Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

johnchow604 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 pm
Speaking of CFL Qb's in the NFL, congrats to Chris Streveler on a pretty good performance today for the Jets.
He did move the O up and down the field OK but his passing accuracy is still not great and on a couple of occasions when he did place the ball exactly where it needed to be, his receivers dropped the ball.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:03 am
johnchow604 wrote:
Speaking of CFL Qb's in the NFL, congrats to Chris Streveler on a pretty good performance today for the Jets.
He did move the O up and down the field OK but his passing accuracy is still not great and on a couple of occasions when he did place the ball exactly where it needed to be, his receivers dropped the ball.
I recall at least 2 drops which means he couldn't have misfired too much. He still completed 10 of 15. If White still is out next week one wonders if NYJ won't really roll the dice and start Streveler given Wilson's performance and that they skipped over Flacco when they changed things up. They may have just been playing a coach's hunch that Streveler had another amazing come from behind performance in his back pocket.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

There's a tweet from Moj saying the Bucs were in the lead for Rourke.

"What better person to learn under than Tom Brady."

Uh, Tom's contract is up after this season and he won't be there.

But that coaching staff will, and good luck with that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Yeah he could learn how to pout and whine on the field and rip his team mates new ones in the sidelines. Agreed though Cro. Brady will either be elsewhere or retired next year. If he and the rest of the NFL are smart it will be the latter. He's resembled an Old Goat far more often than The Goat this season. Father Time has him wrapped up and is starting to bring him down to the turf.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The risk for Rourke is any NFL team that is thinking of replacing a starter (Tom Brady with the Buccaneers, Zach Wilson with the Jets, Derek Carr with the Raiders) will likely look at drafting and developing a long-term replacement. Rourke won't know what he's walking into until long after he has to make his decision.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:24 pm
The risk for Rourke is any NFL team that is thinking of replacing a starter (Tom Brady with the Buccaneers, Zach Wilson with the Jets, Derek Carr with the Raiders) will likely look at drafting and developing a long-term replacement. Rourke won't know what he's walking into until long after he has to make his decision.
It seems like a good year for teams to draft their long-term QB solutions. The latest mock draft on Walter Football from yesterday has the Texans, Colts and Panthers going QB in the 1st round. In the 2nd round they are predicting QBs for the Falcons, Saints and Commanders. In the 3rd it's the Broncos, Jets and Vikings. Mock drafts can be taken with a salt lick sized grain of salt but nonetheless that's 9 teams guesstimated to be addressing QB needs in just the first 3 rounds. Whether or not that actually happens or not Rourke won't know until the end of April but it does speak to a very deep draft at QB.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:18 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:24 pm
It seems like a good year for teams to draft their long-term QB solutions. The latest mock draft on Walter Football from yesterday has the Texans, Colts and Panthers going QB in the 1st round. In the 2nd round they are predicting QBs for the Falcons, Saints and Commanders. In the 3rd it's the Broncos, Jets and Vikings. Mock drafts can be taken with a salt lick sized grain of salt but nonetheless that's 9 teams guesstimated to be addressing QB needs in just the first 3 rounds. Whether or not that actually happens or not Rourke won't know until the end of April but it does speak to a very deep draft at QB.
The wealth of college QBs in the NFL draft is another reason I think Rourke should spend 2023 gaining more experience playing as a starter in the CFL vs clip board holder in the NFL. The high draft picks get more oppourtunities/more playing time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:30 pm

The wealth of college QBs in the NFL draft is another reason I think Rourke should spend 2023 gaining more experience playing as a starter in the CFL vs clip board holder in the NFL. The high draft picks get more oppourtunities/more playing time.
I don't know if that would make much difference. Last year's NFL draft was one of the weakest in years for QBs. As such it was speculated that a lot of teams who really needed a young QB prospect simply passed in hopes of landing one this year. Next year has some more studs coming down the pipeline with USC's Caleb Williams already projected to go first overall.

I think with what we know about Rourke is that he's an outstanding student as witnessed by how he turned his clipboard duty in 2021 into the electric performance he put in this season. And yes I realize he was getting all those 1st team reps in practice due to Reilly's injury issues. With that I think he would be like a sponge soaking up anything and everything in meetings and practices as an NFL backup. He wouldn't get the 1st team reps he enjoyed as a CFL rookie but he'd still prepare like he's starting on Sunday. IMO that would make him just as prepared to contribute down there a year from now than if he stayed another year up here.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm pretty much firmly in the camp that Nathan Rourke won't be back in the CFL.

johnchow604 wrote:
I was surprised to read at 3 Down Nation at how low the NFL pension was that he's been working his butt off for.

By activating for the Seattle game he hits a milestone:
According to sources, the move officially makes Streveler vested in the NFL pension plan, which provides $19,800 USD annually for life. Compensation is supposed to increase to $22,000 USD annually in 2025 based on expected upward trends in league revenue.
Granted he makes more I suppose than here in the CFL.

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/31/new- ... ight-week/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Correct me if I'm wrong but while the $19.8K seems low wouldn't Streveler be able to start collecting that almost immediately after retiring from the NFL? Who knows by the time he turns 65 it could be $100K annually.
Qman
Champion

Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:40 pm
Tks Q!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Add the KC Chiefs to Rourke's magical not-so-mystery tour. I guess they've gotten over their last experience with a BC QB. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:44 am
Add the KC Chiefs to Rourke's magical not-so-mystery tour. I guess they've gotten over their last experience with a BC QB. :wink:
Should someone remind them? :wink:

I can’t see any opportunity for Rourke to get playing time in KC unless Patrick Mahomes suffers a catastrophic injury. I just don’t think Rourke wants to spend his career as an NFL clipboard-holder.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I agree and disagree re: KC. Obviously Mahomes isn't going anywhere any time soon. However he is at the right sort of age and experience where KC doesn't need to consider drafting a good proapect to groom anf they don't need a seasoned NFL vet at #2 in case he struggles. I think they could be quite willing to bring somebody like Rourke in to be #2 which is what he covets. A coaching staff led by Andy Reid with Eric Bienemy as OC and Matt Nagy as QBC would also have to be attractive altgougj Bienemy has to be near the top of several teams' lists for HC vacancies after the usual Black Monday firings. All it would take is Mahomes making a zig when he should have zagged in one of his schoolyard scampers and next man up hits the field.