Roughriders at Lions, September 24, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We need a stud defensive tackle to stop the run
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2nd touchdown by Lucky Whitehead
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lucky Whitehead is staking a claim to the leading candidate for MOP.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And a MAJOR choke job by our 2 kickers against the frickin Riders again. Hit the damn field goal and it was a 2 possession lead.and a shanked punt to top it off. Pathetic!!!!!!

8 straight damn losses to them.
Spud387
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 pm
And a MAJOR choke job by our 2 kickers against the frickin Riders again. Hit the damn field goal and it was a 2 possession lead.and a shanked punt to top it off. Pathetic!!!!!!
Yep very unfortunate to mistakes by the kickers. The FG was a long one so not overly critical of that but the botched punt to top it off was just such poor timing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Without a running game it only gets worse for the Lions going forward.
swervynmerv
Legend

That is a totally unacceptable loss. Twice in the 4th quarter the Lions D turns into swiss cheese and let’s the Riders march down the field.

Nice choke job by our kickers too.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

This is not a Lions team that I believe in. Still a lame duck O line.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Fajardo was not in. No way, no how.

And we got screwed on the Reilly spot.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:25 pm
Without a running game it only gets worse for the Lions going forward.
Extremely baffling especially since the pass protection is decent for the most part. We spend a fortune on our offensive line albeit Matthews is sidelined. So is it our blocking schemes? lack of talent? Inferior RBs?
They better figure something out.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Reilly a warrior but his decision making wasn’t the greatest tonight. Really forced some throws including to Burnham in end zone on 2nd to last possession with some wide open options in front of him.

Hard to blame the defence. Missed FG would have clinched then Edwards-Cooper INT could have ended too if the offence could have made a couple of first downs. Instead a shanked punt.
maxlion
Legend

Was Fajardo in? No good tv angle, looked like he was moving forward, but I couldn't tell.

I was surprised by the spot on Reilly's run. Looked like a 1st down to me, but no replay on tv.

The missed field goal and shanked punt were unfortunate, but both kickers have been good all year.

I don't understand why Lions didn't go for the 2 pts on their last TD.

Seemed like some bad luck and bad play in the last few minutes but overall a fun and evenly matched game.

Running game and kick returns not so good.

We may not be worldbeaters yet, but lots of potential.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:55 pm
Was Fajardo in? No good tv angle, looked like he was moving forward, but I couldn't tell.

I was surprised by the spot on Reilly's run. Looked like a 1st down to me, but no replay on tv.

The missed field goal and shanked punt were unfortunate, but both kickers have been good all year.

I don't understand why Lions didn't go for the 2 pts on their last TD.

Seemed like some bad luck and bad play in the last few minutes but overall a fun and evenly matched game.

Running game and kick returns not so good.

We may not be worldbeaters yet, but lots of potential.
Well said. I didn’t have a good angle in the stadium for the spot on Reilly’s last scramble but I thought he was close to the first down.

The game was on the line and the Lions had many chances to put it away. A fumbled punt, missed field goal, a shanked punt and a chance for a goal line stand to clinch the game on third down from the one yard line. The Lions didn’t make plays they needed and the Riders did.

I hope these teams meet again in the playoffs. And I hope the Lions find a way to run the ball between now and then. It’s tough to run out the clock to preserve a win if you can’t run the ball.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions just couldn't stop Riders' short passing game. It was pass, catch and tackle all night. Lions couldn't run the ball if their lives depended on it. 16 total rushing yards just wouldn't cut it. They need a big running back to get the tough yards. The two smurfs in the backfield isn't getting the job done. Defence couldn't stop the run. Lions' next game is against the Blue Bombers with Andrew Harris. If you were the coach what would your game plan be ? Lions on their 2nd bye week after the Bomber game. If I was Campbell, I'd be scouring the continent for a defensive tackle and a running back.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don’t think the Lions’ lack of a running game is the fault of the running backs. The line just isn’t opening holes. So many times tonight a B.C. RB took a handoff and ran into four white shirts with no blockers in front of him. A good running back can make one player miss but not four.