Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:26 am
Andrew Peirson has twice (the last two active years--2019 & 2021) been nominated for the CFLPA's annual Tom Pate Award, for community service, on behalf of the Lions. It's likely fair to say that the Lions and community would miss his contributions there. Regards his playing time--all I know (from his bio) is that he did start for 5 games plus a playoff game in 2018 due to injuries to regular starters.
Also in 2018 when he was starting all he was doing was snap the ball and block. Steward was the one calling out the blocking assignments. That no doubt begat the short-lived early 2019 experiment of Steward starting at center. That notwithstanding it seems odd to me to be dressing 2 backup OL with Knevel backing up LT, LG, RG and RT and Peirson there only to be Godber's backup. I guess though in the grand scheme of the ratio when you have to use 2 DI spots for kickers you do have extra NAT spots available for such luxuries.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has released its official list of prospective free agents. The Lions have 27 players on the list. The Grey Cup champion Blue Bombers have 48. Let the speculation begin.

https://www.cfl.ca/official-2022-free-agent-tracker/
David
Team Captain

My Top 5 FA priorities:

1) Lucky Whitehead
2) Jevon Cottoy
3) Bryan Burnham
4) TJ Lee
5) Garry Peters

Some may think I am crazy for putting Cottoy ahead of Burnham but I am looking at Cottoy's potential. I don't believe he has hit his ceiling yet whereas Burnham, as spectacular as he is, will be turning 32 in April. Honorable mention to Hunter Steward (as my #6). We need to re-tool the Oline but we can't afford a complete overhaul. Some parts need to be retained.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:35 pm
My Top 5 FA priorities:

1) Lucky Whitehead
2) Jevon Cottoy
3) Bryan Burnham
4) TJ Lee
5) Garry Peters

Some may think I am crazy for putting Cottoy ahead of Burnham but I am looking at Cottoy's potential. I don't believe he has hit his ceiling yet whereas Burnham, as spectacular as he is, will be turning 32 in April. Honorable mention to Hunter Steward (as my #6). We need to re-tool the Oline but we can't afford a complete overhaul. Some parts need to be retained.

I agree with that assessment David.
Still shaking my head that we could lose Whitehead after 1 season. How on earth are you suppose to sell $200 jerseys with players' names anymore.

Does anyone remember Kenny Lawlor attending TC in 2018 and how he looked in pre-season? He has mentioned a few times he has a chip on his shoulder when he plays the Lions because they released him. Back then we had Burnham, Manny and Ricky Collins as our featured American receivers. Manny got hurt and Posey was acquired midway through the season.

Lawlor had a pretty impressive resumé when he signed here as a 6-foot-3 receiver from Cal, Seahawks 7th round draft pick and 2 years on their practice roster before being released and heading north.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:32 am
Does anyone remember Kenny Lawlor attending TC in 2018 and how he looked in pre-season? He has mentioned a few times he has a chip on his shoulder when he plays the Lions because they released him. Back then we had Burnham, Manny and Ricky Collins as our featured American receivers. Manny got hurt and Posey was acquired midway through the season.

Lawlor had a pretty impressive resumé when he signed here as a 6-foot-3 receiver from Cal, Seahawks 7th round draft pick and 2 years on their practice roster before being released and heading north.
Lawler was third on the depth chart at slotback behind Manny Arceneaux and ex-Argo Kevin Elliott at 2018 training camp. To get reps at that position is a sign of respect for his potential but it’s nearly impossible to make the roster when you’re behind two veterans, with Bryan Burnham on the opposite side. Lawler was noticeable and made some good catches in camp and at the FanFest scrimmage but not enough to overtake the veterans ahead him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed punter Stefan Flintoft to a contract extension. He led the league with a 48.3-yard punting average and was third in net punting average. He also handled kickoffs and held for field goals. He is a good field goal kicker himself and can serve as an emergency backup at least.

There has been speculation that White Rock native Sean Whyte is interested in returning to B.C. in free agency to kick field goals, which would free up an American roster position. Whyte doesn’t punt.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/12/23/stef ... ion-lions/
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:36 pm
The Lions have signed punter Stefan Flintoft to a contract extension. He led the league with a 48.3-yard punting average and was third in net punting average. He also handled kickoffs and held for field goals. He is a good field goal kicker himself and can serve as an emergency backup at least.

There has been speculation that White Rock native Sean Whyte is interested in returning to B.C. in free agency to kick field goals, which would free up an American roster position. Whyte doesn’t punt.

I would be happy with a Whyte/Flintoft combo in 2022. That would be a very solid K/P duo.

I wonder what this means for Global punter Jake Ford? I thought he started off okay, but had trouble in his 2nd (and final) game with placement, ending up with a 42.9-yard punting average, one of those games even being in the thin Calgary air. He never saw the field again. Ford was drafted 1st overall in the 2021 Global Draft, but I didn't think he was as good as Calgary's Cody Grace who had a strong rookie campaign (45.6-yard average). He was taken #7 overall in the same draft.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

:tease:
David wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:21 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:36 pm

I would be happy with a Whyte/Flintoft combo in 2022. That would be a very solid K/P duo.

I wonder what this means for Global punter Jake Ford? I thought he started off okay, but had trouble in his 2nd (and final) game with placement, ending up with a 42.9-yard punting average, one of those games even being in the thin Calgary air. He never saw the field again. Ford was drafted 1st overall in the 2021 Global Draft, but I didn't think he was as good as Calgary's Cody Grace who had a strong rookie campaign (45.6-yard average). He was taken #7 overall in the same draft.

I think the plan was to stick with Ford but he had to leave Canada for a while to sort out visa issues, and by the time that was done Flintoft had taken hold of the job. Not sure why the visa situation hadn't been worked out before the season, though it's likely that the pandemic and travel restrictions had something to do with that.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed RG Sukh Chungh for 2022. I’m not surprised at the signing but I’d like to know the size of his contract before passing judgment.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/12/28/lion ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:03 am
The Lions have re-signed RG Sukh Chungh for 2022. I’m not surprised at the signing but I’d like to know the size of his contract before passing judgment.

Well the 3Down list of 10 highest paid OL had him listed #7 at $165K prorated down to $139K for the shortened season. Of course who knows how accurate that is given the paragraph written on him said "he played all 9 games at right tackle this season". I presume "this season" was referring to 2019. I'd like to think his new deal calls for something more like that prorated number of $139K but for 18 games.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:

Well the 3Down list of 10 highest paid OL had him listed #7 at $165K prorated down to $139K for the shortened season. Of course who knows how accurate that is given the paragraph written on him said "he played all 9 games at right tackle this season". I presume "this season" was referring to 2019. I'd like to think his new deal calls for something more like that prorated number of $139K but for 18 games.
Chungh played right guard for the Lions. I thought that was what he played for the Bombers in 2019, not tackle.

And what does "all" 9 games even mean? The writer of the 3Down article has credibility issues, so who knows if the salaries listed are accurate?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:45 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:

Chungh played right guard for the Lions. I thought that was what he played for the Bombers in 2019, not tackle.

And what does "all" 9 games even mean? The writer of the 3Down article has credibility issues, so who knows if the salaries listed are accurate?
Chungh has always played guard in Winnipeg and BC unless an injury to a tackle during a game forced him to finish the game at tackle. All 9 I think refers to 2019 as he only played 9 games then.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yes, would really like to know how low Chungh was willing to go to skip free agency.
Was grossly overpaid by Hervey in 2019 then agreed to the re-structured deal that is still far too much.
Chungh, 28, was due to make $260,000 in 2020 but his restructured one-year deal will now pay him $165,000 with a signing bonus. The Port Coquitlam, B.C., native was drafted second overall by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the 2015 CFL draft. He joined the Lions in 2019, paying just eight games in his first season with the team.
So is it fair to say the other 3 free agent starting o-linemen won’t be back if this unit needs to be helluva lot better in 2022?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Elks have just released Derek Denis:

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/28/elks ... ek-dennis/

Maybe the Lions should try and sign him. Based on the article it sounds like but they don't specifically say, Denis didn't play for the Elks but just took a suspension in 2021. So if he had 2020 and 2021 off he should be well rested. :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Only if he would be happy. Signs a contract, a week later has buyer's remorse and rather than play decides to sit out. It might just have been the situation but it doesn't necessarily bode well in terms of have a team guy personality. It may be just smoke but I would look at that very carefully and talk to him a whole lot about it before I took the plunge. Having unhappy people in the room is never a good thing.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.