Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Doll's lack of signing does seem odd. Probably not a whole lot of negotiating to do there as I'm guessing longsnappers play for close to league minimum. Maybe he's considering non-football options before making a playing decision?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:50 am

And you're correct that they may not need a 2nd receiver to make ratio. If Knevel is 100% recovered he could well pick up right where he left off when he suffered that labrum injury, as starting LG, allowing a return to 3 NAT starters in the OL. Peirson, Zerr and Packer would seem to provide sufficient depth to easily support that. They will obviously have the 3 starters on D with Lokombo, Hladik and the Betts/Menard combo at DE.

Regardless Campbell and McEvoy continued to build on what was an obvious priority last offseason. They've done a great job adding quality depth that gives them flexibility and options should injuries occur to starters.
It's impressive what they are building. My guess is it's Knevel's job to lose at training camp but any signs he is struggling they can slot in Norman then go with an additional national at receiver (McInnis/Scarfone). Cherry's immediate impact allowed Josh Woods to get a lot of snaps at LB last year in certain situations.

Zerr and Archibald's progress will just add to that national depth as well as Ryder Varga's arrival.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:05 am
The Lions have confirmed the signing of former Montreal backup QB Dominique Davis to a one-year contract.
https://www.bclions.com/2023/02/14/lion ... que-davis/
Something I was totally unaware of until reading the "Continuity" article on the Lions website is that Dom Davis lives over on Vancouver Island.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:40 pm
Something I was totally unaware of until reading the "Continuity" article on the Lions website is that Dom Davis lives over on Vancouver Island.
Yes, I learned this about a month or so ago when Farhan posted it on Twitter. Yesterday, Rick Campbell revealed to Matt Sekeres that he fell in love with a Vancouver Island woman and moved out there. It made total sense to sign him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Who saw this coming? The Lions have acquired QB Dane Evans from Hamilton in exchange for a conditional 2024 fourth round draft pick. The quarterback room is getting crowded.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/02/23/lion ... -hamilton/

Thoughts on the trade from Dave Naylor:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Reports are a re-worked deal is all but finished with Dom Davis range hard money but a lot more in playtime incentives. More affordable than I would have predicted. If a 2nd year gets added which is often the case with re-worked deals BC could be set going into a Grey Cup hosting year with a 1-2 of Adams and Evans.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:52 pm
Reports are a re-worked deal is all but finished with Dom Davis range hard money but a lot more in playtime incentives. More affordable than I would have predicted. If a 2nd year gets added which is often the case with re-worked deals BC could be set going into a Grey Cup hosting year with a 1-2 of Adams and Evans.
I hadn't given QB any more thought other than it looked thin if the starter falters or gets nicked.

Dane Evans is a hard one to figure out as he's been on fired and then colder than a beer in a deep freeze if that makes sense.

He was working with a sports psychologist on mindset last year but it hadn't turned up on the field.

VA is the starter as the Lions say in the media release but hopefully, they could find a path to have both QBs play. All 3 for that matter if they used the third guy as a runner.

Not sure how Rick Campbell thinks on issues like that. Adams might not like it but Zach Collaros often sits out a down after a successful 3rd down gamble.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/23/b-c- ... iger-cats/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Unless they opt to dump Davis I suspect it is Evans and Davis competing for #2 with Davis staying as the short yardage guy win or lose the #2 battle.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:15 pm
Unless they opt to dump Davis I suspect it is Evans and Davis competing for #2 with Davis staying as the short yardage guy win or lose the #2 battle.
If only we had a #1
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
maxlion
Legend

I will have to dig up my posts from a few months ago where I raised the possibility of the Lions acquiring Dane Evans. :roar:

I like this move. I think Evans has the potential to be a good QB and he has something to prove. I would not be surprised if he takes over the starting job at some point during the season.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Evans did well when he shared duties with Masoli; neither of them were able to stay consistent and healthy long enough to accomplish anything on their own. Maybe Evans can work well with Adams (and Masoli with Arbuckle if he stays healthy).
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:15 pm
Perhaps you are right, but would that not mean dressing 3 QB's???
David
Team Captain

Love this acquisition! Dane Evans is a stud athlete. He thrived playing behind Masoli in 2019 (103.9 rating) and I view him as a very good quarterback. Last year as a starter not so much but that's okay. This is a good landing spot for him. He and VA play similar styles. Yes, Dane is 30 but does not have tons of wear and tear for a 30-year-old QB (just over a thousand pass attempts). Not a great TD-to-INT ratio but with the receiving weapons here should do a lot better.

Just c*ck-blocked the Argos with this deal. I am sure they thought they would wait for Hamilton to release him and scoop him up.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Might we see a trade with the Argos involving Evans ?
maxlion
Legend

I think we saw last year the type of offense Maksymic likes to run. Lots of short gain plays requiring quick reads and accurate throws. To me, that's more Evans' game than Adams. Adams is a risk taker and improviser. I bet Maksymic wanted this trade to happen.

Evans blew it as a starter last year. No one was going to give him a starter role this year. But if he can get his game back, he has potential to be the best QB in the league. I see this offense as the purrfect match for Evans' skill set. I think he will surprise some folks this year.