Brett Boyko NOT starting in the AAF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:32 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm
If Boyko opts to try the CFL, do the Lions have cap space to meet his expectations and do they have a spot for him on the O-line? I’m doubtful on both counts. He might have more value to the Lions as trade bait.
Jovan Olafiyoe just announced his retirement, so I would think they have the cap space now.
Isn't Olafiyoe currently an unsigned FA, now retired?
Yup. Olafioye was only a cap consideration if Hervey opted to sign him. He was one of the best and I'm proud to be the owner of his game helmet and jersey from 2016. Not surprised though when he wasn't re-signed. Between signing Reilly and Chungh and extending Figueroa the money wouldn't be there. I felt that his play had dropped a fair bit from his old perennial all-star level.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
If Boyko opts to try the CFL, do the Lions have cap space to meet his expectations and do they have a spot for him on the O-line? I’m doubtful on both counts. He might have more value to the Lions as trade bait.
Really depends on where Claybrooks wants to go with the OL; 3 NAT starters or 4. OL can be like defensemen in the NHL. You can never have too many of them and it's never a bad thing to have training camp competition.

Right now they have 7 NAT OL for what could be 4 starting spots and there was talk that Foucault was being shopped around. Definitely thought Boyko could become a trade chip to try getting a draft spot back in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't think he would garner a 1st without more pieces being added into the deal.

NOTE: I had to correct that. Originally I said they have 6 NAT OL competing for starting spots. In fact they have 7. I missed Steward when I sorted the roster by position as he's listed as G while the rest are listed as OL.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:32 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Jovan Olafiyoe just announced his retirement, so I would think they have the cap space now.
Isn't Olafiyoe currently an unsigned FA, now retired?
You are correct. I was thinking he was still under contract because he signed a 3-year deal that lasted through 2019 in Montreal. But he was cut by the Als and then signed by BC, not traded.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:29 pm
Right now they have 6 NAT OL for what could be 4 starting spots and there was talk that Foucault was being shopped around. Definitely thought Boyko could become a trade chip to try getting a draft spot back in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't think he would garner a 1st without more pieces being added into the deal.
I definitely think this is the way to go. I have a hard time seeing Boyko as a good fit with the organization after spurning so many chances to sign here. We've repeatedly asked the Prom Queen to the dance, who keeps waiting for the big man on campus to ask her. He's now decided to take someone else, leaving her available. But even if she says 'yes,' I don't exactly think it's going to be a fun date. Is it 'yes' I am happy to go with you? Or 'yes,' you're my best option at this late date? Methinks it's the latter. :wink:

I am not sure we could get anything higher than a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Boyko turns 27 in August without having played a down of Canadian football. Low mileage on those tires, yes, but he hasn't made much of an impression in pro ball. I see him as Foucault 2.0 (but I may be selling him short as I just haven't see him play).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Really depends on where Claybrooks wants to go with the OL; 3 NAT starters or 4. OL can be like defensemen in the NHL. You can never have too many of them and it's never a bad thing to have training camp competition.

Right now they have 6 NAT OL for what could be 4 starting spots and there was talk that Foucault was being shopped around. Definitely thought Boyko could become a trade chip to try getting a draft spot back in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't think he would garner a 1st without more pieces being added into the deal.

we'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for boyko now ... he has almost no value.

no chance we go to 4 non-imports on OLine ... too hard to replace cdn tackles and imports tackles better and 100k cheaper. Plus we have 2.9million investment at QB.
green road kill
Rookie

Why is there so mutch time and space waisted on Ttrebb Okyob,it a not like
He s going to come here. Besides if he did sign in Canada what would the Americans think.

I could just see it now, OKYOB signsCanada, first the AAF now this the world must truly be combing to an end.
Do nt get me wrong I have nothing against anybody with a shot trying for
NFL millions . But with Okyob it was the tude, he made it more than clear that the last place he would want to be was in the CFL,, with the LEO S or anyone else. Simply because the legue, the players in it ,or the team ,just wasn't up to his standerd.
Who knows maybe we 'll we him next year in the XFL, in a clown wig and face paint, as Shane. S favorite Canadian pet.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 pm
Hambone wrote:
Right now they have 7 NAT OL for what could be 4 starting spots and there was talk that Foucault was being shopped around. Definitely thought Boyko could become a trade chip to try getting a draft spot back in the 1st or 2nd round. I don't think he would garner a 1st without more pieces being added into the deal.
I definitely think this is the way to go. I have a hard time seeing Boyko as a good fit with the organization after spurning so many chances to sign here. We've repeatedly asked the Prom Queen to the dance, who keeps waiting for the big man on campus to ask her. He's now decided to take someone else, leaving her available. But even if she says 'yes,' I don't exactly think it's going to be a fun date. Is it 'yes' I am happy to go with you? Or 'yes,' you're my best option at this late date? Methinks it's the latter. :wink:

I am not sure we could get anything higher than a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Boyko turns 27 in August without having played a down of Canadian football. Low mileage on those tires, yes, but he hasn't made much of an impression in pro ball. I see him as Foucault 2.0 (but I may be selling him short as I just haven't see him play).

DH :cool:
I don't think the club holds any of that against him. There's really no reason to. NFL teams have found enough there to keep working with him up until final cuts last September when the CFL season was already half over. He knows and the club should accept that had he signed last September or signs any time in the near future he is permanently closing the door on his NFL dream.

If one looks back on the timeline of Boyko's NFL resume there hasn't been much opportunity for BC to lure him away until this past September. As I've opined many times before there's not much money being left on the table to skip the final 7 or 8 games of a CFL season if a player and his agent believe there's a reasonable chance an NFL phone might ring if one of the 32 teams runs into injury problems.

For the Lions this past fall the fly in the ointment was the AAF. It gave Boyko and many others a chance to buy some time to keep their NFL dream alive albeit on life support. He'd easily make more than he would have if he came to the CFL last September and he'd still be in a position to accept another NFL opportunity if it presented itself or still go to the CFL this coming season.

Boyko's football unemployment resume:
Sept 2015 - 2 days between being a final cut by the Eagles and added to their PR.
May 2016 - 2 weeks between being released by the Eagles and signed by the Chargers.
Sept 2016 - 4 weeks between being a final cut by the Chargers and signed to their PR. No doubt when they cut him they told him not to get too far away from his phone. At the end of the season they signed him to a reserve/future contract.
Sept 2017 - 1 day between being a final cut by the Chargers and being added to their to their PR.
Dec/Jan 2017 - 4 days between being released by the Chargers at the end of the season and being signed to another reserve/future contract.
Sept 2018 to Dec 2018 - 3 months between being a final cut by the Chargers and signing in the AAF.

IMO last September was the first time BC could realistically pursue Boyko since they drafted him. However there was that pimple on the CFL's butt known as the AAF which provided Boyko with an option that could still keep his NFL dream alive. With that bubble bursting we may finally be at a point where for the first time Boyko has to look at the CFL as his most attractive option to continue his playing career.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

green road kill wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am
He s going to come here. Besides if he did sign in Canada what would the Americans think.

I could just see it now, OKYOB signsCanada, first the AAF now this the world must truly be combing to an end.
NFL millions . But with Okyob it was the tude, he made it more than clear that the last place he would want to be was in the CFL,, with the LEO S or anyone else. Simply because the legue, the players in it ,or the team ,just wasn't up to his standerd.
Who knows maybe we 'll we him next year in the XFL, in a clown wig and face paint, as Shane. S favorite Canadian pet.
Agree totally
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:26 pm
green road kill wrote:

Agree totally
Disagree totally
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:38 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:26 pm
green road kill wrote:

Agree totally
Disagree totally
confused totally
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:wink: :wink: :wink:
JohnnyMusso
Champion

green road kill wrote:

Who is Ttrebb Okyob? I know who you mean just do not understand why you printed his name backwards throughout. This might be the post of the year for its originality.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 pm
green road kill wrote:

Who is Ttrebb Okyob? I know who you mean just do not understand why you printed his name backwards throughout. This might be the post of the year for its originality.
even then, he spelled it wrong :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 pm

we'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for boyko now ... he has almost no value.

no chance we go to 4 non-imports on OLine ... too hard to replace cdn tackles and imports tackles better and 100k cheaper. Plus we have 2.9million investment at QB.
And there wouldn't be some offsetting savings at one of the other starting positions they could go INT instead of NAT thanks to being able to go 4 starters on the OL? The one difference now is they have 3 NATs under contract who are of prototypical tackle size who played tackle collegiately; Steward, Foucault and Knevel. 2 of the 3 came out of the same US college system that provides us with the "better" INT tackles. They are defacto INTs who happen to hold NAT citizenship. But I guess they can always plug Antonio Johnson back in there.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:06 pm
Qman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 pm

But I guess they can always plug Antonio Johnson back in there.
Antonio Johnson is gone. I think he is a free agent and Lions did not resign him so he is not an option anymore.