Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 pm
I thought Godber was very solid at C, and wondering if Couture is any better or will be cheaper ?

And with that Canadian O-Line depth in place, it likely negates the CFL good old way of draft another O-lineman for good ole "depth" purposes - so they go elsewhere with the 1st round pick they just got from the Argos ?
The Lions’ greatest needs for national depth are at RB, WR and DB. Depending on how the NFL draft shakes out, there should be good skill players available for B.C. with the No. 9 pick.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I thought Godber was very solid at C, and wondering if Couture is any better or will be cheaper ?

And with that Canadian O-Line depth in place, it likely negates the CFL good old way of draft another O-lineman for good ole "depth" purposes - so they go elsewhere with the 1st round pick they just got from the Argos ?
Godber was definitely solid at C in 2022. 2021? Not so much. While Godber was drafted 2 years after Couture he's only 6 months younger. I don't think Couture comes cheaper. Certainly with the NAT OL depth BC already has they aren't cornered into having to seriously consider an OL with either their 9th overall or 14th overall picks. Maybe if they had some long in the tooth vets they might have to think about drafting an OL but soon to turn 31 Chungh is the geezer amongst their NAT contingent and Couture who turned 29 two days ago is the next elder statesman.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I don't know if we've seen Godber's ceiling yet but Couture is widely regarded as one of the best centres in the league. And he can play guard if need be. He was named to the 2021 CFL Players’ Association All-Star Team (something I put more stock in than a media selection who really don't know line play all that well). One thing we don't know yet is how much of his stellar play is a result of an exceptional supporting cast. That Bomber Oline has been the league's best for several years now.

I thought Godber was BC's most-improved player last year. Solid. But in a way it's a backhanded compliment as he was often overmatched in his rookie year, continually getting holding penalties, grabbing on for dear life.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Couture will make it two BC boys drafted and nicely developed by the Bombers and the Lions paying a steep price to bring them home.
I was encouraged to see Godber's improved play last season as we have been a black hole in recent years for using top picks on offensive linemen (Kirby Fabian, Charles Vaillancourt) that don't pan out. Ironically, the one that did is Hunter Steward who they opted not to re-sign in 2022 and is now is pending FA again after 1 year with Ottawa.

Speaking of draft picks, 2021 4th overall pick DE Daniel Joseph makes his XFL debut next weekend 2 hours south with the Seattle Dragons. Not a peep if there was even effort to sign him although they currently are rich in national d-linemen talent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:05 am

Speaking of draft picks, 2021 4th overall pick DE Daniel Joseph makes his XFL debut next weekend 2 hours south with the Seattle Dragons. Not a peep if there was even effort to sign him although they currently are rich in national d-linemen talent.
Given he knows what his CFL pay cheque would max at he's probably not interested in talking to the Lions until he exhausts his options south of the border. He accepted a tryout offer with Buffalo last year and parlayed that into a contract. He did spend all of 2022 training camp with the Bills playing in all 3 preseason games. Trying the XFL out this spring will keep his NFL hopes for a 2023 chance alive. Signing with BC would close that door possibly forever. I believe he's already 25 meaning even 2 years in the CFL would put him at an age where NFL interests in CFL vets starts to quickly fade. It will be interesting to see if his play in the XFL this year earns him significant NFL interest for 2023 training camps. If it's crickets for that maybe he casts his eyes north.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:05 am

Given he knows what his CFL pay cheque would max at he's probably not interested in talking to the Lions until he exhausts his options south of the border. He accepted a tryout offer with Buffalo last year and parlayed that into a contract. He did spend all of 2022 training camp with the Bills playing in all 3 preseason games. Trying the XFL out this spring will keep his NFL hopes for a 2023 chance alive. Signing with BC would close that door possibly forever. I believe he's already 25 meaning even 2 years in the CFL would put him at an age where NFL interests in CFL vets starts to quickly fade. It will be interesting to see if his play in the XFL this year earns him significant NFL interest for 2023 training camps. If it's crickets for that maybe he casts his eyes north.
Who knows with some of these NCAA ball Canucks with regards to desire to play in the CFL (and of course they will try all NFL avenue$ first). A lot of CFL draft picks over the years have elected not to come up to the CFL after an NFL career of a few years even or even after a one year PR tour. Money and prestige in the CFL not much of an attraction these days and for younger guys nowdays who were raised on NFL hype, some of them might view the CFL as "minor league" -it's what the CFL has been up against in it's own country for decades now - pity, eh ? :wag:

Couple of good signs recently on that front though: O-Lineman Ryan Hunter reported to the Argos (drafted him out of NCAA ball) after a few years in the NFL (PRs some but also on some game rosters so he earned some decent cash) - he ended up starting soon after joining the Argos and helped their O-line be part of a GC win. And Als got O-Lineman P-O Lestage (drafted out of Montreal Carabins where he would have played for Maciocia) after a one year NFL PR stint with the Seahawks - he ended up claiming a starting OG job with the Als by mid season.

This year's draft has a number of Canadian NCAA players who seem like very good bets to draw serious to at least modest NFL interest. And recently, CFL GMs are laying off drafting those types all together, whereas in the past they would draft them - sometimes late round flyer picks but also early - and the Lions got burned with a number of those draft picks many moons ago (OJ, Atogwe, Ian Beckles, Greg Lotysz & Rob Meier (in the same draft!) and a few others - Tony Mandarich included)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:17 am
This year's draft has a number of Canadian NCAA players who seem like very good bets to draw serious to at least modest NFL interest. And recently, CFL GMs are laying off drafting those types all together, whereas in the past they would draft them - sometimes late round flyer picks but also early - and the Lions got burned with a number of those draft picks many moons ago (OJ, Atogwe, Ian Beckles, Greg Lotysz & Rob Meier (in the same draft!) and a few others - Tony Mandarich included)
Apples and oranges comparing those days to now. These days the CFL Draft is held after the NFL Draft with the eligibility of players also lining up. No more having to make draft decisions on players not knowing how their NFL stock might wind up sometimes a year later. Atogwe and Meier were drafted in the CFL Draft a year before playing their senior seasons and a full year before being eligible for the NFL Draft. Beckles and Lotysz were both taken in the CFL Draft same year as they were eligible for the NFL Draft but it was held after the CFL Draft back then. Mandarich was a much better known commodity back with expectations being he'd go high in his 1989 NFL draft year hence the use of a "flyer" 7th round pick in the 1988 CFL Draft.

These days the CFL Draft is positioned so GMs go into it knowing if the prospect was chosen in the NFL Draft, signed as a UDFA or accepted an NFL tryout. Circa 2000 CFL teams were working with a lot of unknowns when making decisions. Those are now known factors.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have extended Woody Baron by a year through 2024. I assume the extension comes with a 2023 pay cut, perhaps in return for some performance bonuses or guaranteed money in Year 2. Baron signed in free agency last year for a reported $190,000 a year. He missed most of last season with an ankle injury, recording just 7 tackles and a sack in 6 late-season games.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... -b-c-lions
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:48 am
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:17 am
Apples and oranges comparing those days to now. These days the CFL Draft is held after the NFL Draft with the eligibility of players also lining up. No more having to make draft decisions on players not knowing how their NFL stock might wind up sometimes a year later. Atogwe and Meier were drafted in the CFL Draft a year before playing their senior seasons and a full year before being eligible for the NFL Draft. Beckles and Lotysz were both taken in the CFL Draft same year as they were eligible for the NFL Draft but it was held after the CFL Draft back then. Mandarich was a much better known commodity back with expectations being he'd go high in his 1989 NFL draft year hence the use of a "flyer" 7th round pick in the 1988 CFL Draft.

These days the CFL Draft is positioned so GMs go into it knowing if the prospect was chosen in the NFL Draft, signed as a UDFA or accepted an NFL tryout. Circa 2000 CFL teams were working with a lot of unknowns when making decisions. Those are now known factors.
That's exactly what I was saying re apples & oranges, but maybe you know better how to put it. :juggle:

Yep - a lot more clarity now for CFL GMs and draft thinkers with regards to NFL interest; but teams still have the option of rolling the dice or calculating risk to pick a Canadian who is likely NFL bound. The Stamps used a later round pick on Chuba Hubbard when it was obvious he was NFL bound, but Huff often has lots of draft picks stock-piled so he has other prospects coming in and Hubbard would just end up a nice bonus if he ever shows. But their 1st round pick that draft - LB Ogbongemiga - ended up making the Chargers even though he was not seen as a good NFL prospect by NFL draft gurus - so burned there.

But still hard to gauge the attitiude of young Canadians and their regard for ever playing in the CFL if they have an NFL sniff. Lots of these guys could have decided to come up to play in the CFL after 2 or 3 NFL seasons (like Hunter just did for the Argos). I guess a Richard Mercier or Brett Romberg type either had no use for the CFL - playing in the big pro league in their own country (sorry to those NFL fan-boys who can't grasp that) - or didn't need the money or maybe had some injury issues that saw them give up on pro ball fairly early, or just had little respect for the CFL? Hard to say or know ?
David
Team Captain

Woody re-upped through '24. :good:

Any word on Tanner Doll? He seems to be the forgotten man in free agency discussions thus far.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:39 am
Woody re-upped through '24. :good:

Any word on Tanner Doll? He seems to be the forgotten man in free agency discussions thus far.

He's one I'm really pulling for. He's done a great job at long snapper not just in that aspect but also getting downfield in coverage. I also love the loyalty his parents show. I've seen them sporting their Doll #40 jerseys at Lion home games, at training camp in Kamloops and most recently in the Lions Den at GC in Regina.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I see pictures of Michael O'Connor training with Rob Williams in North Van!

My advice to him would be to speed up his decision making - especially given BC's offense.
But isn't that what coaches are supposed to do? lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Clash Dance
Rookie

I just saw on Twitter someone saying Stove Richardson retired. Not Fahan or Abbot so hoping just a fan's opinion. Has anyone heard this?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Clash Dance wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:03 pm
I just saw on Twitter someone saying Stove Richardson retired. Not Fahan or Abbot so hoping just a fan's opinion. Has anyone heard this?
Farhan indeed tweeted “I don’t expect him to play again.”
Damn. Extremely disappointing. He is only 25 or 26.
He must have fully ruptured his Achilles for a 2nd time or close enough for doctors to say it’s a risk for it to keep happening even after being surgically repaired.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:57 pm
Clash Dance wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:03 pm
Farhan indeed tweeted “I don’t expect him to play again.”
Damn. Extremely disappointing. He is only 25 or 26.
He must have fully ruptured his Achilles for a 2nd time or close enough for doctors to say it’s a risk for to keep happening even after being surgically repaired.
That would be terribly disappointing but moreso for Stove than me. Maybe that explains the Josh Banks extension with so much depth already in place including Stove.