClain-Sapp, who was impressive in rookie camp. Davis also had a deep ball dropped by rookie WR Jake Lampman. The offence all did pushups after the final team session.

Quarterbacks had more success in skelly. Adams went 9 of 13, including a leaping catch by Rhymes against Lee on a deep corner route that brought rousing applause from teammates and the smattering of spectators in the Hillside Stadium bleachers. He also got a one-handed grab by Cottoy that drew applause from players on sidelines. The hands team is back! Lee and Rugamba (again) had knockdowns against Adams in skelly. Evans completed 6 of 7 passes in skelly, including several checkdowns to his running back. Davis was 2 of 3, with a drop by Global SB Jevoni Robinson and a completion on a deep corner route to Kevin Shaa. Rookie QB Judd Erickson (not Kevin Thomson - my mistake) got limited reps on the day, going 2 for 4 with a drop by Shaa.

Special teams again weren't too special. Veterans Stefan Flintoft (wearing No. 11 instead of his old 41) and Sean Whyte took over main punting and kicking duties, and Flintoft stepped into his usual role as holder for Whyte. Long-snapping continues to be an adventure. After Dylan St. Pierre and John-Levi Kruse struggled in rookie camp, the Lions tried two new long snappers today, with similar results. Global LB Maxime Rouyer had 3 snaps skip on the turf, while DE Riley Pickett had two high snaps, one that skipped on the turf and one to the side of the punter. Special teams captain David Mackie took over long snapping on punts in the second half of practice and looked good. Rouyer continued to snap on field goals.