Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Very pleased the kid starts at QB. Finally something fresh.

Glad to have Burnham and Whitehead signed.

We NEED a pass rush. Badly. Please make that the new priority #1
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:54 pm

I would like to see them make a much improved oline the new priority
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:01 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:54 pm

I would like to see them make a much improved oline the new priority
If they don't get extended before free agency there are some nice pieces out there who could vastly improve the pass rush. I'm not sure they can do much more than tweak the OL through free agency. Some quality at C but not much at the tackles.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:25 am
Almost $400,000 on 2 American receivers when was the last time we did that?
When was the last time we were paying $80,000 for our starting QB? :shock:
BC 1988
Legend

Very encouraging interview with Burnham. Says Rourke's dedication to training and learning last season was a factor in his re-signing. Admitted he didn't expect to return if (Mike not Michael :wink: ) Reilly's retirement had not freed up cap space, and likely would have gone to HAM. Excited to be part of a one-two punch with Whitehead. Very honest about how he reached a low point last season emotionally.
https://www.bclions.com/2022/01/28/janu ... n-burnham/
Dusty
Champion

Very illuminating interview. Makes me very glad Bryan is back. I especially loved Andrew Peirson asking "the tough questions" at the end of it!! Great stuff.

JC Abbott has more on Bryan's last year too.....

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/28/ther ... e-in-2021/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Now is when things get interesting. I think we all had Whitehead and Burnham at the top of our to be extended wish list. Cottoy not far behind but he may be headed south.

Will any other player be extended between now and when the free agency window opens? Are the Lions content to walk away from the 4 unsigned o-linemen that were all starters or projected starters last season? Two of which were among the top 10 paid in the league.

Hambone is right. Would Burnham still have been extended with a raise if Reilly didn’t retire? If that was shifting most of Durant’s salary to him then how much more will they spend on national receivers?

Who are they targeting for d-line help and at how many of the 4 positions? Extending Lee gives them a solid veteran presence in the secondary. Will Peters join him?

Elks radio guy Dave Campbell reporting national DE Kwaku Boateng very unlikely to be re-signed by Jones. Is he on BCs radar? He won’t be cheap.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:36 pm

Will any other player be extended between now and when the free agency window opens? Are the Lions content to walk away from the 4 unsigned o-linemen that were all starters or projected starters last season? Two of which were among the top 10 paid in the league.
Last year there were roughly 21 players across the CFL who extended with their teams during the legal "tampering" window and another 4 or 5 who re-signed with their old club on the first day of free agency. Lions in that group of 25 or 26 were Burnham, Doll, Guzylak-Messam, Konar and Rainey. The first 3 in that list have already been extended. No doubt Rainey's days in BC are done. Konar is probably on the bubble but possibly to retire if he doesn't return to the Lions. There are a few depth NAT LBs such as the Herdman-Reed twins who might be on their radar.

I don't know where they are going re: the OL. I do believe they will let Figueroa go leaving it down to Steward, Godber and Matthews. Godber's future may be tied to their interest and success in pursuing guys like Couture, Ciraco and maybe Ucambre Williams and Korte. If the Lions intend on pursuing those guys as upgrades at C (and Williams possibly at LT) then there's no sense in extending Godber now. Best to wait to see how those things shake out as they greatly impact the contract value for Godber; starting C versus a backup interior line depth role.
David
Team Captain

We have the shortest list of FAs in the league. Irrespective of Cottoy who's his own unique case (trying out down south), and given that they seem to have cut Durant loose, I would now put our FA priorities as follows:

* Garry Peters (number of knockdowns on the corner last year make this signing a priority)
* Shaq Johnson (solid and dependable. Would not break the bank for him though given how many $$ are tied up in the receiver position)
* Peter Godber (thought he had a below-average 2021 campaign but still young and high draft pick. If we have targeted Couture, this moves down)
* Hunter Steward (not the stud guard we all thought he'd be but worth keeping)
* Anthony Cioffi (misused. Could be a solid safety. Aggressive tackler)
* Joel Figueroa (injuries have taken their toll. Probably moving on but still a solid presence)
* Adam Konar (strong leader and special teamer)
* Devier Posey (if the price is right and willing to play a backup role)
* Anthony Thompson (has fallen in and out of favor. Several times)
* JR Tavai (would be surprised if he is re-signed. Disappointing year but maybe just an off-year? Only at backup price)
* Alex Bazzie (decent back-up piece if price is right but I hope we can find better)

(not much need for the rest including Rainey).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I want to see a balanced 9 team league as much as possible. What the hell are the Red Blacks doing? They must have a ton of cap space and I’ve only heard of more potential departures than arrivals. Surely, Masoli must be headed there and some other high priced FAs. They also seemed likely the most logical landing spot for a receiver like Lawlor, with an offer the Bombers couldn’t touch.

Have also heard a couple times Rourke will count as one of BC’s 7 required nationals. I know that was somewhat of a controversial rule in the past. Has it changed for QBs? It would at least better explain loading up on high priced American receivers.

With Whitehead, Burnham, Lawlor and Grymes, they might as well make the re-signed Jacob Sacrfone the 5th receiver.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the surprises continue in BC. So where or will they be upgrading on the offensive line?

“Veteran Offensive Lineman Joel Figueroa Signs Extension With Lions

@(Vancouver)- The BC Lions announced this morning that veteran offensive lineman Joel Figueroa has signed a contract extension. He was eligible to become a free agent next week.”

Durant has also signed a 1 year deal with Hamilton.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:01 am
And the surprises continue in BC. So where or will they be upgrading on the offensive line?

“Veteran Offensive Lineman Joel Figueroa Signs Extension With Lions

@(Vancouver)- The BC Lions announced this morning that veteran offensive lineman Joel Figueroa has signed a contract extension. He was eligible to become a free agent next week.”

Durant has also signed a 1 year deal with Hamilton.
So much for my personal belief on Figs. As much as he's a warrior I thought BC would look in another direction given how many times he got dinged up during 2021 games.

I still say there just isn't the talent available in free agency for BC to upgrade their OL other than at the center position. Tackle is especially lean.

Numbers at end are age, 2021 GP and starts in brackets:
BCL GODBER, Peter* N C Rice 27 14(14)
BCL MATHEWS, Ryker A T Brigham Young 29 1(1)
BCL STEWARD, Hunter* N G Liberty 30 14(14)
CGY KASITATI, Nila A T Oklahoma 28 7(7) Right tackle
CGY LAWRENCE, Justin* N G Alberta 25 7(4)
CGY WILLIAMS, Ucambre A C/T South Alabama 29 11(10) LT since late 2019.
EDM O’DONNELL, Matt* N G Queen’s 32 14(14) LG but has played tackle
EDM RENFROW, Justin A T Miami 32 8(7) One time Lion
EDM WASHINGTON, Tony A T Abilene Christian 36 12(12)
HAM CIRACO, Darius* N C Calgary 26 12(12) Burlington kid.
HAM GIBBON, Jesse* N G Waterloo 25 14(2) Backup G/C
HAM OKAFOR, Kay* N G/T St. Francis Xavier 29 8(8) LT starts in 2021
MTL GIRARD, Mathieu* N G Montreal 30 4(0) Montreal kid.
MTL SCHLEUGER, Chris A T Alabama Birm 26 3(2) 13GP 2019.
OTT CATALINA, Tyler A T Georgia 28 6(6) 2021 rookie RT
OTT FONTANA, Alex* N G Kansas 29 0(0) Didn't play in 2021.Personal
OTT KORTE, Mark* N C Alberta 25 13(13)
OTT MACMILLAN, Nolan* N G Iowa 31 7(7) Right guard. Ottawa kid.
OTT MCGLOSTER, Jamar A T Syracuse 26 5(5) 2021 rookie
SSK BOYKO, Brett* N T UNLV 29 8(8)
SSK COFIELD, Takoby A T Duke 30 0(0) Suspended list in 2021
SSK Jefferson, Cameron A T Arkansas 29 9(9) May have retired.
SSK ST. JOHN, Josiah* N G/T Oklahoma 29 14(1)
TOR SPELLER, Cody* N C/G McMaster 27 0(0) Suspended list in 2021
WPG ELI, Tavita* N G Hawaii 26 14(4)

Edited to remove Couture.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed Joel Figueroa so the 2022 O-line is starting to look a lot like the 2021 line. I like Figs. He’s a great character guy who was hampered by injuries last year. I thought the team might move on from him for that reason. I just hope he comes back healthy.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:08 am
The Lions have re-signed Joel Figueroa so the 2022 O-line is starting to look a lot like the 2021 line. I like Figs. He’s a great character guy who was hampered by injuries last year. I thought the team might move on from him for that reason. I just hope he comes back healthy.
As Hambone has pointed out, there are few LT options in free agency, so what choice do the Lions have but hope for a Figueroa that can remain healthy in 2022. And try to find some rookies that the NFL has passed on, which is always a bit of a crap shoot. Although there are lots of US free agents, CFL rosters are not big enough for the most part, to develop American players.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:03 pm

As Hambone has pointed out, there are few LT options in free agency, so what choice do the Lions have but hope for a Figueroa that can remain healthy in 2022. And try to find some rookies that the NFL has passed on, which is always a bit of a crap shoot. Although there are lots of US free agents, CFL rosters are not big enough for the most part, to develop American players.
The way the ratio works next starter up NATs are kept on the 46. Next starter up Americans are kept on the PR. QBs get more leeway there as they typically go from PR to backup. More often than not American positional players go from PR to starting.