Winnipeg at B.C. Lions June 15, 2019 Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

The reason we are only dressing 2 QB's is most likely cap related. Players earn less on the PR than they do the active roster, so it appears Hervey is penny pinching. I'm not sure if this is a necessity, or if he's doing this to save up money in case he needs to make another addition mid-season, but it looks strictly to be a cap management procedure.

As long as Kraemer and Lloyd get their reps in practice I don't see the difference. Sure it could be an issue in-game if Reilly goes down and there is a problem with O'Brien, but it's an interesting gamble.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm
The reason we are only dressing 2 QB's is most likely cap related. Players earn less on the PR than they do the active roster, so it appears Hervey is penny pinching. I'm not sure if this is a necessity, or if he's doing this to save up money in case he needs to make another addition mid-season, but it looks strictly to be a cap management procedure.

As long as Kraemer and Lloyd get their reps in practice I don't see the difference. Sure it could be an issue in-game if Reilly goes down and there is a problem with O'Brien, but it's an interesting gamble.
Agreed. Activating two QBs instead of three saves a QB's salary. Hamilton did it six times last year, including both games against the Lions.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Game Day roster has been posted:
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... ne-15B.pdf

-10 starting NATs means extra INT backups.
-2 QBs dressed. I guess that means only 43 players dress.
-anyone know how the 2 Global players fit in? Do they replace NATs on the 44 man roster or is it 43? Or are they on the 46 but not dressing? :dizzy: :hypno:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:56 pm
-anyone know how the 2 Global players fit in? Do they replace NATs on the 44 man roster or is it 43? Or are they on the 46 but not dressing? :dizzy: :hypno:
Global players don't affect the ratio of nationals and internationals. Teams must have at least one global player on the 46-man roster (45 in the case of the Lions) and that player must dress. That allows teams to dress 45 players instead of 44, with one reserve (game-day scratch) instead of two as in past years. The Lions and any other teams using only two QBs can dress 44 players instead of 43, with one reserve.

Teams may have up to two global players on the practice roster in addition to the usual 10 practice roster spots for nationals and internationals. The Lions have one global player plus 10 nationals/internationals on their practice roster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:15 am
9 starting nationals. Wow. When was the last time the Lions did that? Is this a reflection of how good are Canadian talent is or the lack of internationals stepping up to earn starting spots such as safety. I'm guessing both.
We probably won't know the answer to that question for a few weeks. Without a doubt, the national starters on both sides of the ball are better than the internationals who were brought into training camp. The Lions are starting three national receivers because they were among the five best receivers in camp. And they're backed up by a global receiver and newly acquired national Rashaun Simonise. Several backup nationals are good enough to start too if needed. Here are some fresh quotes on that topic from Ed Hervey and DeVone Claybrooks, courtesy of Ed Willes:
“As far as we’re concerned, our plan is to always maximize the Canadian talent,” said Hervey. “Everyone’s always asking how can I get to seven (the minimum amount of Canadian starters)? Well what’s wrong with eight or nine or 10? If we can go plus-one or plus-two (on the ratio) it makes us so much better.”

Beyond the questions of quantity, the Canadian starters offer quality. On the offensive line, veteran guard Hunter Steward moves to centre between guards Chungh and David Foucault, who earned a starting job at training camp, The long-awaited Brett Boyko starts at right tackle, giving the Lions a line that averages 6-5 and 310 pounds.

Termansen beat out a couple of imports to win the field corner job. Cottoy, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound athletic freak, was the surprise of training camp.

“We’ve always said the best guys are going to play,” said Claybrooks. “They just happened to be Canadian and in this league you win by having great Canadian depth.”
Ed Willes: Will Lions' bold moves pay off in 2019?
CardiacKid
Legend

Not really in love with the diminished roster, especially if it is being done purely from a $ standpoint. Not sure how the CFLPA would feel about one of their members getting a PR salary instead of an active roster salary.

Very happy to see the additional nationals starting. Hope they acquit themselves well and we continue seeing them.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, who will be the "disguised" 3rd QB. Who else on the lions has any real experience in high school or college?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

It will be a good test of the OLine as they are going up against Willie Jefferson. The individual talent is there, very curious as to how well they will operate as a unit. Jefferson will probably roam up and down the line, looking to create chaos like he usually does.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:15 am
9 starting nationals. Wow. When was the last time the Lions did that? Is this a reflection of how good are Canadian talent is or the lack of internationals stepping up to earn starting spots such as safety. I'm guessing both.
We probably won't know the answer to that question for a few weeks. Without a doubt, the national starters on both sides of the ball are better than the internationals who were brought into training camp. The Lions are starting three national receivers because they were among the five best receivers in camp. And they're backed up by a global receiver and newly acquired national Rashaun Simonise. Several backup nationals are good enough to start too if needed. Here are some fresh quotes on that topic from Ed Hervey and DeVone Claybrooks, courtesy of Ed Willes:
“As far as we’re concerned, our plan is to always maximize the Canadian talent,” said Hervey. “Everyone’s always asking how can I get to seven (the minimum amount of Canadian starters)? Well what’s wrong with eight or nine or 10? If we can go plus-one or plus-two (on the ratio) it makes us so much better.”

Beyond the questions of quantity, the Canadian starters offer quality. On the offensive line, veteran guard Hunter Steward moves to centre between guards Chungh and David Foucault, who earned a starting job at training camp, The long-awaited Brett Boyko starts at right tackle, giving the Lions a line that averages 6-5 and 310 pounds.

Termansen beat out a couple of imports to win the field corner job. Cottoy, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound athletic freak, was the surprise of training camp.

“We’ve always said the best guys are going to play,” said Claybrooks. “They just happened to be Canadian and in this league you win by having great Canadian depth.”
Ed Willes: Will Lions' bold moves pay off in 2019?
Interesting checking the depth charts of the other 3 games this week. I excluded the fullback.

Starting nationals:
Ham 7
Sask 7
Mont 7
Edm 7
Ott 7
Cal 7
Wpg 7
BC 10

Ottawa will be starting an all-Canadian offensive line today. Other 2 starters are on defence.
Both Saskatchewan and Calgary starting 3 internationals on the offensive line. Stamps includes an American at centre.
Bombers stack their starting nationals on offence with six thanks to Harris, 2 receivers and 3 OL.

My concern about did they do a good enough job in international recruiting is bringing Thompson back when everything pointed to an American at safety especially with Termansen at corner. There was also no familiarity factor in Thompson with a new coaching staff.

10 starters is definitely bold and almost unheard of in this era. There is going to be a lot to watch tonight.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While I like the talent on the Lions Oline (and Brian Chiu, the new Oline coach), it is going to take a while for them to gel. Same goes for the DBs.

Free Safety is a position that does not exist in U.S. football so if a INT is playing there it is usually a veteran who knows the nuances of the Canadian game. It looks like there weren't any INTs getting the job done at FS in TC, hence the insertion of Thompson a veteran NAT.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:My concern about did they do a good enough job in international recruiting is bringing Thompson back when everything pointed to an American at safety especially with Termansen at corner. There was also no familiarity factor in Thompson with a new coaching staff.
I don't recall a year quite like this. On the one hand, we appear to have a lot of very talented Nationals on the roster, sprinkled with many locals (e.g. Chungh, Termansen, Konar, Simonise, Lyles) which I love. We've also heard Ed and Davone talk about putting the best players on the field, period.

However, part of me is concerned that is just spin. There haven't been enough International recruits (non FAs) competing for jobs at camp really, for the last two years. To your point, what does that say about our coaches' opinion of the safety position when Thompson gets brought back at the "11th hour" and inserted into the lineup with no training camp or preseason games?

Geroy spent a good part of the off-season travelling all over the United States. We held numerous free agent tryout camps. Torey Hunter has been actively scouting too, and we don't have really anyone to push for jobs. Duron Carter was always going to be a starter. But it would be nice if he had some legitimate competition. Is Matt Boesen really the answer at defensive end or was he just the best of a mediocre bunch?

I guess we're about to find out tonight.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 am
Free Safety is a position that does not exist in U.S. football so if a INT is playing there it is usually a veteran who knows the nuances of the Canadian game. It looks like there weren't any INTs getting the job done at FS in TC, hence the insertion of Thompson a veteran NAT.
Safety and slotback are two positions where the Lions tried to play internationals. Rookie DB Carson Ketter got a lot of reps at safety initially but didn't have the experience needed for the position. He still made the active roster and as is listed as backup nickelback. Keon Lyn, a veteran cornerback, was moved to safety for the second half of training camp but had a terrible preseason game against Calgary and was cut. I still would have liked to see T.J. Lee in that position. I thought Thompson played a lot better last year but his signing was definitely a desperation move to fill a void. National Isaiah Guzylak-Messam was also given reps at safety late in camp and will back up Thompson.

At slotback, Jevon Cottoy just rose up the depth chart in camp and outplayed the American receivers who had been getting reps ahead of him. He might not have made the starting lineup initially if Shaq Hill hadn't been injured but the Lions would have had to find another way to get him on the field.

On the offensive line, the Lions are going with their five best linemen. It took a shuffle of positions to accomplish it but I think this line will excel in opening holes for the running game and will be stronger in the passing game than with Andrew Peirson at centre.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just noticed the Bombers have six ex-Lions in their starting lineup:

OFFENCE
RB Andrew Harris
RT Jermarcus Hardrick

DEFENCE
LB Adam Bighill
SLB Anthony Gaitor
CB Winston Rose
CB Chandler Fenner

Plus, DE Craig Roh is listed as a backup.

Bombers depth chart and roster
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yup. Many questions. Many concerns.

They could all be blown away with a strong performance by our Leos.

The OL looks good from our vantage point. Hoping.

Will Jarious' offence look as good as that of Jason Maas last night with the Schmos? Need convincing. Will our NAT receivers look good with real bullets flying?

Thompson at Safety? I am hoping his lack of productivity in years past was in large part because of scheme and philosophy. Hard to be involved when playing 20 yards deep, in No Man's Land. We need a new name for the position he played under Wally and Mark: Deep Safety. Somewhere back of the goal posts, near the parking lot.

We will see. We have hopes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

It should also be noted that the Bombers will be missing a couple of key starters today. Patrick Neufeld (the starting left guard) and SB Chris Matthews (with the Stamps last season) are both out with injuries.

Neufeld's position will be taken by mostly untested National Cody Speller, while ex-NFLer Lucky Whitehead, who impressed at training camp, will take Matthews' position.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar