2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:25 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:09 pm
Looks like my top 5 honourable mention Ucambre Williams is heading to Ottawa.
https://3downnation.com/2022/02/06/redb ... -williams/

There have been other rumours linking Hunter Steward to Ottawa too.
The Redblacks are winning free agency if all the report are true: Jeremiah Masoli, Darius Ciraco and possibly Jaelon Acklin from Hamilton, Kwaku Boateng from Edmonton, William Powell from Saskatchewan, Ucambre Williams from Calgary, Hunter Steward from B.C. and Llevi Noel from Toronto.
I updated my list of pending FA OL in the other thread splitting out Williams, Korte and Lawrence as committed elsewhere other than BC. It's now down to 18 names. Lion and Rider fans have been vocal about needs to upgrade their OL. I would assume Ottawa fans feel the same. Not surprisingly 11 of the 18 names listed as still available come from those 3 rosters
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

I just had a ?ok at
Urifous hilites from the rides last 3 years. Wow a omNe man wrecking crew. Hard hitting and loves the physical stuff. Receivers playing against us better keep their heads up
Reg18
Starter

And if Trevor Harris comes with achip on his shoulder he could be a great addition. A reset to his career. He's always had a good srm especially on medium to deep throws
Reg18
Starter

I'm waiting to hear about Sean Whyte. We need him and I worry that he might get away for a better offer if lons try to cheap out.
Reg18
Starter

Purifoys hilites in dask. Wowz! He's a one man wrecking crew. !oved contact. Very fast.he should make an immediate impact on our D
Reg18
Starter

So we should end up with purifoy, Whyte and trevoOr Harris and maybe lose hunter Stewart. We do have the right to match his offer. I wonder if we will try to keep him
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:35 pm
I just had a ?ok at
Urifous hilites from the rides last 3 years. Wow a omNe man wrecking crew. Hard hitting and loves the physical stuff. Receivers playing against us better keep their heads up
whats this new language you be sometimes talkin?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:25 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:09 pm
Looks like my top 5 honourable mention Ucambre Williams is heading to Ottawa.
https://3downnation.com/2022/02/06/redb ... -williams/

There have been other rumours linking Hunter Steward to Ottawa too.
The Redblacks are winning free agency if all the report are true: Jeremiah Masoli, Darius Ciraco and possibly Jaelon Acklin from Hamilton, Kwaku Boateng from Edmonton, William Powell from Saskatchewan, Ucambre Williams from Calgary, Hunter Steward from B.C. and Llevi Noel from Toronto.
I updated my list of pending FA OL in the other thread splitting out Williams, Korte and Lawrence as committed elsewhere other than BC. It's now down to 18 names. Lion and Rider fans have been vocal about needs to upgrade their OL. I would assume Ottawa fans feel the same. Not surprisingly 11 of the 18 names listed as still available come from those 3 rosters
Would Cody Speller be an upgrade at centre over Godber? Not even sure why he sat out last season but part-time starter with Bombers in 2019.
Must be slim pickings when Ryker Matthews seems to be at or near the top of teams' wish list for American tackles. When I was at a practice in late October he was doing light running on the side and nothing else. Would be a a huge gamble unless it's a playing time incentive deal.

Work is going to a major distraction come Tuesday at 9 a.m.!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:39 pm
I'm waiting to hear about Sean Whyte. We need him and I worry that he might get away for a better offer if lons try to cheap out.
You don't need to worry. Whyte is a good as locked up. Realistically his personal options were stay in Edmonton or come home to BC to finish his career living in his own White Rock home while starting his efforts towards his post career objective of being a full time firefighter in the lower mainland. Those were the only two places he would possibly consider in 2022.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:49 pm
Reg18 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:35 pm
I just had a ?ok at
whats this new language you be sometimes talkin?
Not to worry. Reg is working hard at it and I think loses the battle with his phone. I know I do the same typing stuff out then after posting have to go back and edit all the errors mostly caused by my Samsung's autocorrect and flakey sensitive keys. I so miss the keyboard on my Blackberry.

Translation is simple: I just looked at Purifoy's hilites from the last 3 years. Wow a one man wrecking crew.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:58 pm

Would Cody Speller be an upgrade at centre over Godber? Not even sure why he sat out last season but part-time starter with Bombers in 2019.
I wouldn't want to bank the farm there. Yes he started at C in the playoffs mostly because the Bombers had to. Couture got hurt in the season finale. All of.his regular season starts were at guard. He was undrafted, played 2 games in 2018 and 13 + playoffs in 2019. No idea why he didn't play after going to Toronto. Only thing I can find is he was suspended at the start of training camp. My guess is it was an opt out due to Covid thing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If the Lions want to start an all-Canadian backfield, the return of 35-year-old Andrew Harris may be their best option at RB. Hamilton has re-signed Sean Thomas-Erlington and B.C. high school product Maleek Irons. Winnipeg has re-signed Brady Oliveira.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:52 pm
If the Lions want to start an all-Canadian backfield, the return of 35-year-old Andrew Harris may be their best option at RB. Hamilton has re-signed Sean Thomas-Erlington and B.C. high school product Maleek Irons. Winnipeg has re-signed Brady Oliveira.
Best option? Might be the only option. Pickings are slim for a NAT TB on the FA market. There's Anthony Coombs in Ottawa and Ante Milanovich-Litre and William Langlais in Calgary. That's it.

AML, who is a local product, is the only one really worth considering and he might be more suitable to work in tandem with someone like Harris as opposed to tandeming with Lyles. Actually Harris and AML might make for a very effective tandem. He was sneaky good coming off the bench to spell Carey with 292 yards on 81 carries over 31 games in 2019 & 2021. Coombs has been used more as a receiving option out of the backfield than as a runner and is too injury prone. Langlais is a special teams guy who has 1 career carry in 88 career games.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Champion

Harris missed a number of games late in the year. He seemed to be running hard when he came back into play. Will water injury he had (I don't recall what it was) affect the bidding from Winnipeg or other teams?

Tune in tomorrow....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Dave Naylor, Kenny Lawler has committed to Edmonton’s offer of $300,000. If that happens, I’m happy. The Lions have a great receiving corps with Whitehead, Burnham, Rhymes and Cottoy. They can start anyone at the fifth receiver spot and still be the best unit in the league.